The Vive Standalone is based off the Daydream from google. Can't remember where I saw it but I think they were looking at basically building a cell phone inside the helmet. If that's the case, the quality is what I would be wondering about. If it can't produce high quality then it might not be the way to go as it will be like using a phone, just without a physical phone you put into the device.
Originally Posted by ZeroDesolation
That is my thought on it, pretty sure it won't be exactly what we are looking for. The plus side to the Microsoft HMDs is that they will be mixed reality, instead of straight VR or AR.
DAMNIT!!!! PSVR and SteamVR: Hey look futiles, we have Star Trek Bridge Crew for VR, right now, today, you can totally have it. Also, we have Skyrim and Fallout coming really soon...
DAMNIT!!!! PSVR and SteamVR: Hey look futiles, we have Star Trek Bridge Crew for VR, right now, today, you can totally have it. Also, we have Skyrim and Fallout coming really soon...
Originally Posted by futiles
So, this is what temptation to the Dark Side looks like?
So, this is what temptation to the Dark Side looks like?
Originally Posted by Fshguy
I talked myself out of it, for now. I still think I would rather just get a Vive (which does Fallout, and Bridge Crew, and will do Skyrim next year), so, I would just wait, and do $800 on that.
I talked myself out of it, for now. I still think I would rather just get a Vive (which does Fallout, and Bridge Crew, and will do Skyrim next year), so, I would just wait, and do $800 on that.
Would be good to see a new iteration of existing hardware on these or more must play games...
How can you say that the only two games you want are those top two and then put in the strong maybe category Crackdown 3 with a tag line like that....lol... If you've been waiting that long I'd think it would score a little bit higher on your want list.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Maybe been waiting was the wrong choice of words. It just has been know that this game was coming for a long time. I loved the first, own the second but never got around to playing it.
Maybe been waiting was the wrong choice of words. It just has been know that this game was coming for a long time. I loved the first, own the second but never got around to playing it.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Well it sounds like you and I have a common interest then and maybe we could get that online co-op done for 2, because I recently started it but have not yet got to that part.
I wasn't exactly excited this E3. Consoles are pushing for 4K which isn't mainstream yet. Consoles right now struggle with games at 1080 running at 30fps (maybe the PS4 pro and the slightly newer 1 are different) so trying to tempt people with 4K isn't the right move in my opinion. Also there was a lot of buzz around Battlegrounds coming to the new Xbox which is a PC game that's not even complete yet.

Anthem could be a good game, along with another game that was about a prison break. Only bad part is that it has to be co-op from what I've seen so you'd need a good partner. God of War for PS4 is on the buy list but I can't remember if that was at this E3. I honestly didn't keep up with it that much.
Also there was a lot of buzz around Battlegrounds coming to the new Xbox which is a PC game that's not even complete yet.
Originally Posted by Blank Planet
That's pretty standard now, though, isn't it? Subnautica, ARK, PUBG, No Man's Sky SHOULD have released that way, a lot of these newer "MMO-lite" games are following that formula, too.

With Subnautica, ARK, and soon PUBG all also on the X1...
I meant to elaborate on the PUBG bit. According to the H1Z1 Reddit some time ago, a user commented that Player Unknown is often involved with projects that he then leaves before completing. Day Z, H1Z:1 KOTK and now PUBG. The other games you mentioned, I've never played but are they still in the Early Access state? Honestly it's one of the worst parts of PC gaming right now, and it's showing up in consoles too judging by a recent video from Jim Sterling. I play H1, but £15 for an unfinished game is at least reasonable, and with the release of PUBG it's come a long way.
I meant to elaborate on the PUBG bit. According to the H1Z1 Reddit some time ago, a user commented that Player Unknown is often involved with projects that he then leaves before completing. Day Z, H1Z:1 KOTK and now PUBG. The other games you mentioned, I've never played but are they still in the Early Access state? Honestly it's one of the worst parts of PC gaming right now, and it's showing up in consoles too judging by a recent video from Jim Sterling. I play H1, but £15 for an unfinished game is at least reasonable, and with the release of PUBG it's come a long way.
Yeah, Subnautica and ARK are both pre-release/early release/whatever term we use.

Those are both in the survival genre, though, and I have seen others in that genre do it too.
Seems to me that XBOX X is for the high end players, ones that might be on the edge of console vs PC. Frankly it seems like PC games get the short shaft on AAA releases where the PC version usually doesn't get the same release. But now we can get the textures that PC people have enjoyed. Full market yeah, most people don't have 4k TV, much less ready for the content. So maybe we really get light 4k, but full on 60 fps 1080p which suites me just fine.

"A Way Out" looked fantastic, looking forward too it.. I will be super pumped if Anthem makes it in the Spring.

Sony seems to preview games 2-3 years out for E3. I really want to play that Spider-man game!
I don't think PlayUnkown is going anywhere in regards to Battlegrounds. It's his baby, his name is in the game title. For most of the other projects he was involved in he was a hired gun that was helping develop other company's games. His game may be one of the better offerings coming out of this years E3.
I hope it sticks as the game has potential, it's just not my play-style. In the small BR genre H1 is my preferred game to not only play, but also watch. But since PUBG came out, both games have been pushing more updates and hopefully new titles will come out. This year, all I've enjoyed is H1, Resident Evil 7 and GR: Wildlands with a bit of BF1 in between.
Seems to me that XBOX X is for the high end players
That explains why it's a must have for me!
That explains why it's a must have for me!
Originally Posted by Kaens
I want it but I'm going to have to wait until the price comes down some as I'll have to upgrade my TV to go along with it.

Is it crazy to say I want to see if Minecraft is going to actually look better in 4K?
I want it but I'm going to have to wait until the price comes down some as I'll have to upgrade my TV to go along with it.

Is it crazy to say I want to see if Minecraft is going to actually look better in 4K?
Originally Posted by ZeroDesolation
Well supposedly with the new "Super Duper" texture pack you won't need a 4k tv.. but look at the trends, wasn't too long ago when people were just getting into the flat screen tv and now look..all the old tube tv's are pretty much antiques now.. so you're right the price will come down and everyone will have 4k tv's... its just progress..
Well supposedly with the new "Super Duper" texture pack you won't need a 4k tv.. but look at the trends, wasn't too long ago when people were just getting into the flat screen tv and now look..all the old tube tv's are pretty much antiques now.. so you're right the price will come down and everyone will have 4k tv's... its just progress..
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
You can get a 4K TV for $300.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/westingh...?skuId=5247402

Is it the greatest TV ever? Nope, but, it is legitimately a 4K TV for $300, and that is all it takes to get to the mass market. Adoption rate of each new tech step has been significantly quicker than the previous.
You can get a 4K TV for $300.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/westingh...?skuId=5247402

Is it the greatest TV ever? Nope, but, it is legitimately a 4K TV for $300, and that is all it takes to get to the mass market. Adoption rate of each new tech step has been significantly quicker than the previous.
What's interesting is a 4K tv is really just 4 1080p screens put together(that's why it's harder to find small 4k TVs). I tend to play my xbox from monitor distance, so I'm going to have to pay a little more.

I don't think 4k TVs are stupid, but here's some interesting education...
https://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-...-still-stupid/
Ah, now this is an interesting question. It's clear many seem to think TV manufacturers are some sort of altruistic entities that only do new things if there's a benefit to the consumer. How adorable, but no. Ultra HD isn't the "new technology" it appears. Modern TVs are made from huge sheets of "motherglass." From this big piece, companies slice up smaller pieces to make televisions. It's easier (read: cheaper) to make a big piece and cut it into smaller TVs.

Originally this was in case there was a problem with part of the glass, the rest could still be sold as TVs. When you read about "yields" as part of TV manufacturing, this is largely what they're talking about.

But manufacturing has gotten really good, so most of these pieces of motherglass are fully used. Instead of slicing up one piece of motherglass into four 42-inch 1080p LCDs, what if you just kept the whole thing as one piece? What would you have? You'd have an 84-inch TV. Use the exact same (or similar) drive elements/electronics and all the various bits, and you've got a 3,840x2,160-pixel, 84-inch UHD TV
What's interesting is a 4K tv is really just 4 1080p screens put together(that's why it's harder to find small 4k TVs). I tend to play my xbox from monitor distance, so I'm going to have to pay a little more.

I don't think 4k TVs are stupid, but here's some interesting education...
https://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-...-still-stupid/
Saying it's really just 4 HDTVs put together is turning a monitor into only one metric - resolution. That said..

What you should care about (besides higher resolution = smoother picture) is what colors can be displayed. How do the brights and darks look, the depths of the gradient shades.

The colors in this picture are what the human eye can see. You want as much of that inside the triangle as possible for things to look lifelike. 4K is vastly superior, and I don't want to hear any excuses about content because we are all gamers here, not sitting at home all day and wondering when they're going to upgrade The Chew to start broadcasting in 4k.

If you can't afford one, that's a good reason. Doesn't mean you shouldn't still want one.
Last edited 08-04-2017 at 07:48 PM by Kaens.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account