Questions for Xbox One owners without a Kinect

Xbox One / Series X|S

Found 24 posts - Go to Last Post

I cashed in all my Credit Card points and have enough to pick the One. I keep looking over the choices at Best Buy and can not just outright pick one. Every console bundle has one aspect I want that the other doesn't. The winner would be:

Kinect
1 TB
Star Wars Edition Console
$400

I don't think it will happen, So quick question to the Xbox One owners who don't have a Kinect:

Can you still save film clips without the Kinect via the mic or do you need the Kinect?
Same question if you want to broadcast / stream on Twitch.
you can record clips without the Kinect, but just not with your own voice (I have the XB1 with Kinect but i havent it Always connected to my XB1)
you can record clips without the Kinect, but just not with your own voice (I have the XB1 with Kinect but i havent it Always connected to my XB1)
Originally Posted by Mardagg
When not using the Kinect, how are you initiating the recording?
The Controller, by double press the Xbox button and then press Y or X (its one of them at least, if its Y then X is for Screenshot).... Yeah I know it sucks.....thats why I cant wait for the ChatPad so I can program the extra two buttons for Screenshot and Record
Last edited 08-15-2015 at 09:07 PM by Mardagg.
Mardagg is correct. Double tap Guide/Home/Xbox button on your controller. Y for a screenshot, X for record that. It's not as fluid as hollering at the Kinect, but easy enough still.

For streaming on twitch, no one really cares if they can see you or not, unless you are a girl (and then you may not want to be seen).
when it comes to Twitch you dont need to have Kinect. you just Snap the app and then choose Broadcast there. I know it works coz i streamed a week or so back without the Kinect, a friend of mine wanted to see Forza 5.
Mardagg is correct. Double tap Guide/Home/Xbox button on your controller. Y for a screenshot, X for record that. It's not as fluid as hollering at the Kinect, but easy enough still.

For streaming on twitch, no one really cares if they can see you or not, unless you are a girl (and then you may not want to be seen).
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
Good point. Ok the controller being able to recording is leaning me towards not getting the Kinect somewhat.
As said above, controller for the screenshot and recordings.

As for twitch, yes you can broadcast, but it will be only broadcasting the game without your own view. You cannot talk either. If you snap it the chat will appear that way. You can read what other people say, but you cannot talk to them. You can typ in the chat if you use a PC or in snap, but then again, you will have difficulties multitasking.

Keep in mind that some games will be uncompletable without a Kinect.
As said above, controller for the screenshot and recordings.

As for twitch, yes you can broadcast, but it will be only broadcasting the game without your own view. You cannot talk either. If you snap it the chat will appear that way. You can read what other people say, but you cannot talk to them. You can typ in the chat if you use a PC or in snap, but then again, you will have difficulties multitasking.

Keep in mind that some games will be uncompletable without a Kinect.
Originally Posted by Musquito
The plan was to always get a Kinect, but looks like Microsoft is doing away with it. Not a single new console is bundled with it, not even the Halo one. The only option really is a 500 MB one that must be the launch model and they still want $500 for that.
The plan was to always get a Kinect, but looks like Microsoft is doing away with it. Not a single new console is bundled with it, not even the Halo one. The only option really is a 500 MB one that must be the launch model and they still want $500 for that.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
I barely use my kinect for one, just once for the ESPN app. I got my day one edition for $450 on Amazon.
Buy a bigger house

Microsoft is a big American company for people with big American houses and big American hands. Just like the original Xbox controllers that were too large for half the world to use, Microsoft seems oblivious to the space available to Europeans and Asians in their homes. The solution? Buy a bigger house dummy! It’ll be worth it when all those triple-A Kinect titles hit the market.

Buy new lights

Kinect wants to see you clearly, so you better make sure it can. Some types of strip lighting won’t work and although it uses infra-red to detect your movement, the facial recognition needs light.

Don’t slouch

You may remember all the fuss about Kinect use while seated. Basically, they never thought about gamers who play on the sofa. It seems that Microsoft has fixed this problem now, but come on. Who wants to sit while playing games when they could be standing up in a cavernous, well lit aircraft hangar?

Move your speakers/buy a new tv

The layout of your television speakers affects whether you play Kinect on top of or below your TV. If you get interference, just buy a new TV or speaker system. You might as well splash the cash. After all, you’ve already invested in a big house and new lights and as such, presumably no longer have a girlfriend or wife to anger with your extravagant purchases.

Move everyone out of the way

You've already seen the videos online of people hurting each other while playing, so move your friends out the way. I mean completely out of the way. Idealy they shouldn’t be on the camera but to be safe, just don’t tell your friends where your new house is. You don’t need them any more anyway, you have Kinect!

Get saving

You don’t get Kinect for free you know, bringing you the f*ture today costs money. Its gonna cost $150 or £130 (Kinect cares not for fair exchange rates). Then you have to buy the games. Don’t worry, they cater to the hardcore gamers as much as the casuals. Check out those pics!

Change your wardrobe

You’ll have to wear clothes that Kinect can pick out from the background. Once again, Kinect gives you fun but makes you a better person too. Its Queer Eye insists you dress brightly, no more black t-shirts and dark gaming rooms for you tubby, time to fashionize!

*Note, apparently this is no longer an issue, so you don't need to buy new clothes. Just as well, you won't have any money left after all those great launch titles!*

Uh-oh, are you even Kinect ready?

The newest Xbox’s describe themselves as Kinect ready. What does this mean? Simply that they don’t require an additional power supply for Kinect. What if you’re not Kinect ready? Well its back to the power block of doom for you!

Kinect despises mess! Clean up your floor or Kinect will be unable to find the ground level and the game won’t work. Kinect: the Mary Poppins of consoles. Only less British, and more demanding.

In case you think I’m biased….

There is no doubt that standing up in a barn with a stadium lighting system, wearing a neon tracksuit and playing your Kinect on your new TV and speakers without your friends is awesome. What could be more awesome though? Perhaps waving glowing neon s*x toys to play a game almost indistinguishable from Wii sports.

One final tip: Microsoft has said that you want to put as much distance between you and the Kinect sensor as possible. I suggest serious gamers do just that.
Noted, Microsoft also sells the house then?
when I bought my XB1 for 250€, I thought it was the one with out the KInect, but when i got it, I saw it was the Kinect Bundle.
I have Kinect for both XB1 and X360, and i must say XB1 one is MUCH better then previous one. I love the part that it actually see me now (old one had issues with my kids and seeing them while we were playing with them) and I love the IR-Blaster in XB1 version, so with one remote on my XB1 I can controll TV, tv-box and reciver. makes it so much easier
My wife and I are playing in the same living room (TV next to each other), mine got no Kinect, hers got a Kinect, but we had to put a towel over it because everything I passed by to go to the kitchen, it immediately recognize me and signed me in (same way if my wife passed by if I was playing). Very annoying. We only have one Kinect to play some kinect games and to be able to complete games that requires kinect for one or multiple achievements.
All the other functions we do not use. Our language is not even Kinect ready...
Our language is not even Kinect ready...
Originally Posted by Musquito
Neither is mine, hell we didnt get Xb1 until a year after the initial release (officially that will say, coz we could import it from Germany or UK)
I just change it to English and off we go Big Grin Im using English language more then i use Swedish anyway Big Grin
I am using English too. Hate that the snap achievements is otherwise in Dutch or even worse in French. I hated even more that the games started up in Dutch (but not the Flemish Dutch, but the Holland Dutch).
Wait so the new x1 consoles are not Kinect ready? You still need to buy an additional power source if you didn't buy the day one bundles? I don't think that's the case. Marv you may want to check some local pawn shops for a Kinect stand alone sensor and or Ebay or something. I'm sure you can find one pretty cheap.

I like it, its voice control is a nice feature. I think it got a bad rap, but I also see the disenchantment with it. If the did support it with a better quality of game I think it could be saved, but I see the reasoning for not supporting it too. Its a luxury item. You don't absolutely need it to enjoy the One but I personally like it.
Wait so the new x1 consoles are not Kinect ready? You still need to buy an additional power source if you didn't buy the day one bundles? I don't think that's the case. Marv you may want to check some local pawn shops for a Kinect stand alone sensor and or Ebay or something. I'm sure you can find one pretty cheap.

I like it, its voice control is a nice feature. I think it got a bad rap, but I also see the disenchantment with it. If the did support it with a better quality of game I think it could be saved, but I see the reasoning for not supporting it too. Its a luxury item. You don't absolutely need it to enjoy the One but I personally like it.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Here is the link you can see for yourself http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...DCondition~New

I also don't have any pawn shops near me. Don't do ebay. I rather buy new.
You two are misunderstanding each other. There is no such thing as an X1 that is not Kinect-ready. It isn't like the 360. Marv is saying that no X1 bundles, packages including games and larger hard drives, are not being packaged with Kinects. Yes, if you buy a Kinect separate, which you can at any store, you can plug it in to any X1 with a single connection (Kinection?) and you are good to go.

And Marv, screw the bundles, there is no value to them, buy a base console with Kinect and play you existing backlog of GwG.
Futiles is correct. No Kinects come with the new Ones, but you can buy it separately of course.

Yeah, I wasn't going to buy any of the bundles, they are the same price as buying the items separately. I just didn't omit them from the search I did.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account