Semantics: Do you "beat" or "complete" a game?

Gaming Chat

Found 10 posts - Go to Last Post

Which terminology do you use?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 6 (17.65%) Beat

× 23 (67.65%) Complete

× 4 (11.76%) What? I've started the next game already...

× 10 (29.41%) I'm just here for the Poll

• Added 09-19-2022 02:52 PM
  • 34 votes
  • Multiple choice enabled
Whch terminology do you use? Do you "Beat" a game or "Complete" a game?
For me, it depends on the game type. For example, I "beat" Frozen Snowball Fight, or whatever it is called. Or, I "beat" the Warren Vidic DLC for one of the earlier AC games. However, I "completed" Skyrim. I think, for me, story based games I complete, while some other types like platformers, I beat.

Or maybe I just use them interchangeably without thinking about it. :-) lol
I've always used "complete". Beat sounds a little too combative for my tastes Big Grin
I kind of use them interchangeably, but I might favor " Completed " a little bit more. I sometimes even use " Finished ".
I kind of use them interchangeably, but I might favor " Completed " a little bit more. I sometimes even use " Finished ".
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
I'll say "finished" when I've seen the story through to the end, but I reserve "completed" for either getting all of the achievements, or getting 100%.
By beating a game do you mean just playing through the it and completing the main story, and by complete you mean unlocking all achievements, or finding all collectibles, side missions, Easter rags, etc. Even if they aren't needed for any achievements? I'd say I favor completing game a little bit more, anything I play I always will try to unlock all achievements, but really I like to do both whenever I can. It really just all depends on the game. Titles I like I always play to finish both the story and cheeves. Sometimes the side missions, collectibles, challenges, events, etc. Aren't required for completion but if I like the game I still like do anything as mentioned just for fun. I think most games you need to beat in order to complete anyway, but there are still many where you don't, usually easy titles. I'm trying to steer away from playing these types of games (with the exception of title updates and games I've already bought but haven't played) but when it comes to quick and easy games like the Rataliaka's and others like it, I have played just to get the completion and don't end up beating. Not always though, there have been some that I enjoyed and continued playing until I've beat the actual game. Like I said, just depends on the game and if I enjoy playing it.
I've "beaten" a game when I've finished the main story or completed the series of puzzles that make up the game. I've "completed" it when I've also done the little side quests/activities and/or gotten all of the achievements.
By beating a game do you mean just playing through the it and completing the main story, and by complete you mean unlocking all achievements, or finding all collectibles, side missions, Easter rags, etc. Even if they aren't needed for any achievements? I'd say I favor completing game a little bit more, anything I play I always will try to unlock all achievements, but really I like to do both whenever I can. It really just all depends on the game. Titles I like I always play to finish both the story and cheeves. Sometimes the side missions, collectibles, challenges, events, etc. Aren't required for completion but if I like the game I still like do anything as mentioned just for fun. I think most games you need to beat in order to complete anyway, but there are still many where you don't, usually easy titles. I'm trying to steer away from playing these types of games (with the exception of title updates and games I've already bought but haven't played) but when it comes to quick and easy games like the Rataliaka's and others like it, I have played just to get the completion and don't end up beating. Not always though, there have been some that I enjoyed and continued playing until I've beat the actual game. Like I said, just depends on the game and if I enjoy playing it.
Originally Posted by I Am Kernholio
The reason I ask is that I feel "Beat" is a really strange term.

What sensible creators would create a piece of art that can't be fully consumed?
Both.

“Beat” means “finished the main story”.

“Complete” means “got all the achievements”.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account