I'm buying one of these today, I'd like some opinions (So, a poll...)

Tech & Electronics

Found 34 posts - Go to Last Post

Which TV would you get if you were futiles?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 35 (53.85%) LG 79" 79UF7700

× 30 (46.15%) Vizio 80" M80-C3

• Added 08-27-2015 01:30 PM
  • 65 votes
  • Votes are public
I am buying an 80" Class 4K TV today. I have narrowed it down to either the 79" LG 79UF7700 or the Vizio 80" M80-C3.

Both are about $4000, but, my out of pocket will be about $1000. I can get the Vizio for $400 additional off because a 10% coupon applies to it, and not the LG. Both TVs are 4K (obviously) and are 240Hz (which is what eliminated the Sony, Samsung, and Sharp, as they were all 120Hz or even 60Hz). The LG has 4 HDMI in and 1 Digital Optical out. The Vizio has 5 HDMI in and 1 Digital Optical out. I require 5 HDMI inputs, so, the LG, while being more expensive, would actually require an HDMI switch as well. I do think the LG is the slightly better television, and if I was paying full price (or even the same price for each), I would go with the LG. However, $433 plus the cost of the HDMI switch, plus the ugliness of having said switch really pushes me to the Vizio. Thoughts? (And poll)

Also, connected to this television will be a DirecTV STB connected inline through the Xbox One (HDMI 1), The PS4 (HDMI 2), The 360 (HDMI 3), The PS3 (HDMI 4), The Wii U (HDMI 5), and The Wii (Component). So, with backwards compatibility becoming a thing, the 360 could find itself removed once that is a thing, and all DLC is available, but, it works, so, I will probably just leave it in there. The Digital Optical output feeds into the Sonos Play: Bar which feeds/controls the wireless surround sound system in the den, so, everything connects to the TV, then the TV does a passive passthrough to the Sonos.

See both here:

LG 79" 79UF7700

Vizio 80" M80-C3

Which would you buy, if this were the scenario for you?
I'd go LG if I were you. My personal Vizio experiences have been lackluster.

But both are beautiful displays...
if this was my scenario from the above you posted, I would go with the vizio because it seems like it meet your needs. and you have coupons to save a little money.
I'd go LG if I were you. My personal Vizio experiences have been lackluster.

But both are beautiful displays...
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
I actually have 10+ years of Vizio experience, now. No issues on any set.
I have never had either, but going the cheaper route maybe the answer, I guess it really depends on your happiness of aesthetics of the TV. Is the HDMI switch really an issue or will it be hidden behind the TV and what if the problems would it be to use the switch? If the switch is automatic, some tv support that function or is this something that has to be done manually regardless and how often would you have to do it? Just some things to think about.
if this was my scenario from the above you posted, I would go with the vizio because it seems like it meet your needs. and you have coupons to save a little money.
Originally Posted by Preludecris
This would be my answer as well. A slightly bigger TV and that's $400 you can use towards games & movies. Ultimately I would want to see the screens in action before I would make a final decision, but on paper the Vizio.
This would be my answer as well. A slightly bigger TV and that's $400 you can use towards games & movies. Ultimately I would want to see the screens in action before I would make a final decision, but on paper the Vizio.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
To the untrained eye, I would say that 99% of the population would be unable to pick one out from the other. Even to the trained eye, I would expect 75-85% to have difficulty in discerning.

I will admit that I am leaning Vizio for both the HDMI port and the cost.
I have never owned one, but from what I have heard and read, Vizio and quality are not synonymous. I would go LG
I have never owned one, but from what I have heard and read, Vizio and quality are not synonymous. I would go LG
Originally Posted by LordChabelo13
Like I said before, my experience with Vizio is extensive, and positive. On the other hand, so is my LG experience. And my entire house's appliances are LG. I bought the washer, dryer, dish washer, microwave, free standing range, and refrigerator from Best Buy this month, all LG.
The Vizio 5HDMI meets your needs and having a switch (if you get the LG) can be okay if it's remote (digital) I have a manual one and if you forget to switch it to the device can get annoying but I guess that's the price when we have too many consoles.
LG 79" 79UF7700

Vizio 80" M80-C3

Which would you buy, if this were the scenario for you?
Originally Posted by futiles
So I just spent 15 mins looking these two over and holy crap I can see why you are paralyzed, they are so close. However, I would choose the Vizo and here is why..
  1. Vizio is actually 80 inches, not 78.6 (just saying)
  2. Vizio bezel is all black, I think the silver wrap on the LG makes it look cheap
  3. HDMI ports on Vizio are facing down (instead of sideway on the LG) making it easier to cluster wires and hide them.
  4. $400 cheaper
  5. I've used Vizio apps before, works fine (although I assume the LG would be fine too)

The Vizio does have MORE USB ports, but the LG has better ones. I'd probably go with more ports on this because other than the Xbox One requiring 3.0 for the HD, I never see a need for better USB ports.

Congrats on your purchase!
So I just spent 15 mins looking these two over and holy crap I can see why you are paralyzed, they are so close. However, I would choose the Vizo and here is why..
  1. Vizio is actually 80 inches, not 78.6 (just saying)
  2. Vizio bezel is all black, I think the silver wrap on the LG makes it look cheap
  3. HDMI ports on Vizio are facing down (instead of sideway on the LG) making it easier to cluster wires and hide them.
  4. $400 cheaper
  5. I've used Vizio apps before, works fine (although I assume the LG would be fine too)

The Vizio does have MORE USB ports, but the LG has better ones. I'd probably go with more ports on this because other than the Xbox One requiring 3.0 for the HD, I never see a need for better USB ports.

Congrats on your purchase!
Originally Posted by Kaens
Well, 3 HDMI down, 2 HDMI side on the Vizio, but, they are close enough, and it will be mounted on a full motion arm with cable management built in. Yes, the USB on a TV, I have only ever used for charging 3D glasses (not an issue with either of these) or doing firmware updates (will likely have everything in this room hard wired ethernet to a switch in the unit).

Oh, and thanks. I really feel like there is something I am missing, but, just haven't figured out, yet. I do wish there were more images of the LG. Only 1 of the HDMI on the Vizio is 4K@60Hz, all the others are 4K@30Hz (not an issue now at all, but, if this is a 10-15 year TV...). I need to find out how many, if any of the LG HDMIs are 4K@60Hz.
Like I said before, my experience with Vizio is extensive, and positive. On the other hand, so is my LG experience.
This explains the inquery much better. Go with what you really deep down know you want.
Thanks to everyone. Kaens was probably one of the two deciding factors. Also, looks like the spec file Best Buy and other sites were using was wrong, as the LG only had 3 HDMI, and none were specifically labeled 4K@60Hz (that I could see).

Also, I intentionally have bought everything from the same Best Buy, talking to one of the managers each time, and using whatever sales person she wanted me to use. So, I brought in the Nebraska Furniture Mart ad for the Vizio being $220 off. And even though the Best Buy policy is Price Match or Store Coupon (whichever is cheaper) and never both, she went ahead and combined them (and let me keep my coupon) for $598 off! So, $3401.99 for the Vizio with 5HDMI (1 4K@60Hz) vs $3999.98 for the LG with 3HDMI. I just could not spend an extra $647.34 for it.

So, I bought the Vizio! After $1060 in reward certificates, $885 in gift cards, and $1193 in rewards, out of pocket cost was $457.20.

I spent the extra $647 on the mount for it; a fully articulated mount with double arms and cable management for the power, ethernet, HDMIs, and component, with a little left over to go towards the SONOS Play: Bar.

Again, thanks for the input.
Nice job!!!!! Amazing job putting that together. I will consult you when I am getting ready for something like that.
Awesome deal, futiles. That deal is so good I wanna tell my sister-in-law (fancies herself an extreme couponer).
Awesome deal, futiles. That deal is so good I wanna tell my sister-in-law (fancies herself an extreme couponer).
Originally Posted by Kaens
It was all part of the plan. Combining every points deal BB offered along the way. (As I had cash for all of it)

So, Washer/Dryer was 3x points, +Elite Plus Points, +CC points, + E+ CC Points, +10% bonus first CC purchase...
Fridge was 5x points, +^^^^
etc...

When all the points cleared today, I had 53,000 points. (In 2 weeks I will have another 7000-10000 points, so, that will be the SONOS Sub)
So, I bought the Vizio! After $1060 in reward certificates, $885 in gift cards, and $1193 in rewards, out of pocket cost was $457.20.

I spent the extra $647 on the mount for it; a fully articulated mount with double arms and cable management for the power, ethernet, HDMIs, and component, with a little left over to go towards the SONOS Play: Bar.

Again, thanks for the input.
Congrats on the purchase! Lets hope the wall doesn't fall over once you have that mounted :P
Congrats on the purchase! Lets hope the wall doesn't fall over once you have that mounted :P
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
4 3" Lag bolts into 2 studs. The house will come down before the TV or mount does.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account