Retro Achievements

General Chat

Found 22 posts - Go to Last Post

Are you interested in Retro Achievements?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 3 (10.34%) I'm already a member!

× 3 (10.34%) I'd heard of it but hadn't looked into it

× 13 (44.83%) I hadn't heard of it, but I'm interested!

× 2 (6.90%) I HAD heard of it, but I'm not interested

× 8 (27.59%) I HADN'T heard of it, and I'm NOT interested

• Added 09-09-2022 11:38 AM
  • 29 votes
Good day you wonderful lot!

I am no way affiliated with the site, but for those of a certain age, I thought this might be of interest:

Retro Achievements

The basic premise is this:

You sign up for a profile on the site, which automatically adds you to their achievement / leaderboard servers, much like signing up for an Xbox Live - sorry, Network - account.

Using specially selected emulators that allow you to sign into the site through them, you can earn achievements on your retro gamer profile on games stretching across everything from the Apple II and the NES to the PS1 and the Atari Jaguar.

It just so happens that the best PS1 emulator, DuckStation, allows for these sign ins. Yep, there are now 66 achievements to be earned in the original Silent Hill!

For those who prefer to use RetroArch as their emulator front end, don't worry - that's supported too!

One of the greatest things about the site is that you can create your own achievements, points and artwork and have them added to your favourite games. You'll need a bit of coding know how though, as it requires you to run a decompiler along with the emulator so you can inject the bit of code where it needs to go to unlock the achievements properly.

For those who just wish to play and have no interest in creating, there are already tens of thousand of achievements live for thousands of different games across over forty systems.

So if, like me, you love booting up an emulator to play your favourite games of yesteryear, this could give you the extra motivation you need for playing!

If anyone wishes to add me there, I'm C64Mat, and yes, I have just unlocked one achievement is Silent Hill so far. Sue me.

Let me know if any of you think is is cool or useful, I'd love to hear your experience on it.

Personally, I'm looking forward to creating achievements for all my favourite C64 Dizzy games. Whether their API can support Vice64 or not is another matter...

Last edited 09-16-2022 at 06:52 AM by C64 Mat.
Seems like a neat idea, but personally I don't have a much time for gaming as I used to, so currently have no plans to install an emulator to play my older games again.
Back in the day I played a ton of Commodore 64 games. I still have them all and fire it up once in a blue moon when family all gets together. Hell Vice City has a throw back load screen in the game. This sounds like a cool idea, but I don't think I have the time to dig into either. Maybe if I have some time I will have a look around. Thanks for the heads up, at least now I know it exists.
Back in the day I played a ton of Commodore 64 games. I still have them all and fire it up once in a blue moon when family all gets together. Hell Vice City has a throw back load screen in the game. This sounds like a cool idea, but I don't think I have the time to dig into either. Maybe if I have some time I will have a look around. Thanks for the heads up, at least now I know it exists.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Jeez man, at some point we need to get together (virtually) and have a chat about our favourite Commodore games. There'll be a lot of cross over, but I bet we've had some wildly different experiences!

Are you aware games are still being produced for the system?

Check these out:

https://www.protovision.games/index.php?language=en

http://www.psytronik.net/

There have been some fantastic games released over the last few years. Some lunatic is even porting Limbo to the 64. Limbo!
Jeez man, at some point we need to get together (virtually) and have a chat about our favourite Commodore games. There'll be a lot of cross over, but I bet we've had some wildly different experiences!

Are you aware games are still being produced for the system?

Check these out:

https://www.protovision.games/index.php?language=en

http://www.psytronik.net/

There have been some fantastic games released over the last few years. Some lunatic is even porting Limbo to the 64. Limbo!
Originally Posted by C64 Mat
Wow, really? That is a bit hilarious that people are doing that. I guess it goes to show you how great of a machine it was that there is still an interest in the system. For sure on the meet up, it would be interesting to hear how it was on your side of the pond considering how big the world was with no internet in the 80s.
OMG Awesome to find not 1, but 2 fellow C64ers. I remember doing game swap sessions and buying floppies by the hundreds. I still have mine (well it's a 128 now) and I used to fire it up on occasion but it has been a long time. 2 games I remember are:
1. One on One with Larry Bird vs. Dr. J - my goal was to never let the CPU score, or to count how many times I could break the backboard. I loved when the little janitor guy would come out and yell at you.
2. Great American Cross Country Race (I forget the actual name, to be honest) - your car would just keep getting faster and faster and faster. Then when you came to a metro area there would be so many cars on the road, it was near impossible not to crash.
OMG Awesome to find not 1, but 2 fellow C64ers. I remember doing game swap sessions and buying floppies by the hundreds. I still have mine (well it's a 128 now) and I used to fire it up on occasion but it has been a long time. 2 games I remember are:
1. One on One with Larry Bird vs. Dr. J - my goal was to never let the CPU score, or to count how many times I could break the backboard. I loved when the little janitor guy would come out and yell at you.
2. Great American Cross Country Race (I forget the actual name, to be honest) - your car would just keep getting faster and faster and faster. Then when you came to a metro area there would be so many cars on the road, it was near impossible not to crash.
Originally Posted by jeffmomm
I 100% played that basketball game.. I forgot all about the janitor...that was great. The 2nd game doesn't ring a bell.

I played a ton of Ultima III, M.U.L.E., Archon, Summer & Winter Olympics. Lots of fun childhood memories here.
Originally Posted by jeffmomm
I remember one on one! But I really loved Street Sports Basketball for my C64 slam dunk fix.

It's always great to meet fellow C64 fans. I remember reading an article online last year about a garage in Poland, I think it was, that still uses a C64 and Mini Office II to do all the records on. Mental.
My experience with the C64 was programming, not gaming. We had a couple in our school lab, and we used them to learn BASIC and Pascal.
My experience with the C64 was programming, not gaming. We had a couple in our school lab, and we used them to learn BASIC and Pascal.
Originally Posted by futiles
I made a ton of games on the C64. Really enjoyed doing so.
We didn't really make games. Our final project in one class was a game, but, it was more productivity than consumption based.
That’s a cool site, I’ll have to make an account over there…
So if, like me, you love booting up an emulator to play your favourite games of yesteryear
Originally Posted by CraigSchneider
...Then it's something extra to enjoy!
I like how they give game systems without achievements achievements
Do you have plans to link the RetroAchievements account to the website and/or a related badge?
Do you have plans to link the RetroAchievements account to the website and/or a related badge?
Originally Posted by DouguiNEW
I mean, since GTN hasn't made any attempt to tie in any other non-Xbox account achievements, I would not think they would start with this.
Thought it might happen since it rolled with the Steam account
My idea was just to link the account and have a badge related to it
With a backlog of over 1000 games on Xbox im sure ill find something else to play

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account