Sony's reaction to Microsoft's Call of Duty comments

Gaming Chat

Found 9 posts - Go to Last Post

Is Jim Ryan right to express concern over potential CoD exclusivity?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 0 (0%) Yes! Everyone should get it, regardless of PS's past attitude

× 0 (0%) Yes! Everyone should get it, but Sony should open their library too

× 7 (29.17%) I don't care either way

× 3 (12.50%) No, I think exclusives shouldn't be a thing

× 14 (58.33%) No, I think Xbox should keep it for themselves - after all, Sony would

• Added 09-09-2022 12:11 PM
  • 24 votes
Recently, Sony exec Jim Ryan expressed concern over Microsoft's statement that "Call of Duty [will remain multiplatform] for at least three years".

According to Ryan, he thinks this isn't enough of a commitment, and that it's unfair to "the players" if they end up not being able to play their favourite game on the PS platform.

Considering Sony's attitude hitherto, i.e. making deals to keep third party games exclusive to PlayStation, and having CoD modes and content appear on PlayStation first, my personal opinion is that Ryan is talking out of his arse. My feeling is this: If PlayStation bought Square Enix, you can bet that they'd announce future Final Fantasy titles as exclusive to their platform the same day the deal went through.

But I'm interested to know: What do YOU think?
It is exactly as businesses do. Sony is making reasons for the DoJ to require extra from MS. Both MS and Activision are US companies, so, subject to DoJ approval.

If Sony bought Square, it would be a Japanese company buying a Japanese company, and would not have the same approval process.

(Also, MS dwarfs Sony in size, and Activision dwarfs Square in size. So, it already had regulators concerned, so, Sony is just stoking that.)
It is exactly as businesses do. Sony is making reasons for the DoJ to require extra from MS. Both MS and Activision are US companies, so, subject to DoJ approval.

If Sony bought Square, it would be a Japanese company buying a Japanese company, and would not have the same approval process.

(Also, MS dwarfs Sony in size, and Activision dwarfs Square in size. So, it already had regulators concerned, so, Sony is just stoking that.)
Originally Posted by futiles
Of course, businesses want what's best for their business, which is unarguably to make the most profit. I wasn't talking about the scale of the acquisition, though.

My concern is more in line with the hypocrisy of Ryan's talk - Sony have zero problems securing third party exclusives all of the time. It feels like they'll pay anything to get them. But as soon as Microsoft step up to do the same - and not even with immediate effect, if even at all - Ryan is all over it in case he loses Sony's precious CoD dollars.
Ryan can eat a bag of dicks.

Sony has operated for years with exclusives. Take Bungie for example. D1 had year+ long exclusive content on Sony's platform. D2 has also done the same.

Everyone has exclusives: it's what sells systems. MS has always been more open to multi-platform anything. Sony has been the one hindering progress on cross console play. Sony has been the one on hindering mutually shared content.

I love seeing them cry fowl when they have been far worse with everything they're complaining about. "oh we're the console leaders these past two generations. We don't have to do anything to promote cross-anything. blehhhhh"

get fucked Sony.
Sony, with Destiny and Spider-man and more recently apparently paying companies to NOT put their games on Gamepads are showing themselves as complete hypocrites.
Sony, with Destiny and Spider-man and more recently apparently paying companies to NOT put their games on Gamepads are showing themselves as complete hypocrites.
Originally Posted by Nod Nolan
Spider-Man is an actual Sony published game. This is no different than Nintendo keeping Mario and Zelda exclusive, or MS keeping Halo and Gears exclusive.

In fact, even more like the character of Mario, since Sony literally owns the video rights to Spider-Man, since long before game exclusives were a thing...
Spider-Man is an actual Sony published game. This is no different than Nintendo keeping Mario and Zelda exclusive, or MS keeping Halo and Gears exclusive.

In fact, even more like the character of Mario, since Sony literally owns the video rights to Spider-Man, since long before game exclusives were a thing...
Originally Posted by futiles
You are mis-informed over Spider-Man.

Sony only own the movie rights as sold when Marvel went for into financial difficulties in the 1990s

https://screenrant.com/spider-man-pl...ony-insomniac/
I don't care to much either way, I will always be on the Xbox. I also would never switch because of exclusivity. However Sony is pretty underhanded paying developers to not make games available on GamePass. They did well last gen, making interesting games people wanted to play. A lot better games then what was available on the Xbox. So Sony should shut up and keep doing that to keep their players if they are afraid to loosing gamers. If MS want to make CoD exclusives they can, it's theirs to do as they will. Deal with it or make an agreement with MS to swap exclusive games. That would make all gamers happy.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account