Epic Challenge 2016

Gaming Chat

Which scoring system do you prefer for Epic Challenge 2016

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 13 (41.94%) Keep Epic Challenge 2015 scoring.

× 18 (58.06%) Simplify scoring by making retail and arcade games weighted equally.

• Added 12-28-2015 08:05 AM
  • 31 votes
Completion #9
White Night
3.10 (Around the Clock)
Equalicious (WP)
Smartest of the gang - 2.39
Originally Posted by Mephisto4thewin
DLC achievements have been released, even though the dlc has not, so this is not a completion for you...yet.
DLC achievements have been released, even though the dlc has not, so this is not a completion for you...yet.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
By the rules it should be. Original post says for a completion all available dlc at that time must be complete and this dlc is not yet available.
By the rules it should be. Original post says for a completion all available dlc at that time must be complete and this dlc is not yet available.
It's always been based on the TA page for each game (like the ratios involved). I understand any confusion, but that's how it's always been run. Unless it's being changed for this year.

For these situations, I am going to have to say that if the achievements show up on TA (which is pulled from xbox.com), then the DLC is "available" even if it cannot be quite downloaded yet. I think that is a more consistent way of doing it instead of trying to figure out when the download was actually available. I understand the confusion and should have clarified the rules, but did not anticipate this situation.

For now I am not going to count the completion, but just post again if/when you complete the Title Update. Thanks

I will try to getting scores updated tonight and get January results out soon.
Completion #10
Knight Squad
2.40 - Darkness Awaits
Completion #5
Ben 10 Alien Force: The Rise of Hex
2.18 (No Time to Waste)

Completion #6
MONOPOLY Deal
1.43 (I Want Those Ones)
For these situations, I am going to have to say that if the achievements show up on TA (which is pulled from xbox.com), then the DLC is "available" even if it cannot be quite downloaded yet. I think that is a more consistent way of doing it instead of trying to figure out when the download was actually available. I understand the confusion and should have clarified the rules, but did not anticipate this situation.

For now I am not going to count the completion, but just post again if/when you complete the Title Update. Thanks

I will try to getting scores updated tonight and get January results out soon.
Originally Posted by Elem3ntal80
Yeah, that was how we always treated it. Not your fault, first year hosting, hard to remember every little detail. Smile Looks like the update just went live for that particular game as well.
Just for my own personal clarification so I don't mess this up in the future, if I complete the core of a game, but it has paid DLC that I have no intention of buying, than it does not count as completed for the purposes of this challenge?
Just for my own personal clarification so I don't mess this up in the future, if I complete the core of a game, but it has paid DLC that I have no intention of buying, than it does not count as completed for the purposes of this challenge?
Originally Posted by Arcstar09
That's right. You need to complete all achievements listed on TA for the game at the time (including 0 gamerscore). If you complete a game and more DLC is listed at a later date, you don't need to do the new DLC to keep your completion (unlike the old days). Wink
Originally Posted by Arcstar09
Correct! An example is right now Fallout 4, I have it completed. It has paid DLC coming out this year, but there are no announcements or achievements posted. If you scored the 1K, it is a completion. In July, there is DLC, it is paid, you finish just the base game, it is not a completion.

Also, I would be able to complete it again.

(I do think that is weird, but, that has always been the rules, and this is my first year participating, so, I'll roll with it)
Correct! An example is right now Fallout 4, I have it completed. It has paid DLC coming out this year, but there are no announcements or achievements posted. If you scored the 1K, it is a completion. In July, there is DLC, it is paid, you finish just the base game, it is not a completion.

Also, I would be able to complete it again.

(I do think that is weird, but, that has always been the rules, and this is my first year participating, so, I'll roll with it)
Originally Posted by futiles
When/if you complete it again, it does not count as another completion, but overwrites your previous one, adjusting the ratio.

Originally completions were lost when new DLC came out, and the ratio at time of completion was fixed, and didn't fluctuate based on other people completing it afterwards. While I preferred it that way, it was when it was a very small group taking part, and became a tracking nightmare for PTart as more and more people joined, hence the changes.
Last edited 02-02-2016 at 06:01 PM by Buckswana.
The real trick is to complete XBOX Fitness this year... Only need 5000 stars, that's only 1000 5 star workouts... So the shortest workout is I think 5 minutes... so if you could do 12 an hour, that's only 83 hours...

Seems like a couple people have this already, I wonder if it is retroactive or they cheated and they should be banned on TA.
The real trick is to complete XBOX Fitness this year... Only need 5000 stars, that's only 1000 5 star workouts... So the shortest workout is I think 5 minutes... so if you could do 12 an hour, that's only 83 hours...

Seems like a couple people have this already, I wonder if it is retroactive or they cheated and they should be banned on TA.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
More than likely retroactive, since it's something that it actively tracks anyway, and many of the other added achievements were retroactive and popped instantly for me. I'll have to boot this up again sometime, haven't touched it since the last update since it was all jumping and squats and my knees are shot. May give it a try anyway, since I could use the workouts. Smile
More than likely retroactive, since it's something that it actively tracks anyway, and many of the other added achievements were retroactive and popped instantly for me. I'll have to boot this up again sometime, haven't touched it since the last update since it was all jumping and squats and my knees are shot. May give it a try anyway, since I could use the workouts. Smile
Originally Posted by Buckswana
I'll be checking it tomorrow, somebody on TA said it was retroactive, still going to be a long way away unless you've been very regular at this game. Say you got a 100 stars a month, it's been out like 27 months, so maybe in the realm for some people that really use it.
When/if you complete it again, it does not count as another completion, but overwrites your previous one, adjusting the ratio.

Originally completions were lost when new DLC came out, and the ratio at time of completion was fixed, and didn't fluctuate based on other people completing it afterwards. While I preferred it that way, it was when it was a very small group taking part, and became a tracking nightmare for PTart as more and more people joined, hence the changes.
Originally Posted by Buckswana
Unless the new TA Ratio is better, why report it again? Let's say I finish a game with a 2.5 ratio, and then DLC comes out, I do the DLC and the new ratio of the best achievement is 1.7, why say anything?
Unless the new TA Ratio is better, why report it again? Let's say I finish a game with a 2.5 ratio, and then DLC comes out, I do the DLC and the new ratio of the best achievement is 1.7, why say anything?
Exactly.

However, sometime DLC releases can increase the ratio dramatically, as happened last year with What in the World (WP). I was the only one to report completing the dlc, and noted that anyone else who had completed it was best to keep their mouth shut or they would lower their own epic score. Those that completed it with or without the Dlc prior got a nice little boost.

Strategery.

I plan to eventually complete Equalicious, even waiting 30 freaking seconds a turn, which will eventually lower all those epic scores for those that are completing the dLc right away.
Here are the current results up through today.

Link to spreadsheet

Feel free to check your completions and score and let me know if something is not right.

Epic Score
Hotdogmcgee 28.60
Musquito 19.15
JGravert 17.55
DomeJohnny 17.27
The Fury l84l 16.67
Elem3ntal80 15.75
futiles 12.03
Mephisto4thewin 9.45
BigNev44 5.52
fragilesound 4.60
spankyNspronkle 4.41
MrGompers 3.11
Fshguy 2.09
Arcstar09 2.07
Buckswana 1.34
B8TINGU 0.00
Dacoto 0.00
Kaens 0.00
porschephiliac 0.00
pTartTX 0.00
Yontnaem 0.00

Completions
Hotdogmcgee 11
Musquito 11
The Fury l84l 10
JGravert 9
Elem3ntal80 6
futiles 6
Mephisto4thewin 5
DomeJohnny 5
fragilesound 3
BigNev44 2
MrGompers 2
spankyNspronkle 2
Buckswana 1
Fshguy 1
Arcstar09 1
B8TINGU 0
Dacoto 0
Kaens 0
porschephiliac 0
pTartTX 0
Yontnaem 0
There's really no reason to unless it's higher. Again, difference between how it is now with so many more people and when it was a really small group. Back then DLC removed your completion until recompleted, at which time you had to repost to get your completion back. Someone else completing the same game got the new ratio (usually lower obviously), and you kept the ratio you had when you completed it. Small differences, but changed the overall scoring quite a bit. There is now some strategy involved like Hotdog said, while back then you just wanted to complete stuff as quickly as possible. I know part of the reason I had high scores a couple of years were games like Xbox Fitness, Forza 5 and Ryse that had really high ratio DLC I completed, that no one else did.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account