Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 (spoiler warning)

Entertainment

Found 18 posts - Go to Last Post

Did you (or will you) see it?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 10 (29.41%) Yes and I loved it!

× 3 (8.82%) Yes and it was okay.

× 0 (0%) Yes but I didn't like it.

× 14 (41.18%) Not yet but I will.

× 2 (5.88%) No, but I'll rent it later.

× 3 (8.82%) I've no intention of watching this.

× 2 (5.88%) What's Guardians of the Galaxy?

• Added 05-06-2017 07:51 PM
  • 34 votes
So, have you seen it yet? What did you think?

I will discuss specific details of the movie. You have been warned, twice. ;-)

My girlfriend and I were laughing throughout the entire movie. I love how they make these movies (Marvel in general, but Guardians in particular) cover a wide variety of styles and do such am amazing job of it!

That opening sequence was just perfect. The Guardians are fighting an epic battle against an interdimensional beast; but that's all just background to Baby Groot dancing around and fighting space rats!

I'm particularly amused at how they trolled a group of internet theorists. For those that don't know already, there is a theory out there that Stan Lee is actually one of the Watchers which is why he cameos in all of the Marvel movies. At one point during the movie we see Stanley recounting some adventures to the Watchers. Confirmation! Clearly Stan the Man is one of the Watchers! But, no! In the final post credit scene we see the Watchers leaving Stan and him trying to figure out how he's going to get home. So Stanley is not one of the Watchers and Marvel Studios, or perhaps just the crew of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, have just trolled all of those internet theorists! Too freakin funny!!
The opening scene was really good with Groot. Wasn't expecting that for a fight scene. I thought it interesting how he couldn't take down that rat during that scene but towards the end of the movie he grabbed a guy and just threw him off the ledge with ease.

I don't know why but I never caught on that the 2 sisters father was Thanos. I was told it was referenced in the first movie but I just didn't put it together.
Did you guys see the Grandmaster in the credits.. He's one of the bad guys for the new Thor...I wonder why they would put him in the credits and not even a scene..weird, but I thought the Avengers or at least one of them would get the post credit scene..with Egos "attack" on earth and the would give us a bridge to the meet up of both teams next year.
Did you guys see the Grandmaster in the credits.. He's one of the bad guys for the new Thor...I wonder why they would put him in the credits and not even a scene..weird, but I thought the Avengers or at least one of them would get the post credit scene..with Egos "attack" on earth and the would give us a bridge to the meet up of both teams next year.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Yeah; when I saw him (Jeff Goldblum for those who don't know who we're referring to) in the credits and was expecting to see a post credit scene with him. It may have just been another way to screw with internet theorists that think the Guardians, or even just Peter, will appear in Ragnarok.
Yeah; when I saw him (Jeff Goldblum for those who don't know who we're referring to) in the credits and was expecting to see a post credit scene with him. It may have just been another way to screw with internet theorists that think the Guardians, or even just Peter, will appear in Ragnarok.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
Ah yes, I kind of forgot that since Thor is going to be off planet....maybe at least a post credit scene like Dr. Strange.

You know what I didn't understand was if Ego loved Peters mother so much, why not just take her with him? Also why would Peters " powers " leave him if Ego died? And really you can kill a Celestial that easily? Too many plot holes for me this time around. Though I still liked it.
You know what I didn't understand was if Ego loved Peters mother so much, why not just take her with him?
I took his comments more to mean that he wouldn't be able to go through with his plans. Like he said he has to continue to come back to the planet regardless because of his connection or more specifically because that version of him is just a representation and not actually him.

Also why would Peters " powers " leave him if Ego died?
My understanding of the movie was that the powers we're more his connection to the light or the source that the representation of ego connected to. Peter didn't they technically have powers of his own but more access to that light. With the source of the power gone he no longer had access to the energy to use it.

But again that's just my interpretation of what I saw.
I can agree with those, the first one more so, but I think and Ego even said that his seeds...er children didn't have the light and Peter actually held an infinity stone and lived...that he needed two celestials, meaning Peter would have to have his own energy source, which seems to me that light was in his genetic make up. Maybe he'll access this again in later movies. Personally when I saw the first movie I thought that they were probably going to substitute Star Lord for Warlock..and this movie gave us another reason to think so...until that mid credit scene...not sure if I'm liking that origin for one of the universes true badasses.
not sure if I'm liking that origin for one of the universes true badasses.
I told you that you wouldn't like it.
I can agree with those, the first one more so, but I think and Ego even said that his seeds...er children didn't have the light and Peter actually held an infinity stone and lived...that he needed two celestials, meaning Peter would have to have his own energy source, which seems to me that light was in his genetic make up. Maybe he'll access this again in later movies. Personally when I saw the first movie I thought that they were probably going to substitute Star Lord for Warlock..and this movie gave us another reason to think so...until that mid credit scene...not sure if I'm liking that origin for one of the universes true badasses.
Yeah; I get that. Especially given Ego's comments about using Peter as a battery. They very well could make it so that he has some, perhaps limited access, to those powers in the future. For now, I'm going to run with the theory that his half celestial nature allowed him to access and store power from the same source that the Ego avatar accessed. Now that said source is gone (Ego told Peter that as long as that light remained, they'd both be immortal) the source of that power is gone.

Perhaps in the future Marvel Studios will give us a clearer answer to this. Or maybe "Film Theory" will come up with something for us to watch on YouTube about it Wink

If he doesn't have the light any more he can't hold an infinity stone anymore and will die like anyone else. Unless it triggers something new in him since it's in his genetic makeup. Maybe he'll absorb the infinity stones. haha
If he doesn't have the light any more he can't hold an infinity stone anymore and will die like anyone else. Unless it triggers something new in him since it's in his genetic makeup. Maybe he'll absorb the infinity stones. haha
Originally Posted by ZeroDesolation
But he was born from the light, the same source as Ego, if he was a true Celestial, then he may or may not be the last of his kind and...oh forget it, I think were on the same page here mostly..anyway.

As for him absorbing the Infinity stones....you may not be to far off on that theory..especially if they are "subbing" him in for Warlock, considering what they are suggesting his new "movie" origin is. Guess we'll have to wait a couple more years to find out.
You mean a fairly true to comics origin? Warlock was created for evil purposes, and broke free from his programming to become a hero.
You mean a fairly true to comics origin? Warlock was created for evil purposes, and broke free from his programming to become a hero.
Originally Posted by futiles
Ok so I can admit I'm not up on Warlocks origin. I knew he was birthed from a pod/seed...whatever you want to call it. I didn't know he was created or by whom. I'll have to go brush up. I thought he lived or was trapped in an infinity stone and his birthing was him escaping or something. I know that he is extremely powerful. Since we're apparently getting Warlock, you think we should get Magus?
Ok so I can admit I'm not up on Warlocks origin. I knew he was birthed from a pod/seed...whatever you want to call it. I didn't know he was created or by whom. I'll have to go brush up. I thought he lived or was trapped in an infinity stone and his birthing was him escaping or something. I know that he is extremely powerful. Since we're apparently getting Warlock, you think we should get Magus?
Yes, he is an engineered "perfect being" designed initially to do evil. But, broke free pretty much immediately.

Honestly, they can skip Magus (both versions of creation) and The Goddess. As much as I like Adam Warlock (he is my 3rd favorite comic character, behind Thanos And Captain America), those characters are just dumb, and they would make a very difficult thing to bring to the MCU.

Think about how to present Magus. Could you think of any way to explain, in a two hour movie, a character's future version, being drug back through time, brain washed to be the ultimate defender of life, to specifically be Thanos's foe. The brain washing taking, but, somehow, this also makes you a villain. What? Thanos is THE bad guy, and you are his complete opposite. And you are the bad guy, too. That is legitimately Magus's original origin. OK, so, his reincarnation is Adam Warlock takes the Infinity Gauntlet, and his first act of power is to dismiss his evil and good selves, leaving himself as a being of pure logic. And his evil persona reincarnates as Magus. So, again, his evil persona is the ultimate Defender of Life. Yeah. I can skip that character.
Wow! Didn't realize all that about Magus, I thought he was like the bad to Adams good..which in a way that you explain it he is and yet not...yea your right way to complicated, but with this MCU I could totally see them throwing him in there as a bit character and killed off quickly...lol. I haven't collect in a long time.. I think it was the original Hero's reborn after the original Onslaught storyline, before the Ultimate universe (I know those two storylines are not related). My favorite Marvel characters are Ghost (Johnny Blaze) Rider and Thor, but I digress and apologize for hijacking this thread.
So back on track and now that I remember what else was bugging me about this movie. I just dont think Mantis is powerful enough to put a pissed of Celestial to sleep. Keep him asleep, yes, but to just shut him down like that, I don't think so. Considering Celestials are suppose to be pretty darn powerful, like close to god like power levels, which was pretty evident in the movie itself.
So back on track and now that I remember what else was bugging me about this movie. I just dont think Mantis is powerful enough to put a pissed of Celestial to sleep. Keep him asleep, yes, but to just shut him down like that, I don't think so. Considering Celestials are suppose to be pretty darn powerful, like close to god like power levels, which was pretty evident in the movie itself.
I honestly don't know enough about that particular character to offer an effective rebuttal. I suppose it's possible that it's more like the effect of a Pavlov's response. Ego is so used to going to sleep when she does it for half he just did it automatically out of reflex when she tried. Or perhaps I'm just blowing hot air.
I honestly don't know enough about that particular character to offer an effective rebuttal. I suppose it's possible that it's more like the effect of a Pavlov's response. Ego is so used to going to sleep when she does it for half he just did it automatically out of reflex when she tried. Or perhaps I'm just blowing hot air.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
I'm going to do some research, but I'm pretty sure she was never that strong, I could be wrong,considering she said she was the last of kind.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account