Member of the Month December 2016 (DomeJohnny)

Community Interviews

Found 9 posts - Go to Last Post

Picture this, you wait silently refreshing your page all day, but GASP!! No new Member of the month!!!! Well settle down and I’ll help you out there. So, gather round the fire get your hot chocolate and you’ll get an exclusive sneak peak under the dome…As old Jack might announce him…HEEEEEERRRES JOHNNY!!!!

Name:
My name is John, I’m 41 years old. Live with my girlfriend and we have 3 cats.

Where do you live?:
I currently live in Sacramento, California. I’ve been here since late 2011. I’m originally from Long Island, New York where I lived the majority of my life. I also lived in Las Vegas for 5 years.

What do you do for a living?
I was a college IT Manager before a back injury forced me out of work in 2009. I am currently disabled, although I hope that one day I will be able to find some kind of fix that will allow me to go back to work.

Tell me about your Gamertag?
My Gamertag is DomeJohnny. Back in the early 90’s, I worked for a company called The Motley Fool. They are primarily a financial company, but back in the 90’s, they had a sports subdivision on AOL. The name of it was The Fool Dome. It was sports trivia, sports chat, contests, etc. I was the coordinator that scheduled all of the games, chats and made up the schedules for the hosts. Everyone that hosted or worked there, needed a screen name that included “Dome” so I was DomeJohnny. I know, not very exciting.

When did you start playing?
I had Atari as a kid, then progressed to Colecovison, Commodore 128, NES, etc. I also spent a lot of time in the arcades when I was younger and my favorites were Dragon’s Lair, Punch-Out & Gauntlet.

What's your play style? Ex: booster? Completionist?How often and long do you play?
Years ago, I was a completionist, but after I hurt my back, I barely touched a controller for several years. These days I find that I focus more on games that I want to play. This is also why you’ll see that I’m also several years behind on some of the very popular games that everyone has played. I’ll get to them eventually. I’m not much of a multiplayer kind of gamer, so a nice single player campaign is right up my alley.

What is your current gaming set up like?
I have a 50” Sony TV in my living room with Xbox One and XBox 360. I also have a Windows 8 desktop, Windows 10 laptop and a Windows Phone. I haven’t really played very much in the ways of the Windows titles though.

Tell me a good gaming story or experience? ex: Epic win/fail, marathon, accomplishment, a time you visited a game convention or met someone...or anything.
Fail: years back on XBox 360, I was going to 5-Day/7-Day Survivor achievements…the 5-Day takes approximately 10 straight hours of game time with no ability to save, only the ability to pause. I was about 7.5-8 hours in and we lost the electricity. It’s probably the angriest I have ever gotten at something gaming related. I was so annoyed, I never played Dead Rising again despite being a big fan.
On a more positive note, I remember beating Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson’s: Punch-Out! on NES before anyone else I grew up with. I was really excited, so I called up some friends immediately after doing it and they didn’t believe me. Everyone thought I was lying, so we all met up at one kid’s house up the block. I was able to beat Tyson again in front of everyone. At the time it was a big deal, but we were only like 11-12 years old.

Do you have a special shout out to anyone in particular in the gaming community?
I would say that two of the nicest people I’ve come across in my gaming days are Patrick (Streak Leader) and Ralph (Zombie in PJs).

What's your favorite game genre?
Sandbox, Sports, Action-Adventure

What’s your favorite game on 360?ONE?Of all time (any system)
Favorite game on the 360 is either Bioshock or Fallout 3 (but to be fair, I have yet to play stuff like Mass Effect, Assassin’s Creed, Elder Scrolls, Gears of War, etc.) I haven’t played a lot of games on the ONE yet, but so far I’d say Fallout 4 . Favorite game of all time on any system would be Legend of Zelda on NES, with Final Fantasy VII as a close 2nd. I would also say that Looping (Colecovision) holds a place in my heart as it’s the only video game I ever saw my father play.

What is your worst game and Why?
I think the worst game I ever played was Bionicle Heroes on 360. The camera angles were so horrendous that I had to shut if off after 10 minutes or so because it made me physically ill.

If you were a Video Game or game character who and why?
Probably Little Mac from Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out, simply because I’ve felt like an underdog for the majority of my life.

Are you looking forward to any new releases?
Since I rarely play anything as a new release, there aren’t many, but I am looking forward to South Park: Fractured But Whole.

What else do you do besides gaming?
I love photography, but it’s not the easiest hobby with a bad back. I still try to do what I can with it when I feel good enough to get out for a little while. I actually won 2nd Place last year at one of the County Fair photography contests. I’ve messed around a bunch with genealogy and have traced the majority of my family back to the early 1800’s.

Do you collect or not so much?
I have several hundred 360 games, as I planned to play them all at one point. I do still have NES, Sega Genesis, PS2 & Dreamcast boxed up somewhere. I don’t think I’m a collector as much as I am just too lazy to get rid of anything. I also collect various Funko Pop figures from movies & television.

What's your favorite feature on GTN?
I enjoy the badges, but I like the community the best. It’s a pretty laid back bunch and is just more my style than a lot of those other sites.

What would you tell people about GTN if you were trying to get them to join?
That there isn’t anywhere near as much drama that exists on other sites. It’s fairly laid back and a friendly community that continually adds more and more features as members suggest them.

Is there anything you would like added to the site?
A good, quick way to see the breakdown of a game’s single player vs. multiplayer achievements/gamer score.

GTN on Facebook
Woo congrats on MoTM. I found the meaning behind your tag good story since I always read it Do Me Johnny. Bionicle Heroes is bad I really dread going back to try to complete that mess.
Nice read, welcome to the MotM club! We're pretty cool.
I also like the story behind the name. Congrats on being MotM!
Name:
My name is John, I’m 41 years old. Live with my girlfriend and we have 3 cats.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I like cats, don't care for cleaning up after them so no pets for me.

Tell me about your Gamertag?
My Gamertag is DomeJohnny. Back in the early 90’s, I worked for a company called The Motley Fool. They are primarily a financial company, but back in the 90’s, they had a sports subdivision on AOL. The name of it was The Fool Dome. It was sports trivia, sports chat, contests, etc. I was the coordinator that scheduled all of the games, chats and made up the schedules for the hosts. Everyone that hosted or worked there, needed a screen name that included “Dome” so I was DomeJohnny. I know, not very exciting.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I still work at Aol (20 years now) and it wasn't until pretty recently that we ended our 'relationship' with Motley Fool. Good times. Anyhow, congrats on MotM!
I like cats
Originally Posted by Kaens
Interesting, I like cat. Notice the lack of plurality. One cat, at a time.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account