XOne free games from different country

Xbox One / Series X|S

Found 17 posts - Go to Last Post

Hi everyone,

First of, let me start by saying I'm new at gaming on the XOne. I know the XOne is region free so there should not be a problem downloading free games from stores in other countries.

Only if I do so they don't show up in my download queue. If I try to buy them again I get the message I already bought them. Anyone know if I'm missing something?

These are the steps I took to get the free games (for example SMITE):
1. Go to Xbox.com
2. Click on Netherlands in left bottom corner and change region to USA
3. Sign in
4. Select free game and click purchase
5. Click USA in left bottom corner and change back to Netherlands
6. Check on XOne if game is in download queue (and it isn't Frown )

If anyone knows what I'm missing please let me know.

Cheers
Eddie
SMITE is free in UK too. Its possible that while games are region free, they'll only work on the country setting downloaded to as they will have DRM protection whereas retail discs install centrally.

I think....
Last edited 07-03-2016 at 07:55 AM by PJMC1986.
SMITE is free in UK too. Its possible that while games are region free, they'll only work on the country setting downloaded to as they will have DRM protection whereas retail discs install centrally.

I think....
Originally Posted by dieselv2
Seems like I got SMITE to work somehow. Now it's Onigiri (and if possible the HK version of Neverwinter). Marketplace claims I've bought it 29th of June, but so far not showing. I guess I'll switch region on my XOne once it's finished downloading all the Dutch stuff Smile
Are you member of the Preview Program? There are a few issues with Ready To Install in the latest preview version that are out atm.
Have you tried to do a Soft Reset of the Xbox? (hold the power button for ten seconds until it shuts down?

and you dont have to change the region on the xbox, you can "buy" them on Xbox.com and just change the region there. thats what i most of the times I get games that arent in my region.
Are you member of the Preview Program? There are a few issues with Ready To Install in the latest preview version that are out atm.
Have you tried to do a Soft Reset of the Xbox? (hold the power button for ten seconds until it shuts down?

and you dont have to change the region on the xbox, you can "buy" them on Xbox.com and just change the region there. thats what i most of the times I get games that arent in my region.
Originally Posted by Mardagg
What you suggest is what I've been doing. Only the games I get don't show in the download queue. Smile

I'm not past of the preview program. I only just transferred from the 360 to. XOne. I could try and see what a soft reset will do. Thanks for the info so far Smile
Hi Eddie.

You probably have the same issue as we have. Our X1 is set to Ireland (for the English language), but it only allows us to "buy" stuff is my country is set to "Belgium". Very annoying to change it settings each time. There are a few work-arounds for this problem. My X1 is always set to Ireland.

Did you set your X1 as "home console"? Not sure if it does that automatically. I know I had to do that once we bought a second one, otherwise it installed all my games on my wife's X1.

Do you have a pc running on Windows 10? If yes, use the Xbox app, much easier to use. If not, use xbox.com (Set to Belgium, your case the Netherlands). It will automatically install your just bought game on X1 without having to change your country.

Now for the already bought games, go on the X1 to "my games and apps", "games" and scroll all the way to the right, wait a minute and there you should see a list of all bought but not installed games (right side). You can easily install those that way.

If it is still not working, go to xbox.com and go to your "purchase history". You can give the install command there too.

Edit: I misread you question a bit. You cannot buy stuff from another region via xbox.com, only from the X1. Change your region on the X1 in the settings and restart the console. Now you have the store of the other region and you can buy stuff, re-install them this way. Afterwards, change your region back to your own (or another like Ireland if you do not like your games to start up in Dutch).
You need to change your console to the same region you queued the download from. When it's finished downloading you can switch it back. And you can buy stuff via xbox.com from different regions using this method, but may actually need to set up an account for that region (add address, etc. to xbox.com). Once purchased/queued online, same thing, swap console to that region to download.
I've switched twice and I did exactly what Buckswana said both times. The hardest part is switching to a region you can't read and trying to switch back. Once it was fully downloaded upon switching back I never had a problem.
I've switched twice and I did exactly what Buckswana said both times. The hardest part is switching to a region you can't read and trying to switch back. Once it was fully downloaded upon switching back I never had a problem.
Originally Posted by Homeless Messia
Part of the trick is memorizing where you have to click to change it back to your language. I had to do that to get Onigiri when it was a Japan only game.
china has a lot of free games but china Xbox one is region lock
china has a lot of free games but china Xbox one is region lock
Originally Posted by Gaming Assassin
Which is rather funny as Xbox One is supposed to be region free.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
Well... It is communist China and they do like controlling what their citizens can see, play and do.
Well... It is communist China and they do like controlling what their citizens can see, play and do.
Very true. Hell, they have even banned movies that feature time travel.
Very true. Hell, they have even banned movies that feature time travel.
Have they never seen Back to the Future?
disc games for Xbox one is banned in china you can only digital game codes in china
its the same for the PS4 as well

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account