Your thoughts on Remasters / Remakes.

Gaming Chat

Found 19 posts - Go to Last Post

Re-releases: Where do you stand?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 3 (16.67%) Remasters or remakes, I'll take 'em all day!

× 1 (5.56%) I'll always get even basic remasters of my favourite games, for sure!

× 4 (22.22%) I'll always get a remake of a good game, remasters only if I love the original.

× 7 (38.89%) I'll consider a remaster or a remake, but it has to be my favourite thing.

× 1 (5.56%) I'd consider a remaster or remake if the game is at least from the PS1 or older.

× 2 (11.11%) If I missed the original, then I'd consider it.

× 0 (0%) Never. What's the point? Play the OG version as it was meant to be.

• Added 10-08-2022 12:37 PM
  • 18 votes
It's fair to say that, for the whole of console generation 8, re-releases of slightly older games dominated the narrative.

Left, right and centre, we were bombarded with remasters of games which often didn't really need to be done, usually the original was only a few years old, and very often - in the case of Xbox at least - was still purchasable digitally and even through backwards compatibility.

As achievements changed the way a lot of people played console games, some of the remasters were admittedly fantastic excuses to go back through our favourite games from gens 5, 6 and 7. Mass Effect, for example, or Spyro and Crash.

Others were oddities and invited bemusement and disbelief - the Batman Telltale games and Life is Strange come to mind.

Lately, Sony have absolutely taken the Micky with this, with TLOU P1 - twice - and Horizon:ZD, which is just bonkers.

The latest news comes from EA, with the announcement that Dead Space, just the first game, not the trilogy, will cost an insane £70. That's British Pounds. Even at today's absolutely crappy exchange rate, that still works out at almost €80, or $78.

That's just the standard edition. I paid half of that for the whole trilogy of Mass Effect remasters, published by the same company.

In fact, I paid half of that for Spyro and Crash trilogy ground up remakes combined into one package, published by Activision; arguably the greediest studio of all time.

Then there have been the weird ones... Splinter Cell, a game that looked, played and sounded best on the Xbox, the games that showed off the hardware, games that were even exclusive for a short while, only got the remaster treatment on PlayStation.

What I'd like to know is, where do you stand on the line of remasters? What's your overall opinion if them? Do you think they are a good or a bad thing, or does it depend?

Let me know in the discussion below!

Last edited 10-08-2022 at 02:12 PM by C64 Mat.
I'm not against a remaster or a remake of an older game. I can be a good experience to play a favorite or loved game from an older console with modern graphics, etc.
I judge each remaster on its own. There are plenty of games I missed in the past, or games I loved that would be great to revisit but are almost unplayable by today's standards (Morrowind, you know who you are...).

But, one the same thought, there were plenty of games I saw the first time around and either tried them and said nope (Bioshock) or just didn't have any interest in them at all, so, a remaster/remake means nothing to me.

(I am over here following ever update on the Splinter Cell remake, that was an amazing game, but, has not aged gracefully)

Also, am I the only one that has trouble reading CB4 Mat's light blue font on grey background?
Also, am I the only one that has trouble reading CB4 Mat's light blue font on grey background?
Originally Posted by futiles
It is looks fin on my screen, so no trouble here.
I don't mind remakes/remasters in theory. I didn't care that it dominated the last Generation at the cost of creating new games and series. The only new original IP that came out of of this last Gen that I can think of was Re-Core & Ryse.

The $10 bump in price I think is also more of a cash grab, especially when they are pushing digital distribution. It should cost less digitally. They would sell more units this way. Also keep in mind how the big game releases have been going like Cyberpunk, Halo, and Battlefield. All were such complete train wreaks that it is just better to wait for the game to drop in price and it will in a matter of months. It's not like you don't have anything else to play while you wait it out.
It is looks fin on my screen, so no trouble here.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Mine as well. It may have something to do with me using "dark mode" but I don't know what others use.
Mine as well. It may have something to do with me using "dark mode" but I don't know what others use.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
I would assume it is a dark mode versus light mode. Because that light blue on grey is nearly invisible
Sorry about that @futiles ! Medium Turquoise / Cyan has been my go-to colour since the C64. Yes, I recommend dark mode. It's a much nicer scheme overall I think ^⁠_⁠^
I gave the benefit of the doubt initially.

As long as game developers are using remasters as an opportunity to hone development skills for the most up to date platforms, I have no issue with them putting teamsters up for sale.
I'd prefer if the game wasn't modern era. Like I shouldn't have a remake of a game that released <5 years ago...
I'd prefer if the game wasn't modern era. Like I shouldn't have a remake of a game that released <5 years ago...
Originally Posted by Dacoto
*cough* Sony *cough*
...I have no issue with them putting teamsters up for sale.
Originally Posted by Nod Nolan
I realize this was just a typing error on your part, but it struck me as a little bit amusing that game developers would put workers' unions up for sale.
I realize this was just a typing error on your part, but it struck me as a little bit amusing that game developers would put workers' unions up for sale.
Originally Posted by Dvader83
Big Grin

I immediately thought of Tropico. That rum isn't going to ship itself!
Even here I take it with some flexibility. Is it with a change of console generation, is/was backwards compatibility an option, is it a platform switch? All of these factor in, because while Sony and MS tend to have had the same basic controller layout for the entirety of their console existence, Nintendo has been slightly more chaotic... Some of those remakes really need to be remakes...
Even here I take it with some flexibility. Is it with a change of console generation, is/was backwards compatibility an option, is it a platform switch? All of these factor in, because while Sony and MS tend to have had the same basic controller layout for the entirety of their console existence, Nintendo has been slightly more chaotic... Some of those remakes really need to be remakes...
Originally Posted by futiles
These are some valid points. I'm more commenting on games that I have on my console that also have remakes on that same console. But, this also gets into the vernacular. The difference of Remaster vs Remake.

ME Trilogy --> Remaster. Unifying a game series was a good move. Eliminating content for a streamlined experience was smart.
Ezio Trilogy --> Remaster. Same as the ME Trilogy.

I don't mind a remaster if it cleans up games and "modernizes" them. Or, in the ME case, puts the games all in the same engine with the same controls so that everything is uniform. That was nice. But I still would like them to not release a game and then 3 years later do the RE version.

Remakes are a different bit as that usually is some sort of complete rework, a la Final Fantasy 7. I am not a fan of that particular one at all. Or this haute garbagé that is the GTA collection.

Lastly, I just ignore the big N because they have like 30 different versions of their games because they have 37 different input styles across their lifespan.
These are some valid points. I'm more commenting on games that I have on my console that also have remakes on that same console. But, this also gets into the vernacular. The difference of Remaster vs Remake.

ME Trilogy --> Remaster. Unifying a game series was a good move. Eliminating content for a streamlined experience was smart.
Ezio Trilogy --> Remaster. Same as the ME Trilogy.

I don't mind a remaster if it cleans up games and "modernizes" them. Or, in the ME case, puts the games all in the same engine with the same controls so that everything is uniform. That was nice. But I still would like them to not release a game and then 3 years later do the RE version.

Remakes are a different bit as that usually is some sort of complete rework, a la Final Fantasy 7. I am not a fan of that particular one at all. Or this haute garbagé that is the GTA collection.

Lastly, I just ignore the big N because they have like 30 different versions of their games because they have 37 different input styles across their lifespan.
That is fair about N. As you know, I am device/platform agnostic (I prefer the Xbox platform, and it far dominates my use), so, making something that I may have skipped, or really enjoyed but has aged poorly, or (to use a board game parlance) was in bad need of a reskin could potentially get my attention.

But, for every remake/remaster/rebox I am interested in, there are easily a dozen that just get passed by.
Also, there are TWO high water marks of how to do a remake and a remaster right:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (the remake of the ORIGINAL GAMEBOY game to the Switch) was/is/and will always be perfection. This is how you take a 26 year old game, and make it a superior current generation standard bearer. I NEED Nintendo to do this to the original The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past. They literally can have my money, I have it in the catapult ready to throw at them.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition is the perfect remaster. Clean it up. Bring all the story pieces together. Seamlessly flow from one story to the next. Cut away what is unneeded. Amazing.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account