Not sure if there's already a thread on this, but does anyone on this wonderful site delve into the magics of literature? If so what are your favorite books/authors/series?
I thought this might be a thread about "books" and not actually books.

Frown
I thought this might be a thread about "books" and not actually books.

Frown
Originally Posted by futiles
I wish I knew what that meant.
Some of my favorite book series' are:
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
The Xanth series by Lloyd Alexander.

There are a lot of good books to read out there.
Some of my favorite book series' are:
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
The Xanth series by Lloyd Alexander.

There are a lot of good books to read out there.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
Xanth, shouldn't that be Piers Anthony...

Used to read a ton of his stuff.

Tops now:
Brandon Sanderson - anything he writes
George RR Martin - way before it was on TV
Orson Scott Card
Robin Hobb
Patrick Rothfuss
Anybody enjoy the bottom rung of the literary ladder known as video game tie-in's? Because I sure do!
If so I would definitely recommend the Doom novels from the mid-90's.
They're bad, but in the Troll 2 type of bad, pure cheese all the way through.
I'll second votes for The Sword of Truth and A Song of Ice and Fire and add:

the Age of Fire series by E.E. Knight
the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik
His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
the Pathfinder series by Orson Scott Card
the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey
the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold
and the Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card (in case my gamertag isn't enough of a hint that I like them)
If so I would definitely recommend the Doom novels from the mid-90's.
They're bad, but in the Troll 2 type of bad, pure cheese all the way through.
Originally Posted by Langhostio
Oh god, flood of memories. I read those as well. Pure trash, but I enjoyed the crap out of reading them.
You know, I have like 400 hardback books, nearly all with sleeves and sleeve jackets (because I'm insane) and I don't know what to do with them. They are just stored in boxes in my basement. Lots of good fantasy stuff mentioned here, sci-fi, and mystery/thriller.

Personally, my favorites are DragonLance & Sword of Truth (although he got a little too preachy around the 4th or 5th book for my taste and I didn't read the rest).
You know, I have like 400 hardback books, nearly all with sleeves and sleeve jackets (because I'm insane) and I don't know what to do with them. They are just stored in boxes in my basement. Lots of good fantasy stuff mentioned here, sci-fi, and mystery/thriller.

Personally, my favorites are DragonLance & Sword of Truth (although he got a little too preachy around the 4th or 5th book for my taste and I didn't read the rest).
Originally Posted by Kaens
I donated about 300 books to Goodwill or some other thrift store. And then the remaining 300+ were ruined in Katrina. So, now I read, and give away, unless I really liked it and would read it again.

My comics, I keep, but, I bring them with me to things like Achievement Fest so others can read them, too.
I own every Star Wars Novel in Hard Cover except one of the Han Solo books that I cant find for a decent price. I do have it in soft cover though as well as all of the ones that were never published in Hard Cover.

I have all the Halo books, Gears books and The Mass Effect books(these were great in my opinion)
Fhsguy,

You're right. That was supposed to be:
The Xanth series by Piers Anthony
and
The Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander (The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, etc.)
I've only read a handful of sci fi books in my life. I think one was by Alan Dean Foster, but it's been so long, I forget was it was about. Also, read I,robot and Fahrenheit 451 in school. Also, while in school read the almost mandatory 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World, and Catcher in the Rye. I don't have kids, so I don't know what schools assign for reading nowadays.

Autobiography's on Jim Morrison, Harry Houdini, Frank Zappa, and George Formen. All I would recommend, but if your not a fan of The Doors or Frank Zappa you probably wouldn't care for those. The Houdini bio was far more interesting than I ever expected.

I don't do much reading nowadays unless I'm on a long flight or train ride. For those times I find John Grisham a good read. I know people like to hate on him, but his novels flow easy and quick.

I was a fan of Stephen King, but have found his latest novels to be sub par. Books like Misery, Pet Cementary, and The Gunslinger I couldn't put down.

I read a couple books by Dean Koontz who is probably Stephen's biggest competition, but found I couldn't read his books without a dictionary by my side.
Autobiography's on Jim Morrison, Harry Houdini, Frank Zappa, and George Formen. All I would recommend, but if your not a fan of The Doors or Frank Zappa you probably wouldn't care for those. The Houdini bio was far more interesting than I ever expected.
Originally Posted by MrGompers
Autobiographies?
I own every Star Wars Novel in Hard Cover except one of the Han Solo books that I cant find for a decent price. I do have it in soft cover though as well as all of the ones that were never published in Hard Cover.

I have all the Halo books, Gears books and The Mass Effect books(these were great in my opinion)
Originally Posted by Sith Rick
I used to read a TON of Star Wars novels. Really enjoyed the Drew Karpyshn ones and pretty much anything to do with the Seth era.
I read a lot of different stuff, I used to serial read, started with Mack Bolan back when I was a kid he was written by Don Pendelton back then and the series was called The Executioner. Mack Bolan since went on to be written by a menu ghost writer started but never kept up I left the series at 100...

I also read all the old Stephen King stories up to his duel books the last Richard Bachman novel Tbe Regulators and Desperation two different universes with the same characters really reminded me of the whole Crisis at DC.

I also used to read the Star Wars stuff but gave up, just too many and with Lucas explaining that they were not official lore it kind of number me out. Although some still peek my interest, the was one about Zombie Stormtroopers that was supposed to be really good.

I like true crime especially anything dealing with serial or mass murders, anyone uncaught is Jack the Ripper or the Zodiac.

Then there is odd stuff, Johny Get Your Gun by Timmothy Dalton or Alice Doesn't Live here by anonymous.

Read two biographies on wrestlers, The Rock and Mankind both good. I'm currently reading I am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne and then I'll probably re read my H.P. Lovecraft complete works because that guy is just pure awesome..
Autobiographies?
Originally Posted by futiles
LOL that should have been biographies, altho I think the Frank Zappa book was a true autobiography.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account