Games With Gold question

Gaming Chat

Found 31 posts - Go to Last Post


What do you do with your disc copy of a game made available through Games With Gold?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 25 (51.02%) Keep it, I'm a collector

× 20 (40.82%) Sell it, trade it, give it away...its more space and money for more games

× 1 (2.04%) Turn it into a drink coaster or hang it from the rearview mirror

× 3 (6.12%) Games With What?


  • Added 12-30-2014 10:28 AM
  • 49 votes
So when a game is offered through the Games With Gold promotion and you already own a disc version of the offered game, what do you do with the disc version?
Personally, keep it. Why trade in an lose money on a real disc? Even though I D/L the digital version I usually delete it (why take up unnecessary space on your HD) the digital copy or cancel the D/L (it's more of a back up/second copy anyway) I also don't put a lot of stock into Digital anyway due to the impending doomer outlook of shut down servers but that it very end game type of scenario, I suppose if you have the digital copy when MS closes service to Live and your Xbox breaks you won't be able to re download the game.
Life goal own all retail X-Box games. My collection: X-Box: 535, X-Box 360: 1204, One: 178
Let us get to know you: I want to be on the spotlight 2.0 Join here to enter GTN's monthly Challenge: Challenge, What Challenge...
Toss the disc out a window, or give it to a passing vagabond, or maybe even give it to Best Buy.

But, once I have it digital, I have no need for the disc.
Personally, keep it. Why trade in an lose money on a real disc? Even though I D/L the digital version I usually delete it (why take up unnecessary space on your HD) the digital copy or cancel the D/L (it's more of a back up/second copy anyway) I also don't put a lot of stock into Digital anyway due to the impending doomer outlook of shut down servers but that it very end game type of scenario, I suppose if you have the digital copy when MS closes service to Live and your Xbox breaks you won't be able to re download the game.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I knew this would be your answer and after reading your reason I completely agree. The only game where this situation has happened for me is Viva Pinata: TiP. I would definitely lose money by selling it because I doubt people want to add it to their collection unless they are hardcore collectors like you.

With the Xbox One and how Microsoft and Xbox want everything to go digital are you sure they'll shut the service down? Are there two different digital services, one for 360 and another for One? That type of talk is making me worried about all the games I have purchased online including the arcade games that don't have disc versions.
I've never understood how you could "lose money" on something that you are receiving money back for. You "lost money" when you paid for the game originally. Selling it back only recoups some of that money lost, and is not an additional loss. On top of that, you still have a copy of the game via a free download. Sitting on your shelf, the game is generating you zero dollars, selling/trading it generates positive dollars, regardless of how few those dollars may be, so thus has to be classified as a gain, not a loss.

If you want to argue that you are not getting back your full purchase price, that would be silly considering you never bought the original product as an investment that was intended to gain value and be resold for a profit.

This was just my perspective, I'm not a collector. Of the 450 "retail" games on my card (non-arcade), I only still have around 7% of those on disc still in my possession. I don't fault anyone who enjoys collecting games as a hobby for wanting to keep physical copies, but their worth can be very subjective.
Adding nothing constructive to a thread near you

What exactly is the point of this thread?
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I've never understood how you could "lose money" on something that you are receiving money back for. You "lost money" when you paid for the game originally. Selling it back only recoups some of that money lost, and is not an additional loss. On top of that, you still have a copy of the game via a free download. Sitting on your shelf, the game is generating you zero dollars, selling/trading it generates positive dollars, regardless of how few those dollars may be, so thus has to be classified as a gain, not a loss.

If you want to argue that you are not getting back your full purchase price, that would be silly considering you never bought the original product as an investment that was intended to gain value and be resold for a profit.

This was just my perspective, I'm not a collector. Of the 450 "retail" games on my card (non-arcade), I only still have around 7% of those on disc still in my possession. I don't fault anyone who enjoys collecting games as a hobby for wanting to keep physical copies, but their worth can be very subjective.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee

WHAT THE HELL MAN?!?!?!?!

Facts, logic, and math is my thing! You need to stop stealing my schtick.
I've never understood how you could "lose money" on something that you are receiving money back for. You "lost money" when you paid for the game originally. Selling it back only recoups some of that money lost, and is not an additional loss. On top of that, you still have a copy of the game via a free download. Sitting on your shelf, the game is generating you zero dollars, selling/trading it generates positive dollars, regardless of how few those dollars may be, so thus has to be classified as a gain, not a loss.

If you want to argue that you are not getting back your full purchase price, that would be silly considering you never bought the original product as an investment that was intended to gain value and be resold for a profit.

This was just my perspective, I'm not a collector. Of the 450 "retail" games on my card (non-arcade), I only still have around 7% of those on disc still in my possession. I don't fault anyone who enjoys collecting games as a hobby for wanting to keep physical copies, but their worth can be very subjective.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
Worth of anything is in the eye of the beholder, I know 99% of my games are probably not worth much and they few limited or collectors editions are again only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. To me it's just something to do to have maybe as years go by maybe I might find that one collector willing to purchase an entire collection for my price, but the chances of that are like getting hit by lightning.. it's a me thing or an OCD thing or a something all I know is it brings me happiness and if it weighs differently for you then don't do it, everyone is different.

As for the digital question... just let me ask you this? How many Original Xbox Live Arcade games are still supported? How many original Xbox retail games can you currently download and how do they run on the 360? And I have yet to hear anything about 360 or original xbox games porting over to the ONE besides the cross gen ones we have now. (Though I'm sure we'll get some at some point)

I know people don't like to play the older games and the graphics go to hell and licensing is an issue plus the marketability and I don't know/remember if the original Xbox even had Arcade games to D/L or if that is just a 7th (360) generation thing, it seems pretty new territory.

Though PS and Nintendo have been supporting older games, it doesn't look like MS has been, maybe they will someday.
Life goal own all retail X-Box games. My collection: X-Box: 535, X-Box 360: 1204, One: 178
Let us get to know you: I want to be on the spotlight 2.0 Join here to enter GTN's monthly Challenge: Challenge, What Challenge...
Worth of anything is in the eye of the beholder, I know 99% of my games are probably not worth much and they few limited or collectors editions are again only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. To me it's just something to do to have maybe as years go by maybe I might find that one collector willing to purchase an entire collection for my price, but the chances of that are like getting hit by lightning.. it's a me thing or an OCD thing or a something all I know is it brings me happiness and if it weighs differently for you then don't do it, everyone is different.

As for the digital question... just let me ask you this? How many Original Xbox Live Arcade games are still supported? How many original Xbox retail games can you currently download and how do they run on the 360? And I have yet to hear anything about 360 or original xbox games porting over to the ONE besides the cross gen ones we have now. (Though I'm sure we'll get some at some point)

I know people don't like to play the older games and the graphics go to hell and licensing is an issue plus the marketability and I don't know/remember if the original Xbox even had Arcade games to D/L or if that is just a 7th (360) generation thing, it seems pretty new territory.

Though PS and Nintendo have been supporting older games, it doesn't look like MS has been, maybe they will someday.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
You probably shouldn't talk sometimes...

Nintendo and Sony both cut backwards compatibility before Microsoft did. They both did it silently too.

The Wii started fully Gamecube compatible, then for the last 3 years, it has not been. PS3 stopped playing PS2 games after 1 year. PS4 do not play PS3 at all, well, you can buy new digital versions for PS4 of some PS3 games, but, that doesn't sound like your thing.

Xbox Live Arcade launched on the Original Xbox.

Sony has been less than supportive of their portable systems, in fact, it is SEGA level of "OH SHIT! LET'S TRY AGAIN!"

And, still, in no way have you proven "losing money"
Theoretically the PS4 can play PS3 games through their streaming service, however it is abusively overpriced and during the beta the 2 free things I 'rented' to test it were never able to launch so I can't comment on if it works at all.
You probably shouldn't talk sometimes...

Nintendo and Sony both cut backwards compatibility before Microsoft did. They both did it silently too.

The Wii started fully Gamecube compatible, then for the last 3 years, it has not been. PS3 stopped playing PS2 games after 1 year. PS4 do not play PS3 at all, well, you can buy new digital versions for PS4 of some PS3 games, but, that doesn't sound like your thing.

Xbox Live Arcade launched on the Original Xbox.

Sony has been less than supportive of their portable systems, in fact, it is SEGA level of "OH SHIT! LET'S TRY AGAIN!"

And, still, in no way have you proven "losing money"
Originally Posted by futiles
I understand I don't know everything and I was aware that Nintendo had cut some of their support but not all of it. I'm not a Nintendo or PS guy so please excuse me if I was blissfully ignorant of their support functions. You even state they did it silently so how would I have known? Unless I was a PS or Nintendo gamer, or I guess could have searched it up, but considering this is an Xbox site I wan't going to put that much effort into it. I figured if it was wrong someone would probably come along and tell me otherwise, but then again I also don't know everything MS or Xbox but hey I try and I will say if I'm not 100% positive on things.

As for proving my point I was not trying to do that but ok, I guess I should've said I don't like others cashing in on my second hand games, since Game Stop or anyone else will take your $60 game then refund you $20 on the high end and then resell it for $40 and sometimes that game comes back so they continue to resell it over and over, it may be a marginal resale but considering that amount of Pre-owned games being sold by Game Stop and the like I would guess that is pretty much just pure profit for them and they are doing pretty lucrative. My apologies.
Life goal own all retail X-Box games. My collection: X-Box: 535, X-Box 360: 1204, One: 178
Let us get to know you: I want to be on the spotlight 2.0 Join here to enter GTN's monthly Challenge: Challenge, What Challenge...
I know the Wii U can't play a cartridge, but I would love to own a physical game from an older console. It should be cheap based on logical facts about math because it's not a brand new game. Will someone please buy a physical copy of Earthbound in the box and send it my way? I haven't played it since I was young and would love to fight the final boss. I would also love to show off the box art, because cover art to awesome games is important to me. Thanks in advance to anyone that understands math and how games lose value.

I understand most games might not accrue interests. Games supposedly meant for children shouldn't have a chance. I highly doubt that Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise will raise in value. However, I would imagine most of you wish you had a pristine copy of Avatar for sell... or Earthbound in the box. Look them up:
http://tinyurl.com/Avataristoodamnhigh
http://tinyurl.com/EathboundFuhgeddaboudit

Yes those are real links. I used tinyurl.com and added custom alias' to the links in order for everyone to know which link is to where.

How can gamers doubt the collectors of video games? How come people don't doubt the comic industry? To be honest, that may have changed, the only new comics I own are the R.I.P.D. 1 thru 4. The first appearance of Batman in Detective 27 isn't cheap, the same definitely goes for Spider-man's. Why would gamers judge themselves on a such a low level? Just because we have been abused by Gamestop before, doesn't mean video games quickly drop in price. If I bought a brand new Xbox One game and sold it the next day it's price shouldn't drop to half of its amount. Once Hollywood comes around and starts hiring major directors to destroy games the massive flux of the same people who love Batman, Iron Man, Spider-man, The Avengers, The X Men, man, I could go on and on, I won't though... Ant-man, are you serious? I'm sure the critics will love him as well though. Mass Effect movies, if filmed by a great director, will blow up. Anyone who still owns the Mass Effect series, especially the limited edition versions, will be happy because the games will sell for a higher price.

Whatever you do don't walk into Gamestop singing Rape Me by Nirvana. Sometimes games aren't just for yourself. What happens if you're in a new relationship with a gamer? They're going to look at your gamerscore, if they see a game they've always wanted to play and you say, "yeah, I used to own that, but I sold it" I imagine the next words would be "Dafuq!? Then they will question your "logic" from that point forward. All joking aside, think about your friends, or your kids - if and when you have them, they would love to play the games that you own and have enjoyed.
I understand I don't know everything and I was aware that Nintendo had cut some of their support but not all of it. I'm not a Nintendo or PS guy so please excuse me if I was blissfully ignorant of their support functions. You even state they did it silently so how would I have known? Unless I was a PS or Nintendo gamer, or I guess could have searched it up, but considering this is an Xbox site I wan't going to put that much effort into it. I figured if it was wrong someone would probably come along and tell me otherwise, but then again I also don't know everything MS or Xbox but hey I try and I will say if I'm not 100% positive on things.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I've learned that it's futile (no association with futiles) to hate. Haters gonna hate. Slaters gonna slate.

http://tinyurl.com/DontHateSlatersPotatoes
I keep my discs, mostly because Mr pTart and I share games and he doesn't have gold currently, so sometimes its nice to have 2 copies of one game.

Join the leaderboard that is *actually* #1 on the site! All friends of mine are welcome and anyone who prefers poptarts over fish!
All joking aside, think about your friends, or your kids - if and when you have them, they would love to play the games that you own and have enjoyed.
Originally Posted by Infected Stray
They sure would, which is why I was a HUGE fan of the initial Xbox One presentation. Friends and Family sharing? HELL YES! SIGN ME UP!

But, I guess those collectors out there made so much noise about losing discs, that didn't happen. Now, I have no way to share...
I can't speak about other gamers, but my issue with the initial version of the Xbox One was the "always" online requirement. I, and many people, disagree with there being a requirement to connect to the internet once a day in order to play a game that you've paid for. There were plenty of arguments for and against this, so I won't go into all of it here; you can easily look up old threads about the topic around the web. I loved the idea of being able to share my stuff with a select few and hope that they find a way to implement it in the future. I was disappointed that they felt the feature had to be removed in order to make offline play acceptable.

I certainly keep my discs, but I also play digital games.

Xbox Community Ambassador
"There is no truth. Just differing opinions." - Simon R. Green Deathstalker Destiny
"People are stupid. " - Terry Goodkind Wizard's First Rule (Full quote)
I can't speak about other gamers, but my issue with the initial version of the Xbox One was the "always" online requirement. I, and many people, disagree with there being a requirement to connect to the internet once a day in order to play a game that you've paid for. There were plenty of arguments for and against this, so I won't go into all of it here; you can easily look up old threads about the topic around the web. I loved the idea of being able to share my stuff with a select few and hope that they find a way to implement it in the future. I was disappointed that they felt the feature had to be removed in order to make offline play acceptable.

I certainly keep my discs, but I also play digital games.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
I followed it, and even steam requires the online check to do friend and family sharing (which, you know, they introduced with the exact same features after MS pulled it from X1. Yet, no one cared about the online check there.)
I don't play steam, so I cannot comment on that. I would assume, however, that people playing PC games own a PC or laptop and are more likely to have an internet connection. For a while there, all I had was my TV and my gaming console for entertainment. No cable, no computer, no internet. It would have been a shame to not be able to play my games because I didn't have those things. I was out of work for a long time (as I'm sure applies to many people at some point both on and off of this particular site) and the only way I could afford to keep myself entertained was to donate plasma twice a week and to sell my old games to Game Stop. I work full time now and have all of those things that I didn't before. The only reason that I make sure to have my console connected to Xbox Live when I play is because I like the time stamp. But if my internet goes out for a few days (which has happened; somebody accidentally cut the outside line while digging), I would still like to be able to play my games.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy many of the features and functionality of my Xbox 360 and my Xbox One. I just don't believe that an active internet connection needs to be a requirement. But I know that others have different opinions and I accept that. (No, that is not a jab saying that you, or anybody else, is not accepting of other opinions; just thought I'd get that out there before somebody tries to make something of that statement).

Xbox Community Ambassador
"There is no truth. Just differing opinions." - Simon R. Green Deathstalker Destiny
"People are stupid. " - Terry Goodkind Wizard's First Rule (Full quote)
I don't play steam, so I cannot comment on that. I would assume, however, that people playing PC games own a PC or laptop and are more likely to have an internet connection. For a while there, all I had was my TV and my gaming console for entertainment. No cable, no computer, no internet. It would have been a shame to not be able to play my games because I didn't have those things. I was out of work for a long time (as I'm sure applies to many people at some point both on and off of this particular site) and the only way I could afford to keep myself entertained was to donate plasma twice a week and to sell my old games to Game Stop. I work full time now and have all of those things that I didn't before. The only reason that I make sure to have my console connected to Xbox Live when I play is because I like the time stamp. But if my internet goes out for a few days (which has happened; somebody accidentally cut the outside line while digging), I would still like to be able to play my games.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy many of the features and functionality of my Xbox 360 and my Xbox One. I just don't believe that an active internet connection needs to be a requirement. But I know that others have different opinions and I accept that. (No, that is not a jab saying that you, or anybody else, is not accepting of other opinions; just thought I'd get that out there before somebody tries to make something of that statement).
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
To be blunt, with regards to the start of your post, the person in that situation should not buy an Xbox One. That is not the financially responsible purchase, so, whatever restrictions apply to it should not be a consideration. That person should be looking at last generation consoles and games to maximize financial efficiency. So, that person should not influence the features of the X1, but, sadly, that person did, repeatedly.

Sign up for a new account. It's free and easy!

Sign up for an account

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account

Similar Threads