Region Free 360?

Xbox 360

Found 24 posts - Go to Last Post

I was at Game Stop today and the attendant told me something very interesting. He said the last model for 360's are region free and will play any region game? Can anyone confirm this? It would be the new model redesigned 360 that look similar to the One.

That would be totally awesome. We got such a 360 as well. I do not own regio-locked games, so I cannot test it out myself.
I was at Game Stop today and the attendant told me something very interesting. He said the last model for 360's are region free and will play any region game? Can anyone confirm this? It would be the new model redesigned 360 that look similar to the One.

Originally Posted by B8TINGU
That would be good to know if it's true. Even better if I had known about that last year before buying a Japanese console... If we could play Euro and Japanese games on it, might be worth replacing one of mine.
That would be good to know if it's true. Even better if I had known about that last year before buying a Japanese console... If we could play Euro and Japanese games on it, might be worth replacing one of mine.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Absolutely!

That would be pretty sweet!
I really have my doubts on this after a few searches... There are plenty of hacks you can do, but do you really want to chance getting your console/gamer tag banned for that.
I have a couple of J-Games at the house. I also have the newest console design. I also know that GameStop employees are idiots.

I will conform/deny later.
Unfortunately it's not true,

I have every Xbox 360 model and i just put in Psycho Break (Japanese version of The Evil Within) and it said the region to play the game is incorrect, looks like the GS employee was trying to get a sale.
I also know that GameStop employees are idiots.
Originally Posted by futiles
Exactly what I was thinking.
Speaking of gamestop, does anyone know if their dumpsters are off limits to the public?
Speaking of gamestop, does anyone know if their dumpsters are off limits to the public?
Originally Posted by Sentimentalnoos
Most business dumpsters are off limits for two reasons.

1) Company pays by tonnage to remove debris. So, someone adding to the dumpster directly increases their monthly costs.

2) Liability insurance, if someone is climbing in/out of dumpster and hurts themselves, the store might be liable.
Dumpster diving is legal in the United States except where prohibited by local regulation. According to a 1988 Supreme Court Ruling (California vs. Greenwood), when a person throws something out, that item is now the public domain. Here is some language from that ruling: “It is common knowledge that plastic garbage bags left on or at the side of a public street are readily accessible to animals, children, scavengers, snoops, and other members of the public.”

However, if a dumpster is against a building or inside a fenced enclosure marked “No Trespassing,” you could be questioned, ticketed or even arrested by the police. Other law-enforcement tactics to discourage dumpster diving include:

– to ticket or arrest for littering (hence the legal as well as common courtesy reason to leave a trash area neater than you found it!);

– to ticket or arrest for disorderly conduct, if you are blocking a sidewalk or generally creating a ruckus while dumpster diving, or refuse to leave an area when requested to do so.

http://www.casebriefs.com/blog/law/c...a-v-greenwood/

https://www.wcl.american.edu/journal...8/herdrich.pdf

Unless a town or city has specifically made dumpster diving illegal, generally the police will not come unless called by a store manager or property owner. Being courteous with any store employee (or resident with a dumpster) who questions the dumpster diving in progress, and to use common sense about how long an individual or group stays at any one trash location. If anyone asks you to leave, consider doing so, even if the law is on your side.
Originally Posted by Sentimentalnoos
Also if your looking for in store props or old game cases, just talk to the employees an or managers, they are pretty cool about it, at least that 's been my experience. I have around 20 or so GameStops in my town/area that are pretty excusable and I frequent enough of them that at least one of the employees or managers knows me to a degree.. I almost took home an in store XBOX ONE Box display before launch, but decided against it.. I had asked about a big game box, The DEAD RISING 3 display, but the guy misunderstood me at was going to give me the One Display box instead. I politely declined. He said he couldn't give me the DR3 one right away as he didn't get too many of them, but for me to come back about a month after launch and he's probably have something to replace it by then. Oddly I never went back to get it.

They gave that stuff away before but then for some time they stopped, then they started using it for Power Point giveaways and new subscriber give aways and pre order bonuses, now they are back to just giving it away again.

Heck you can talk to other stores too they usually give their stuff away too, it saves them the trouble of throwing it away and it makes them look good. At least that's why I think they do it.
Dumpster diving is legal in the United States except where prohibited by local regulation. According to a 1988 Supreme Court Ruling (California vs. Greenwood), when a person throws something out, that item is now the public domain. Here is some language from that ruling: “It is common knowledge that plastic garbage bags left on or at the side of a public street are readily accessible to animals, children, scavengers, snoops, and other members of the public.”

However, if a dumpster is against a building or inside a fenced enclosure marked “No Trespassing,” you could be questioned, ticketed or even arrested by the police. Other law-enforcement tactics to discourage dumpster diving include:

– to ticket or arrest for littering (hence the legal as well as common courtesy reason to leave a trash area neater than you found it!);

– to ticket or arrest for disorderly conduct, if you are blocking a sidewalk or generally creating a ruckus while dumpster diving, or refuse to leave an area when requested to do so.

http://www.casebriefs.com/blog/law/c...a-v-greenwood/

https://www.wcl.american.edu/journal...8/herdrich.pdf

Unless a town or city has specifically made dumpster diving illegal, generally the police will not come unless called by a store manager or property owner. Being courteous with any store employee (or resident with a dumpster) who questions the dumpster diving in progress, and to use common sense about how long an individual or group stays at any one trash location. If anyone asks you to leave, consider doing so, even if the law is on your side.
Originally Posted by DJ Psyanyde
Thank you this is what I was looking for.
I have a couple of J-Games at the house. I also have the newest console design. I also know that GameStop employees are idiots.

I will conform/deny later.
Originally Posted by futiles
Not sure if you got around to this or not, but were you able to discern this and if so what did you find out?
Not sure if you got around to this or not, but were you able to discern this and if so what did you find out?
I think the conclusion is don't use Gamestop employee information. There is no such thing as a region free 360, unless of course its modded and then MS will most likely ban your console.
Unfortunately it's not true,

I have every Xbox 360 model and i just put in Psycho Break (Japanese version of The Evil Within) and it said the region to play the game is incorrect, looks like the GS employee was trying to get a sale.
Originally Posted by BigNev44
Since BigNev44 posted such a definitive answer, I felt the answer was clear. I did not see the need to even try. I can tomorrow, but, really don't see the point.
I think the conclusion is don't use Gamestop employee information. There is no such thing as a region free 360, unless of course its modded and then MS will most likely ban your console.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Actually I believe ALL 360s are region free, but they are region aware. The locking happens on the disks.
Actually I believe ALL 360s are region free, but they are region aware. The locking happens on the disks.
Originally Posted by Kaens
No, they are region-coded. So, they play region specific and region free media. The console and the media both have a region code, and they must match to work. Same with DVD and Bluray players. USA/Canada are Region 1, and hardware is coded with that. It is a dual-layer system.

Media can be region free, well more specifically "all regions." By being all regions, when the hardware says, "Are you my region?" The media answers, "Yes, yes I am!" (Because it is, is has all 8 region codes...)

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account