Porsche's Movie Reviews - Don't Breathe

Entertainment

Found 11 posts - Go to Last Post

Don't Breathe, the sleeper hit of late summer (or beginning of fall), the latest offering from Italian director/screenwriter Fede Alvarez, who is the subtle genius behind the astounding Evil Dead remake, has totally taken the American thriller/horror audience by storm. The film, with a modest $10 million budget, easily surpassed producers expectations by raking in well over $100 million and counting at the box office. The clever and stylish plot revolves around Rocky (played by the beautiful and captivating Jane Levy who shocked us in Evil Dead) and her quiet desperation to escape the dour destruction of a dilapidated Detroit lifestyle. In her desire to rid herself and her young daughter of the oppressive home environment she's forced to live in, she resorts to home invasion and burglary, with the assistance of Alex (Dylan Minnette) who has access to his father's home security business, which keeps copies of clients' keys. They use the keys and the tools of the business to easily access the homes and pilfer the goods inside, selling them for an inbearable margian - anything to put food on the plate.

The latest potential hit is the home of an older veteran, who was blinded during his services. His daughter was also killed by one of Detroit's elite, and he was paid off in cash to shut him, as we are told early on. The crew of Rocky and Alex, and Rocky's beau 'Money' (tje forgettable Daniel Zovatto) first scope the house and plan their attack in the day. Later that evening, they work towards infiltrating this residence, and succesfully breach it through a bathroom window. As Money drugs the Blind Man to a further and deeper sleep, they start exploring the house, trying to discover the cash and it's hidden whereabouts. The come upon a locked and padlocked door, and convince themselves that it holds the treasures they seek.

After breaking the lock, they are suprised by the sudden arrival of the blind man, who is played by the formidable Stephen Lang, best known for his villainous turn in James Cameron's Avatar. The old, blind army veteran makes a quick turn of Money while the other two, Alex and Rocky, silently watch - the Blind Man kills Money quickly, and decides to cover the instance up. We are treated to a silent game of blind cat and two scared mice until the cat becomes very aware of the mice that have also penetrated his castle.

What follows after this revelation to the Blind Man is nothing but intense, as the robbers try to evade and escape the secured fortress. The sheer intensity of fear and adrenaline created instances where I swear my heart was going to fail. This film, and it's rather disturbing yet entirely probable fear factor, grips you to the core. Eventually, you drift away from rooting for any character, as they all reveal an evil buried within that deserves supplication to a higher deity.

I will not explain any more of the plot than this revealing first act that sets the stage. The remainder of the film is superb.and chaotic, and there is a rather unsettling scene later on that delves us all deeper into the madness that Detroit has become. I highly recommend this film to any and all fans of the thriller genre, with the caveat that this is film and it's entire story is completely probable, and similar stories might even exist in the dark suburbs of our cities.

See it before it leaves the theater for full effect, especially when the Blind Man pushes Rocky and Alex into his black world - the small screen at home with any lights on will ruin this amazing experience.
Last edited 10-03-2016 at 05:23 PM by porschephiliac.
I will update this post once my writing is finished. Having to stop in the middle...
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
Don't forget to breathe while writing it.
Don't forget to breathe while writing it.
Originally Posted by palmettobling
Bah dum, tish!

I finished it but it's at home. I'll set it up this evening.
Bah dum, tish!

I finished it but it's at home. I'll set it up this evening.
Ummm...still waiting Smile
I will update this post once my writing is finished. Having to stop in the middle...
This is possibly my favorite of all the reviews...
Ummm...still waiting Smile
Originally Posted by Homeless Messia
Updated the other day. I guess it doesn't show up in feeds? Was that yday? IDK, working too hard lately.
Updated the other day. I guess it doesn't show up in feeds? Was that yday? IDK, working too hard lately.
Well it was worth the wait, good review. I already wanted to see this but now I really want to see this film.
I actually didn't want to see it until I read this...now I'm very excited. Great read.
Updated the other day. I guess it doesn't show up in feeds?
Nope, edits don't make posts/threads change their position on the "recent" list, nor do they show as "unread" to someone who has already read/marked as read every post in the thread.
Nope, edits don't make posts/threads change their position on the "recent" list, nor do they show as "unread" to someone who has already read/marked as read every post in the thread.
Originally Posted by futiles
Good to know. Thanks.
Originally Posted by futiles
Yup, that means you'll have to bump your own reserve or edit. Funny I thought everyone knew this, that's why when I update or wait MotM thread I don't bump it every time. I'm that more I implore everyone to be selective of threads they need to bump, while not totally against the guidelines here it is frowned upon when used excessively or to boost comment counts and could get you into some trouble.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account