User Interfaces (UI) - Which games get it right/Wrong.

Gaming Chat

Found 8 posts - Go to Last Post

Call of Duty Modern Warfare II and the new Xbox Dash both have UI's that a vocal section of users don't like.

Which games do you think have got it right or wrong?
As far as UIs go, I prefer minimalistic or dynamic ones. From Software games get this largely right, I think - everything is there, but it's not split over 20 screens with submenus in each one.

My issue with the Xbox dashboard isn't the UI per se; it's the UX. It takes way to many button pressed to get to even the most basic information.

Achievement lists are a great example. If you're looking at a game on the store which you don't own, there isn't a simple link to an achievement page for that game. Instead you have to jump through hoops to see them. Even if you DO own them and select, say, a game from your library, you have to:
  • Highlight the game tile
  • Bring up the Game Card
  • Scroll to the "Official Club" icon from within the game card and select it, opening a new window
  • Tab across to "Progress"
  • Scroll to the achievement list

Why not just have the achievements page on the game card? Or on the store page, like they have with accessibility and features?
Steel Battalion had the single greatest UX of any game, ever.
Steel Battalion had the single greatest UX of any game, ever.
Originally Posted by futiles
I only ever saw the full setup in real life once. It was for sale, pre-owned, in a small independent gaming store. They didn't have it in the window - it was behind the counter, if I remember correctly. Can't remember the price either, but definitely over £200. It even still had the cardboard box, designed to look like a military crate.

I'd love to have a go in that thing, even if just to press the ejector button without pressing the open hatch button first Big Grin
I only ever saw the full setup in real life once. It was for sale, pre-owned, in a small independent gaming store. They didn't have it in the window - it was behind the counter, if I remember correctly. Can't remember the price either, but definitely over £200. It even still had the cardboard box, designed to look like a military crate.

I'd love to have a go in that thing, even if just to press the ejector button without pressing the open hatch button first Big Grin
Originally Posted by C64 Mat
I owned it. And if it had not drowned in Hurricane Katrina, I would still have it. By far the best UX ever.

Perma-death
If you wasted to many mechs you were basically fired.
But, so ridiculously amazing.

I remember failing the start up sequence, and just be sitting there, waiting for it to cool down to try again.
Forgetting to eject, and learning that when you die, you die...

And that was back in that days of 32" CRTs being the end all of video screens.

Man, I would love to have a go at it with my 82" screen (especially since you could do 720p/1080i out of of the OG Xbox via component), it wouldn't be 4K, but, it would be spectacular...
Most fun UI in a game for me has to be Dead Space. It made the experience more immersive. It's on the suit for those that have not played the game.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/4800/1*hZOYIEinIkALWjbAEUoKUA.jpeg[/IMG]
Most fun UI in a game for me has to be Dead Space. It made the experience more immersive. It's on the suit for those that have not played the game.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/4800/1*hZOYIEinIkALWjbAEUoKUA.jpeg[/IMG]
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
The image link is showing up as the URL and can't be clicked on to view the image.
The image link is showing up as the URL and can't be clicked on to view the image.
Originally Posted by Dvader83
Yeah, I noticed it when I made the post. Figured it would work itself out. Something under the hood might not be working correctly.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account