× 19 (40.43%) Mad Max: Fury Road

× 8 (17.02%) The Martian

× 12 (25.53%) The Revenant

× 2 (4.26%) Room

× 1 (2.13%) Spotlight

• Added 02-16-2016 05:52 PM
  • 47 votes
Who's do you want to win Best Picture? Discuss your favorite:

Of this list of nominees, I am torn between my personal favorite of Mad Max: Fury Road and one helluva film in The Revenant. Room and The Martian were both very good as well. I bet it's going to go to Spotlight or The Revenant however. One thing I think is being easily overlooked is Mad Max's 9 nominations. Nine. That's right. Nine.
I have only seen Bridge of Spies, The Martian and Mad Max. Based on that I would say The Martian
I see we mostly want Max to win. Based on the three you've seen, I agree that the cinematic range of the Martian would have the edge.

The old facts who vote won't recognize Max for the greatness it will ultimately inspire.
Is it just me, or does it seem like a weak Oscar year overall?
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
Weak in what sense?
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
Yes it does. There's only 8 of 10 films even nominated, which is odd, and the nominees aren't really all that good. I enjoyed them, but none of these films would rank against previous noms
As porsche said, weak in terms of quality and even quantity versus other winners and nominees in previous years. There were several I enjoyed this year, to be sure, but it strikes me as a little light now that I see the year in review.
I see 8 Best Picture Nominees, which is in line with the 8-10 per year.

I see 19 films nominated in the major categories, also, pretty much in line with previous years.

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight
Trumbo
Steve Jobs
The Danish Girl
Carol
Joy
45 Years
Creed
The Hateful Eight
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Straight Outta Compton (The Citizen Kane award...)

All received at least one nominee in one or more of the categories of Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Screenplay.

That isn't even touching any of the technical awards, Score or Soundtrack, Animated, Foreign, Short films, Documentaries...

Once again, quantity wise, this is pretty spot on year-over-year. Quality wise, I cannot speak to, I have only actually watched Creed, Mad Max, and Straight Outta Compton.
It's more that some of these films may have never even been close to nomination in other years, not to mention I don't really feel there's any clear front-runners this year.
Speaking of which, this is as good a chance as Leo may ever have given the circumstances.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account