Anything MMA

Sports

Found 38 posts - Go to Last Post

Didn't see a thread for the MMA enthusiast out there... so here it is! Let's discuss anything MMA related form favorite fighters to favorite fights, match ups, up coming events and just whatever!

My favorite fighter of all time.. Pat Miletich bar none the best and might I add the first UFC Welterweight Champion.. He was also one hell of a nice guy.

I really do miss seeing him fight..

One of my fantasy Matches.. I'd love to Bruce Lee and Jet Li fight it out when they were in their prime... but that's very fantasy..lol..

What do you think about the Girl fights in the UFC? Personally I'm glad they are breaking boundaries and taking the chance (at least) to put women in sports.
Been a huge MMA fan since TUF first started (MMA wasn't really aired before then here).

My favorite fighter of all time has to be Lyoto Machida. Considering I used to train 5 times a week in Wado-Ryu Karate I find it fascinating that he can use that as his base and use it so effectively against more offensive styles. Granted he has had a few boring fights but that is mainly because people cannot figure him out. He's been pretty unlucky in some fights but the weaknesses in his style were going to be found out eventually.

Close second is Jon Jones. I am a HUGE fan of any fighter that can go undefeated. I know he has a defeat on his record but that was a BS call by the ref (referring to the Matt Hamil fight). I really cannot see anyone dethroning him anytime soon.

I have found it difficult to stay engaged with MMA recently, mainly because of how much it has grown and specifically the huge amounts of events the UFC hold, plus with so many elite level fighters on the same skill level, there are very few that are able to surpass that level and actually finish fights. That isn't necessarily a criticism of MMA though.

Lastly, I hated the idea of Woman's MMA...until I saw Ronda Rousey! Wow can that woman grapple. She could probably beat the majority of male fighters around her weight. Crazy.

TL;DR - I like MMA.
Machida is defiantly a great fighter, but then again you sorta have to be just to be in the UFC let alone hold a championship at anytime. Sadly I hear what your saying about the shear volume of MMA events out.. But I try to keep somewhat up.. I saw Josh Bonnet made it back to the UFC...he had one of the broodiest fights I'd ever seen with Semmy Shilt back in the day.. I need to find out how the fight went with Frank Mir last week. He's kinda ahime town hero here...Mir that is I just like the guy tough and nerves of steel! I met him once he's just as nice as he seems.
Anyone been watching the new Ultimate Fighter show with the Women in it? Pretty damn interesting and fun to watch.. It kinda makes me wonder if some of the stuff between the coaches is real or played up? Rousy seems to be too hot under the collar sometimes.

It also seems to be a little cheesy, here are supposedly the next big things in MMA and someof them are acting like their in High School....meh... This weeks looking good though can't wait to see this next fight!
Anyone else catch UFC 169!! Simply spectacular! Won't ruin it just yet, but really it was one of the best I've seen in quite some time. Only one fight went the distance and it was one of the bloodiest I've seen, so it wasn't that bad (it was a prelim shown after the two main event to boot!)

I was shocked and slightly disappointed and then completely shocked again!!
I'm truly disappointed by the result of the main event.
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
Understand how you feel, that's gonna have a very long effect regardless of what happens, but man have never seen anything so crazy! Although if your talking about the winner, I'm particularly glad on who won that but not who won with the females. So 50/50.
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
I understand how you feel, that finish will forever or at least for a very long time be shrouded in controversy. Although Silva was not looking so good in that first round. I've never seen anything that crazy live!! Well, almost.. Not in MMA anyway.. For me the person who won was the person I wanted to win, but the females...different story. I was not happy with the winner, again it was a great fight though. I don't think it will happen for quite sometime I'm hoping for a Rousy v Tate 3.
How do you feel about the cross overs (either way) with Wrestling? Like Shamrock or Lesnar... Lesnar was at least a proven Greco-Roman style, having won multiple gold medals in the Olympics. Shamrock, I just never did like that guy.
How do you feel about the cross overs (either way) with Wrestling? Like Shamrock or Lesnar... Lesnar was at least a proven Greco-Roman style, having won multiple gold medals in the Olympics. Shamrock, I just never did like that guy.
Originally Posted by palmettobling
If they're legit I don't mind. I personally would love to see some Wrestlers try some real fighting, though they won't they get paid way to much by the WWE. Lesnar proved he had the chop when he came over to the UFC and won the title, but then he also proved how spoiled/afraid he was when he left after he lost it..

Shamrock was legit before he left to WWE, unfortunately he just didn't know when to quit, like many other fghters.
Sorry don't know why but this double posted...
True, I guess Shamrock did have his day, but time after time of challenging Tito Ortiz and getting knocked out and complaining about the ruling each time just grated me.

And with Lesnar, his exit after his loss is more of what I'm talking about. He is a big, imposing, and talented dude, but the way he left; just seems that he doesn't want a job where he's not acting a role. I was glad to see him loose.
True, I guess Shamrock did have his day, but time after time of challenging Tito Ortiz and getting knocked out and complaining about the ruling each time just grated me.

And with Lesnar, his exit after his loss is more of what I'm talking about. He is a big, imposing, and talented dude, but the way he left; just seems that he doesn't want a job where he's not acting a role. I was glad to see him loose.
Originally Posted by palmettobling
Shamrock is a classic example of a fighter who fights with emotion, he let Tito get to him psychologically and 9 times out of 10 that will get you the big 0 in the win column. Lesnar is just a drama queen, he has to be in the spot light and be number one or its nothing, follow his career, couldn't make himself in the spotlight it n the NFL so he went WWE and was a good protagonist as a champ, but he lost his belt and didn't want to pay his dues so he cried and said he wanted to show people he was legit...enter The UFC, again a lot of talent, but he was unrefined and the first time he got really schooled he left with his tail between his legs back to WWE and tried to say he was legit and deserved more, but where is he now??? (crickets cherping) exactly... He needs to find something and stick with it. I think he could do well in WWE, but all that time there made his body weak to real MMA type fighting and I think he realized that.
My favorite UFC fighter is Cain Velasquez he's my city.
Very disappointed in both Johny hendricks - UFC and Robbie Lawler fight more with Hendricks and no I'm not jumping on the Lawler fan train, I've been a fan of his for quite sometime and this fight I was surprised by the outcome but very glad at the same time.. It's hard to watch fight with two athletes you really like but Hendricks performance just sucked.. both men could have pushed that fight better, they were both afraid of each others abilities and that made them too cautious, I think.. I understand their caution but I watched the same round almost 5 times.. I mean the exact same round until the last minute of that fight.. Congrats to Robbie Lawler the new welterweight Champion! He absolutely deserved this!

I was hoping Petis would loose, not that I don't like him, he seems to be a little too cocky, but I guess you can be with his ability, that and I have liked Melendez from when he was fighting Strikeforce

Oh and other weird news.. WWE ..um former WWE Superstar CM PUNK has signed with the UFC and says this is his new career...ok..
I was hoping Petis would loose, not that I don't like him, he seems to be a little too cocky, but I guess you can be with his ability, that and I have liked Melendez from when he was fighting Strikeforce.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I was rooting for Melendez too...
Are you ready?
UFC 182: Jones vs Cormier
Tonight!!! Personally I hope Jones get's his a$$ handed to him.. I really like the guy until that satellite news feed blunder. Just goes to show his true colors. I have seen Cormier and even though he impressed me he looks a little heavy, but you know him coming down in weight may be problem for him.. I hope not I hope he excels now at this weight class.
I think MMA stands for Mega Man Academy, right? If so I should sign up because I'm really bad at Mega Man!
UFC 182: Well it was pretty much snooze fest until the actual headliner

Jones vs Cormier

Cormier took it too Jones but seemed to gas out around round three, I was a bit disappointed they went the distance and Jones retained. DC could have easily won that fight if he would h ave pressed it.. It was so upsetting especially with all the hype that led up to it. Jones pretty much cemented my opinion of him when at the end of the last round he held his arms up in a victory pose just before the round ended and Cormier showing good sportsmanship didn't do anything because he knew it was over but Jones sucker punched him...classless of course Cormier threw back just a s the horn sounded to end the fight.. but too little too late.

I would have though DC being an olympic caliber athlete and having the UFC heavyweight champion as a training partner would have been more ready for this fight. To me it just seemed he wasn't even really trying like he was depressed and didn't really want to be there.
UFC 182: Well it was pretty much snooze fest until the actual headliner

Jones vs Cormier

Cormier took it too Jones but seemed to gas out around round three, I was a bit disappointed they went the distance and Jones retained. DC could have easily won that fight if he would h ave pressed it.. It was so upsetting especially with all the hype that led up to it. Jones pretty much cemented my opinion of him when at the end of the last round he held his arms up in a victory pose just before the round ended and Cormier showing good sportsmanship didn't do anything because he knew it was over but Jones sucker punched him...classless of course Cormier threw back just a s the horn sounded to end the fight.. but too little too late.

I would have though DC being an olympic caliber athlete and having the UFC heavyweight champion as a training partner would have been more ready for this fight. To me it just seemed he wasn't even really trying like he was depressed and didn't really want to be there.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I disagree with nearly everything you said. The Cerrone fight was good, he shut the young punks mouth up. And Jones is awesome, don't forget he's just a 27 year old same as Jury was. And who cares about the 'live' feed where they are jawing at each other? Jones is a young kid and he's got Cormier talking shit the entire time.

Jones looked very tentative and nervous in that fight last night. And the ONLY round Cormier got was the 2nd (by not just my account, all three judges scored it the same as me). I hate to break this to you, but that was the Cormier has. He's a great wrestler with decent hands. He pushed the fight all five rounds, never let Jones get starts and they just clinched the entire time.

Jones didn't "sucker" punch anyone, the bell hadn't gone off. Watch it over, Jones, like any good champ, was always aware of the bell. Like when he tried the flying triangle at the end of the 3rd maybe or he tricked him into letting go at the end.

I will always like Jones, maybe you forgot about this....

Jones is a good guy, he just acts his age sometimes like with Cormier and his Vine videos where he's singing.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account