Original Xbox Online Functionality Restored?

Gaming Chat

Found 9 posts - Go to Last Post

So this site called Insignia is stating that it is a free replacement for Microsoft's servers for the original Xbox console, allowing online functionality to be restored for the first time since 2010.

This is right from their website:

1) Online Multiplayer - Online Matchmaking functionality is restored for the original Xbox console, allowing you to play online with friends and strangers, just like back in the day!
2) Leaderboards - Complete in high scores and leaderboards for your favourite games, and see how you stack up against the rest of the world!
3) Free Forever - Insignia is completely free to use, and will always be free to use. No hidden costs, no subscriptions, no ads.

This is pretty interesting, can this same model eventually be used for Xbox 360 games?

I signed up to check it out.

(Fixed 2nd bullet point)
Last edited 10-26-2022 at 03:48 PM by MarvzMitts.
That's amazing! If they bring back the Chaos Theory co-op, I'm there!
The downside with any 360 game, that was when Microsoft allowed companies to pull parts or all of the online components off Microsoft's control. So, any game that looks external to MS and the servers are dead, is going to have additional issues. Flashing extra firmware/software to a console, to redirect how it talks online is one thing, adapting the code of each and every game is another.

Between the small user base, and the game selection, and then the potential that any level of software/firmware tweaks have on the overall health of a device, I wouldn't be interested.

There are the other concerns, like the fact that Insignia is already trademarked in the technology world. The fact that it is always free, forever, means it is either unsustainable or is being setup to sell (which means all promises are out the window).

I'm cynical, but, I have seen many things like this fail.
(Source for my concerns, I joined their Discord server - which had a lot more information - and read through their documentation and watched their how to video on YouTube, and then read through the support log. That was enough for me.)
(Source for my concerns, I joined their Discord server - which had a lot more information - and read through their documentation and watched their how to video on YouTube, and then read through the support log. That was enough for me.)
Originally Posted by futiles
You think they're going the WoW Classic route? Building up interest to then have it be taken over by the original owners?
bruh I just want Crimson Skies online multiplayer back Smile
bruh I just want Crimson Skies online multiplayer back Smile
Originally Posted by zoidberg1339
Here is the list of game they will be supporting.
Here is the list of game they will be supporting.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Crimson Skies *and* that goofy console version of Counter-Strike? Let's gooooo

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account