Found 26 posts - Go to Last Post


Yay for flame wars. :crazy:
Originally Posted by Dvader83
It isn't a flame war. That would be very different.

Exactly why I will never be staff member at a site unless it's my own.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Sometimes, that is a good plan.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Maybe you could tell me what it means to be a staff member, because so far I don't think I have been doing a bad job. Hey I don't get paid for this I don't get any special treatment other than having a STAFF designation and access to some control of moderations. I'm not abusive, I don't hold grudges and I am very fair and listen to everyone and their ideas. I'm not an extreme right or left wing trying to get only things I want instigated, that's just bad business all round. I mind my P's & Q's and try to not stir the pot. Being objectionable and not throwing temper tantrums nor openly attacking is something any good staff member should do. It is said that learning has it's curves and that no question is a dumb question and that all input or options should be herd and pondered with respect. Maybe I'm not as educated as some maybe I'm more educated than others, but level of education has nothing to do with respect or ideas or respect of ideas. My opinions and ideas are just that, opinions and ideas. If you personally do not like them that is fine I respect that, but don't try to make this all about me. Really I'm not that important.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I'm not sure you do, since I have sent stuff to you privately in the past about it. It does not matter if you are paid or not. It does not matter if staff means just a moderator or a full fledged site developer. Any other site I have ever been involved with has rules for staff, with the most important being, "You are now a reflection of the site, and how you say something matters MORE than what you say." If GTN does not have basic guidelines for staff and staff interactions with the userbase in public, than you have been subjected to a great disservice. Anytime a staff member expresses a statement, without clarification, it can be considered as fact and source. This isn't just with websites, this is the entirety of the corporate structure. I CANNOT issue a statement as a manager of my company, as any statement I make can be used in press releases and news reports as a statement of fact. We have an entire department devoted to this, and as a manager, I am expressly directed to point any inquiries in that direction.

As I have said before, not only are you staff, but you are the only visible staff, since none of the others post or help you out. That makes your statements even more visible and authoritative. Which means that you have to be more careful.

A general user can post any level of asshatery they desire, and it will be take as such. A staff member making the exact same post completely changes the post and the situation.

So, no, as the face of the site in the forums, you cannot just post an opinion in such a matter of fact way, and expect it to be the same as if Kaens, or Hotdog, or Prelude, or Dvader, or I posted it. And if you don't understand THAT difference, than, there is nothing else to say. If you think you are no different than a user, but just with mod powers, than you never will.
Yay for flame wars. :crazy:
Originally Posted by Dvader83
Please no flame wars.

Thank You
Sentimentalnoos
http://www.gamertagnation.com/leader...eaderboard-228 Live in Texas? Here is the leaderboard for you!
Like
03-03-2015 02:56 PM StaffPremium
tldr; Other than the part where Kaens would ban everybody from his site...
Have you joined the soon to be #1 leaderboard on the site? If you ever enjoyed 360voice(or even if you haven't been there), please join:
http://www.gamertagnation.com/leader...aderboard-149/
tldr; Other than the part where Kaens would ban everybody from his site...
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Smile . . . . . . . . .
let's just get the rest of the GTN team in here and have a party Party
I'm the kind of guy who stops the microwave at 1 second just to feel like a bomb defuser.

Do you think you can be a badass in my leaderboard?? GTN Badass of the Month
Read Me --->Member of the Month Interview
It isn't a flame war. That would be very different.



Sometimes, that is a good plan.



I'm not sure you do, since I have sent stuff to you privately in the past about it. It does not matter if you are paid or not. It does not matter if staff means just a moderator or a full fledged site developer. Any other site I have ever been involved with has rules for staff, with the most important being, "You are now a reflection of the site, and how you say something matters MORE than what you say." If GTN does not have basic guidelines for staff and staff interactions with the userbase in public, than you have been subjected to a great disservice. Anytime a staff member expresses a statement, without clarification, it can be considered as fact and source. This isn't just with websites, this is the entirety of the corporate structure. I CANNOT issue a statement as a manager of my company, as any statement I make can be used in press releases and news reports as a statement of fact. We have an entire department devoted to this, and as a manager, I am expressly directed to point any inquiries in that direction.

As I have said before, not only are you staff, but you are the only visible staff, since none of the others post or help you out. That makes your statements even more visible and authoritative. Which means that you have to be more careful.

A general user can post any level of asshatery they desire, and it will be take as such. A staff member making the exact same post completely changes the post and the situation.

So, no, as the face of the site in the forums, you cannot just post an opinion in such a matter of fact way, and expect it to be the same as if Kaens, or Hotdog, or Prelude, or Dvader, or I posted it. And if you don't understand THAT difference, than, there is nothing else to say. If you think you are no different than a user, but just with mod powers, than you never will.
Originally Posted by futiles
First of all thank you for your compliment. I see your point and that is the base of the problem here (that and this thread had gone way off subject.. so let me boil it down to this. GTN is not a huge company (though I would love it to be, in a way) I think your reading too much into this. We don't have a PR department here. When I go to my local Walmart, Target or Best Buy I don't take every thing that a line employe says to heart or as company policy. I never stated I was speaking on behalf of GTN Policy. I'm trying to help out here. I even posted to go ahead and do it just be careful with your dealings. I would think that would have been under more scrutiny as GTN fact then the misnomer of "I don't think" maybe your right maybe I shouldn't say I but then that will get very hard for me to do my job as a staff member. I'm not sure why we are even getting up in arms about this, when has anything I have said ever been construed as matter of fact and site policy? I point out site guidelines and ask people to be civil, I even say I will look into things or bring things up to the programers or to Eric the man himself, but I have never once said that "this IS GTN policy" unless it was. My apologies to Sentimentalnoos, for hijacking his thread and to any other member who thought this was a something other than what is was an elevated off subject debate. If you think this a flame war or me in particular being rude or abusive my apologies to you as well futiles and to Dvader. It is never my intent to belittle anyone, especially on an open forum. I think if needed we can make this discussion somewhere else.

From now on I will clearly state if I am speaking of my personal opinion or for the site it self.
Life goal own all retail X-Box games. My collection: X-Box: 535, X-Box 360: 1204, One: 178
Let us get to know you: I want to be on the spotlight 2.0 Join here to enter GTN's monthly Challenge: Challenge, What Challenge...

Sign up for a new account. It's free and easy!

Sign up for an account

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account

Similar Threads

Thread Title Forum Replies Last Post
Started by MrGompers
Gaming Chat 6 04-25-2016 07:26 PM
Started by Done
FIFA 15 0 09-17-2014 03:23 AM
Started by B8TINGU
Tech & Electronics 3 02-05-2014 11:26 PM