Should badges need to be maintained?

General Chat

Found 24 posts - Go to Last Post


Should badges need to be maintained?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 15 (33.33%) Yes. Any fluctuating badge should be maintained.

× 3 (6.67%) Yes, but only my completion %. It's not my fault they released DLC or a whole new game.

× 27 (60.00%) No. I earned it at one point and I'm going to keep it!

× 0 (0%) Other. Please explain.


  • Added 07-17-2014 08:20 AM
  • 45 votes
With the discussion going on about badges and the option for needing to maintain or "keep" ones that fluctuate, why not weigh in with a vote?
" I can't keep [it] up right now, as soon as I get enough to feed it, I have to play forever just to give it some water. Then it falls asleep." -smrnov
Granted this is probably all for nothing, but it would be nice if people would cast their feelings.
" I can't keep [it] up right now, as soon as I get enough to feed it, I have to play forever just to give it some water. Then it falls asleep." -smrnov
Your got to work to keep the badge, so; yes.
Just a thought, but maybe create a badge for achieving a streak and a badge for current streak.

Maybe call the badge for hitting the streak "Once upon a XXX days..." and the other "Currently streaking for XXX days"


Edit: Sorry for this post...I will try to look better for the correct section to post in.
Last edited 07-17-2014 at 03:03 PM by RadarBoy.
RadarBoy, hello. Good idea, but check the thread about "badge ideas" and you will see that they have been recommended previously. If you want to weigh in on that, your opinion matters. Take it easy and enjoy your day.
Video games are like life, difficult, frustrating, but most of all, they're fun and rewarding when you slow down and enjoy them.
Yeah no worries about repeating a suggestion. I like the idea of having an active to be maintained and a benchmark to prove what you've accomplished.

The question then becomes.... Do we really want to, essentially, double the number of badges? When you get upward of 1000+ to collect, it just becomes too much. It's why I stopped playing pokemans after platinum. Having to collect 13769 pokemans is absurd. Just give me my Gen 1 & 2 and leave it at that.
" I can't keep [it] up right now, as soon as I get enough to feed it, I have to play forever just to give it some water. Then it falls asleep." -smrnov
Last I played it was 681 pokemon and you know why it sucked? Because you couldn't bring the 350 you already caught in (easily). Skylanders has it exactly right. Everything you had is always worth something and can be used. And then they add another 40 each game. I'm okay with a FEW badges like the streaks, but I should have something that recognizes that I have at one time hit a 365 day streak would be nice.

Remember all the posts about "my streak ended and I scored yesterday!". Waste of time having staff maintain that crap, and it happens here on the consecutive days logged into the site. BUT the difference is, once I've earned the "visited the site 100 days in a row" it NEVER disappears. I earned that badge.
Earn it keep it. That's the one thing I hated about 360v I put in all the hard work in getting a Sci-fi badge or a Horror badge or fighter badge and then bam, it gets taken away because I didn't maintain it.. While I din't have this problem too much as I have 1100 plus games, those that do not have access to said games, it a bit unfair to them. Also If you earn it then it should be something you should be proud of.
Life goal own all retail X-Box games. My collection: X-Box: 535, X-Box 360: 1204, One: 178
Let us get to know you: I want to be on the spotlight 2.0 Join here to enter GTN's monthly Challenge: Challenge, What Challenge...
So if you don't feel the need to maintain something, like a collection, because more gets added to it, then can I be equally selective in what date range the games I played count toward? Like if I only want the games from 2006-2009 to count, and I only play those games, then I can have that badge circa what was made available in 2009?

If a game comes out and you 1k it, then DLC comes out and you don't play that, then you have not completed the game. You don't have all possible points/achievements, and therefore should not have the completion badge. It's a lie, you're lying to yourself and others.
" I can't keep [it] up right now, as soon as I get enough to feed it, I have to play forever just to give it some water. Then it falls asleep." -smrnov
May I direct everyone's attention to:

http://www.gamertagnation.com/badges/badge-146/

The language says "Maintain" - So, as a user signing up for the site, I would expect that to mean exactly that. MAINTAIN.
I think those could have just as easily said OBTAIN. Being the language Nazi I'm sure you are aware there is no time frame on that word maintain but it does qualify the minimum number of games. I read that sentence as "after having played a minimum of 50 games you maintained a 50% completion rate". You read it as, "after having played a minimum of 50 games you maintain a 50% completion rate."

Subtle, but neither of our opinions matter, it's was Eric implemented. Obviously we can voice ours, makes polls, but it all comes down to him or whomever he delegates the responsibility to.

Dacoto, your argument is just grasping. No site does that. If you wanted it to be for 2006-2009 then you should have joined the site in 2009.

It's insanely simply, and I can't just sit here and rattle off examples of not loosing your accomplishments.
  1. achievements, once earned never go away
  2. sports champions, forever the champs
  3. olympians - no one confiscates their medals next go around
  4. girl scouts - keep your fire starting badge honey, you dont have to prove every year you can still light a fire
  5. President or any elected official - Mayor for Life Marion Barry
  6. B in 2nd grade I have for penmanship - they let me keep even though i write like shit now
  7. purple heart - sorry sir, you're all better now, we are going too need that back

Badges mark our earned accomplishments and should not be taken away. No disrespect to anyone who dedicated their time and effort, but wake up and realize there is a reason 360voice died. Part of it 100% unarguably was because people didn't like maintaining badges. It takes the fun of earning them away because it lowers their desirability, thus lowering their value. You think making them harder to maintain makes them more valuable, and that's true to a point, but it was pushed to far making no one care and thus no value.
It comes down to not wanting to put in effort to keep whatever current. It's why TA added the option to not count DLC, because people are lazy.

Want to live a lie, then cool. Go right ahead.
" I can't keep [it] up right now, as soon as I get enough to feed it, I have to play forever just to give it some water. Then it falls asleep." -smrnov
07-22-2014 10:56 AM StaffPremium
I think those could have just as easily said OBTAIN. Being the language Nazi I'm sure you are aware there is no time frame on that word maintain but it does qualify the minimum number of games. I read that sentence as "after having played a minimum of 50 games you maintained a 50% completion rate". You read it as, "after having played a minimum of 50 games you maintain a 50% completion rate."

Subtle, but neither of our opinions matter, it's was Eric implemented. Obviously we can voice ours, makes polls, but it all comes down to him or whomever he delegates the responsibility to.

Dacoto, your argument is just grasping. No site does that. If you wanted it to be for 2006-2009 then you should have joined the site in 2009.

It's insanely simply, and I can't just sit here and rattle off examples of not loosing your accomplishments.
  1. achievements, once earned never go away
  2. sports champions, forever the champs
  3. olympians - no one confiscates their medals next go around
  4. girl scouts - keep your fire starting badge honey, you dont have to prove every year you can still light a fire
  5. President or any elected official - Mayor for Life Marion Barry
  6. B in 2nd grade I have for penmanship - they let me keep even though i write like shit now
  7. purple heart - sorry sir, you're all better now, we are going too need that back

Badges mark our earned accomplishments and should not be taken away. No disrespect to anyone who dedicated their time and effort, but wake up and realize there is a reason 360voice died. Part of it 100% unarguably was because people didn't like maintaining badges. It takes the fun of earning them away because it lowers their desirability, thus lowering their value. You think making them harder to maintain makes them more valuable, and that's true to a point, but it was pushed to far making no one care and thus no value.
Originally Posted by Kaens
There are as many examples of awards that are temporary. You're world champion, title holder, etc until somebody beats you. I feel like there is room for both kinds. The Genre badge was supposed to be a reflection on your playing behavior ongoing. They don't let you keep playing in a professional sport just cause you were good a couple years ago. Yes, there's a hall of fame for the exception players that maintained a high level of performance over a long period of time.

Just admit, whether you like it or not, there is room for both types... Does that mean it makes sense for most badges here, probably not. But I'm of the opinion, if you're going to be #1 on a leader board, you have to maintain that position.
there is a reason 360voice died.
Originally Posted by Kaens
The people that own it do not care about it. That is the reason, and the only reason. If they had cared, and had been willing to put forth effort, energy, and resources, I think that it would not have died.
Just admit, whether you like it or not, there is room for both types... Does that mean it makes sense for most badges here, probably not. But I'm of the opinion, if you're going to be #1 on a leader board, you have to maintain that position.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
I'm not saying there aren't places for the types of genre badges you guys like, I think it's the garbage can though. In 1962 Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a single basketball game. If you look at the leaderboard for most points in a game, he's #1 and probably will always be #1. He's been dead for 15 years, didn't have to 'maintain' shit. This site, has no genre badges, they've already been brought up in suggest a badge type thread many times, yet we still don't have them. This site, and the polls about the badges here, are about the badges HERE. I have always felt this way, but never once did you hear me complain about it on 360voice because that's how it was done there. No matter how many people from 360voice come here, this will always be Gamertag Nation.

The people that own it do not care about it. That is the reason, and the only reason. If they had cared, and had been willing to put forth effort, energy, and resources, I think that it would not have died.
Originally Posted by futiles
Depends on what your definition of died is. I would say the site died in 2008 when GamerDNA bought them out. It was a little site in 2006, Major Nelson talked about it two weeks after the site started, and it got a huge influx of members. Fishguy & I both joined on the exact same day, May 6th, 2006. They got the Old Spice promotion at the end of 2007, created challenges and were on top of the world. Then futiles joined in and it was downhill from there. Stick Out Tongueuzzled: (Happy coincidence for my storytelling purposes, I'm not suggesting it's futiles fault)

I don't need to have access to Comscore data or Google Analytics for 360voice.com to know it's dead. You know how I know? I was in a challenge, because Fshguy was literally the only reason I continue to visit that site, and I'm on my tablet refreshing my standings. As a matter of habit, after I refresh the scores I always go back to my own page. Well I noticed that I was going up the leaderboard of top 20 pages just from checking on my own page a few times. So I did a test, pulled my page 100 times, and I shot up to Top 10, then it was very easy to just work my way up the list. That site has very little traffic, probably not enough to justify the costs to the current owners. That doesn't mean it wasn't a great home with a tight knit community, just means it was smaller by the numbers. Which is what I love about here. It's more personal.
I would say the site died in 2008 when GamerDNA bought them out.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Correct, and GamerDNA never cared (Change, Fatty and Squid cared, but they no longer owned), then Crispy Gamer bought it and didn't care, then (honestly I forget the next guy), then LiveGamer and didn't care, and then it is what it is.
Correct, and GamerDNA never cared (Change, Fatty and Squid cared, but they no longer owned), then Crispy Gamer bought it and didn't care, then (honestly I forget the next guy), then LiveGamer and didn't care, and then it is what it is.
Originally Posted by futiles
That is why I wanted to be careful about ripping the site, it was the leadership that was lacking the passion, not the contributors and 'staff'.
07-22-2014 04:10 PM StaffPremium
Odd thing about 360voice, it averages around 900-1000 sessions a day, for the past month, there's been 12,000 unique users per Google Analytics... Oddly, people still come to the site regardless if it is live or dead...

But without people to reskin, actively develop and create new hooks for people to come in, in effect it is dead. I never felt like I could really ask for help since I could never guarantee that such and such owner might not just shut off their work on any given day.

At the end of the day, I think we're all frustrated that a site/community that we all enjoyed at one point in time is fading away.

The good news is we're here now...
For funsies I just pulled my page a few times (not sure exactly how many, but probably only 100-200), and I went from not even being on the list (because I stopped going to 360v when Fsh stopped his challenges) to now I'm 6th. I'm going to do it again and bet I go to #1. That's cheesy.

The good news is we're here now...
Originally Posted by Fshguy
And our badges don't expire here at GTN, YEAH! Party :cheers: Sorry, had to.

Sign up for a new account. It's free and easy!

Sign up for an account

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account

Similar Threads

Thread Title Forum Replies Last Post
Started by chaotikilla
General Chat 119 10-21-2016 10:33 AM
Started by Fshguy
Issues & Bug Reports 5 06-14-2014 08:24 PM
Started by roce96
Feature Requests 7 10-18-2013 04:45 PM
Started by ky pro 2008
General Chat 13 09-05-2013 01:35 AM
Started by chaotikilla
Issues & Bug Reports 4 04-03-2013 06:30 AM