Found 19 posts - Go to Last Post

So I'm hearing from DAY ONE owners that the disc drive has been failing. I wonder if this is just in the case of the hardcore gamers playing 8 hours a say or is this doing for the casual gamers of 2-4 hours a day? anyone have any knowledge on this? Has anyone herd of any other failures? (Other than achievements not unlocking)
So I'm hearing from DAY ONE owners that the disc drive has been failing. I wonder if this is just in the case of the hardcore gamers playing 8 hours a say or is this doing for the casual gamers of 2-4 hours a day? anyone have any knowledge on this? Has anyone herd of any other failures? (Other than achievements not unlocking)
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Well, I have a Day One edition and the disc drive hasn't failed. A friend of mine bought two of them, one locally and the other one was shipped to him. The one that was bought locally didn't have a messed up drive either but the one that was shipped did have faulty drive. He didn't know that until his friend bought it from him and tried to play a game.
I am enrolled in the preview program thing, and the only problem I ever had was when I ejected the disc, it wouyld get pulled back in immediately, but that issue was fixed a fw months ago. I do have a day one console, no issues
I had an old coworker of mine's disc drive make funny noises and not read the disc, but they replaced it for him. Sent him a new one, he sent the old one back. That's about the only issue I've heard about it.
Yeah, it's more about faulty drives right from the get go than them failing in most cases. The games are installed to the console automatically now, so there's not much of a strain put on them unless you're watching a lot of dvds or something else that runs the drive.
Yeah, it's more about faulty drives right from the get go than them failing in most cases. The games are installed to the console automatically now, so there's not much of a strain put on them unless you're watching a lot of dvds or something else that runs the drive.
Originally Posted by Buckswana
This is 100% correct. The hardcore gamer and the casual gamer put almost the same strain on the drive. Spin the disc long enough to install, then just enough to validate it is in the drive. Or, download the game from the digital marketplace, and never need a disc.
I use the disc tray a LOT because downloading a game over here in Germany would take me years due to the internet speeds. That is an exaggeration of course, but it would take a long time. My disc tray works quite well and I have a day one edition. I was reading a lot of this when the system first shipped as well. I thought it was all over and done with. I guess not.
I use the disc tray a LOT because downloading a game over here in Germany would take me years due to the internet speeds. That is an exaggeration of course, but it would take a long time. My disc tray works quite well and I have a day one edition. I was reading a lot of this when the system first shipped as well. I thought it was all over and done with. I guess not.
Originally Posted by Zombie In PJs
Even if you're not downloading and using the disc, it should install the game from disc when you put it in the first time, then only verify it's there and run from the console after that. If you're swapping games a lot, then I guess it'll put a bit of strain on the loading/ejecting aspect of it, but that should be about it.
Originally Posted by Zombie In PJs
Like Buck said, you are only using the disc to install and then verify, after that, it stops the drive. So, you and everyone else in Germany are using it about the same.
what are discs?
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
Exactly! Well I do have the one from Skylanders but that's only because they keep making me buy a new portal every single time.
Well that's more info then I've herd so thanks for that, sorry for my disc misspelling, hell I only have an Associate degree and a auto correct on my computer..lol.and as always thank you futiles for catching it..lol..
what are discs?
ooh, I think I got it, are they those round, shiny things last gen systems used to store computer code on so you could play games?
Well that's more info then I've herd so thanks for that, sorry for my disc misspelling, hell I only have an Associate degree and a auto correct on my computer..lol.and as always thank you futiles for catching it..lol..
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I think you are again associating someone else with me (that's twice). I did not point out any misspelling. Hotdog what a disc was, but in the sarcastic "I buy all my X1 games digitally, so this machine could have shipped with a 5.25" floppy drive and I would not have known a difference" way.

And disc means a circular, somewhat flat object (which is why CD/DVD media are discs, and the internal parts of hard drives were similar, so they are discs). Disk is what we would call the media that went into a floppy drive. Looks like you used the right one, unless you now have stealth edit, and changed your initial post without an edit tag.
ooh, I think I got it, are they those round, shiny things last gen systems used to store computer code on so you could play games?
I thought they were square shaped and were plastic and usually came in an array of colors. It also had a cool metal thingy you could slide back and forth to uncover its interior.
I think you are again associating someone else with me (that's twice). I did not point out any misspelling. Hotdog what a disc was, but in the sarcastic "I buy all my X1 games digitally, so this machine could have shipped with a 5.25" floppy drive and I would not have known a difference" way.

And disc means a circular, somewhat flat object (which is why CD/DVD media are discs, and the internal parts of hard drives were similar, so they are discs). Disk is what we would call the media that went into a floppy drive. Looks like you used the right one, unless you now have stealth edit, and changed your initial post without an edit tag.
Originally Posted by futiles
You know I have to stop replying when I'm half a asleep and trying to keep my streak... Again I profusely apologize...I think we just need to have a go at it and when you knock me out I'll get it.. lol.. So Fight night Round 4? or do you fancy something a little more outrageous?

Originally Posted by futiles
3.25", like Ptart suggests. That's why I pad all my evil plan documents to 1.45MB still.
3.25", like Ptart suggests. That's why I pad all my evil plan documents to 1.45MB still.
Your disc was corrupted...
What the hell is a 3.25" disc?

I know what floppy disks are, and they were 8", 5.25", and 3.5".

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account