Gears of War on Netflix

General Chat

Found 21 posts - Go to Last Post

So I am scrolling through Twitter and see a post by Dave Bautista thinking it was an announcement for the Gears of War film or series because he has a working relationship with them only to realize a few days later that he is cosplaying to get the job. Would he make a good Marcus Fenix?

So I am scrolling through Twitter and see a post by Dave Bautista thinking it was an announcement for the Gears of War film or series because he has a working relationship with them only to realize a few days later that he is cosplaying to get the job. Would he make a good Marcus Fenix?
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Give it to him, promise him it'll be true to the source material, make a decent series, then a naff one, then betray all the source material and replace him with Liam Hemsworth.
Give it to him, promise him it'll be true to the source material, make a decent series, then a naff one, then betray all the source material and replace him with Liam Hemsworth.
Originally Posted by C64 Mat
I see what you did there...
Yeah, we got that didn't we. A waste of a talent and a franchise.
I would love to see a fairly faithful adaptation of the Gears of War franchise and I could easily see Dave Bautista as Marcus Fenix. With that said, after seeing so many franchises get butchered lately, they'd probably fill it with romantic sub plots and change the designs for the Locust, etc.
The rock would do better job than bautista ever did
I would love to see a fairly faithful adaptation of the Gears of War franchise and I could easily see Dave Bautista as Marcus Fenix. With that said, after seeing so many franchises get butchered lately, they'd probably fill it with romantic sub plots and change the designs for the Locust, etc.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
At worst we will get a cool animated movie/series and the live action will be terrible. I watched the Cyberpunk2077 series they had and it pretty entertaining. As was the Arcane/League of Legends series.
At worst...the live action will be terrible.
Gotta love that optimism Big Grin

Sorry, I know I cherry picked that quote but it was too funny not to. Also, unrelated to this quote, I disagree with the above - The Rock would be an awful fit for Gears!
Directional Pad (Up) Directional Pad (Up) Directional Pad (Down) Directional Pad (Down) Directional Pad (Left) Directional Pad (Right) Directional Pad (Left) Directional Pad (Right) B Button A Button
Originally Posted by APOPHIS1989
So true, I agree completely
So true, I agree completely
Originally Posted by zoidberg1339
Hey, that's cheating!
Gotta love that optimism Big Grin

Sorry, I know I cherry picked that quote but it was too funny not to. Also, unrelated to this quote, I disagree with the above - The Rock would be an awful fit for Gears!
It is my belief that the rise of streaming services have green lit so many projects with people that are not qualified to be executives, actors, directors, writers, or show runners just for the sake of having content for said services. Many of these people are not good at their jobs, they are training on the job, and that doesn't make undeniably good movies or shows.

You would think that more would be good, but all that these streaming services have accomplished is that they stretched the talent pool beyond the breaking point. So we get an awful Witcher show that should be canceled, instead of hiring a Henry replacement.

Look how bad that Resident Evil show was. That show runner had a multi season road map all planned out for like 10 years. One and done, canceled.

The Paramount Halo show, just awful.
It is my belief that the rise of streaming services have green lit so many projects with people that are not qualified to be executives, actors, directors, writers, or show runners just for the sake of having content for said services. Many of these people are not good at their jobs, they are training on the job, and that doesn't make undeniably good movies or shows.

You would think that more would be good, but all that these streaming services have accomplished is that they stretched the talent pool beyond the breaking point. So we get an awful Witcher show that should be canceled, instead of hiring a Henry replacement.

Look how bad that Resident Evil show was. That show runner had a multi season road map all planned out for like 10 years. One and done, canceled.

I would wholeheartedly agree. Some of the writing has been absolutely awful, and characters have been well and truly ruined. Look at the train-wreck that is She-Hulk. Goddamn atrocious.

Thing with the Resi series is, the showrunner created Supernatural, which I adored all the way through. Loved it. But we don't need teenage girls singing in a bedroom in Resident Evil, FFS.

I was super eager to watch The Wheel of Time on Amazon as I'd started reading the series in the mid 1990s and really enjoyed the books. I was not happy with the show. It had some entertainment value, but there were so many random changes that didn't seem to make sense... at least not until I started reading online discussions about it and the showrunner and learned that some of the changes he made were just to mess with the on-set book/series expert, and others that he made (or wanted to make) were just because. There is a character who interacts with wolves (I'll call it the series's "version" of a "werewolf", though not actually a werewolf) and for whatever reason the guy wanted to change it to bears (which I don't recall being in the books at all lol).
Don't even get me started on what Amazon did in making Rings of Power.
I feel like making creative decisions for the sole purpose of upsetting the person specifically hired to inform people’s creative decisions is the sign of not-particularly-serious people being promoted beyond their level of competence.

I can’t imagine being that petty at work, and what I do has much lower stakes than a series with a multimillion dollar budget.
Don't even get me started on what Amazon did in making Rings of Power.
Originally Posted by Dvader83
Are we sure that the people behind that don’t have some scheme where they wrapped Tolkien’s body in copper wire so they could generate electricity from all the spinning in his grave he did because of Rings of Power?

I don’t think we can rule that out yet…

Same things were said when cable was introduced. And, it was true on some levels, and then the quality of content caught up. Streaming content quality is increasing at a faster pace than cable content did.
Same things were said when cable was introduced. And, it was true on some levels, and then the quality of content caught up. Streaming content quality is increasing at a faster pace than cable content did.
Originally Posted by futiles
There might be some similarities, but I feel this era is different. When HBO started up it was totally just about bringing movies to your home. That was a big chunk of the programing, the name of the company literally says that, Home Box Office.

I remember getting HBO as a kid in the early 1980s. It was all about the movies. I don't know what the business model was as far as paying studios for movies to be on the channel was. If it was a shared income or just an outright lump sum for a library of x amount of films per month (Would be an interesting documentary). Was it based on Nielsen ratings? Could have been any of these combos, I never looked into it much, but HBO built up a subscriber base over the years to do that. Then they got past a threshold of subscribers that gave them an abundance of cash to start making shows and the occasional film.

This is where as a company you take a measured chance and the first shows that I can even remember were Fraggle Rock and then maybe Oz as the big first hits. All happening well after they were an established bankable entity. The other Pay channels then followed suit and certainly not at the same level of success. HBO was KING and the place that they screwed up was canceling a ton of good shows (Deadwood, Carnaval, Rome, etc...) so that they could make shows set in existing modern places at a fraction of the cost . The other Cable companies caught up with shows like Dexter and Spartacus. Then AMC buries them with the Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and a bunch of other shows. HBO is like oh Shit we lost Sundays, quick Greenlight Game of Thrones!

In comes Netflix, they changes how renting movies are done. They make streaming a reality. They then have to fight it out with studios who want bigger and bigger cuts for their films and shows which is really doing nothing for that extra money. Netflix built up that subscriber base, they passed that threshold, and basically told them ok we pass on that deal. We will start making our own content instead of paying these studios. Stranger Things is a massive hit and the ball starts rolling in Netflix's favor. They start making films as well, they are wining awards, and building up the company. Stock hits $600+ a share price.

The studios' reaction to this is. Oh shit, they kinda don't need us now. In some office building one Executive says to another, well if they can do it so can we. Wait our library is very limited or just old, GREEN LIGHT EVERYTHING! Destroying practically every established franchise and simultaneously not making any new content that is good. Multiply that by 10 studios that don't have a clue. That is the state of entertainment.

If anyone had something to say about Cable Channels back in the day it was the big Must See TV networks, who had their lunch eaten when Cable companies could curse and show nudity. Networks were limited because they sold advertising and broadcast shows for free. They had to meet standards to broadcast. The paying public got better entertainment with cable. I certainly stopped watching network shows other then maybe Star Trek and some sports.

With these streaming services there is no measured approach, no programing. There is only content. That in part is maybe a problem caused by the consumer who wants entertainment on demand and on their time. Do studios look at the cost and decided if it is worth the gamble? I don't think they do, they are just trowing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. In some cases, they are praying it does. Do you honestly think that Kathleen Kennedy has the capacity to oversee 10+ LucasFilm Minus projects with any ounce of quality control and continuity? Their story group is a massive failure.

Yup, The talent pool has been stretched beyond it's limit.
I said CABLE, not HBO. HBO is a premium content channel above and beyond cable. My specific was when cable was introduced, bringing channels like WGN, TBS, Nickelodeon, etc to the masses, meaning they all needed content to show, leading some to be split channels or go off air.

HBO was introduced after cable, and it launched with original content, it was not just movies. It had news and sports in addition to movies, in fact, Cinemax was its Spinoff Product to focus on films, Cinema Max...

But, streaming vs cable, considering Netflix/AppleTV/Roku/Hulu/Disney+ as a modern analogy of Nickelodeon/TBS/WGN is very proper.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account