Found 12 posts - Go to Last Post

Favorite Sci-Fi movie from 1982?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 11 (35.48%) Blade Runner

× 10 (32.26%) Tron

× 10 (32.26%) The Thing

• Added 12-01-2022 06:20 AM
  • 31 votes
Fun fact: Blade Runner & The Thing released on the same day. (Tron was a few weeks later.)

…I realize I posted this in “gaming chat”, my mistake
Last edited 12-01-2022 at 06:23 AM by zoid.
Fun fact: Blade Runner & The Thing released on the same day. (Tron was a few weeks later.)

…I realize I posted this in “gaming chat”, my mistake
Originally Posted by zoidberg1339
What an oddly specific poll Big Grin

Tron I couldn't care less about. Even the stunningly handsome woman that is Olivia Wilde riding the lightcycle couldn't tempt me to the sequel.

I love the thing, and it's obviously a sci-fi film, but it's body horror first and foremost, so for me it has to go to the timeless classic that is Blade Runner.
Blade Runner can blow it out my ass... I admit, my love for the base story basically destroyed any chance of me liking the movie. Usually I take books and movies as separate things, and judge them on their own, but, it is literally one of my 5 favorite stories. So, it can burn in hell...

Tron and Thing are cool, though. As a kid, Tron. As an adult, The Thing.
I think my exquisitely photoshopped avatar gives away my selection for this poll.
I think my exquisitely photoshopped avatar gives away my selection for this poll.
Originally Posted by Dacoto
I have never noticed the Tron pants on your avatar before this... I feel blind.
I have never noticed the Tron pants on your avatar before this... I feel blind.
Originally Posted by futiles
To be fair, I have never noticed them, either, but then again, it's not like they're of a size where the details on them can be easily picked out.
It's not just the pants. The whole outfit is based from the outfits of Tron: Legacy. The pants are just more noticeable.
Thread moved into Entertainment.

It's The Thing for me. I have to admit that I have not really seen Tron in it's entirety and I am a big Jeff Bridges fan. There is something about Blade Runner that just doesn't do anything for me. Some movies you need to be there at the inception. Blade Runner didn't compel me to go to the theater, so I saw it many years later. I have since watched it multiple times, I have watched the director's cut. I have tried many times but it is still an eh movie to me. It could be that I just enjoyed Ford in Star Wars to much and just wanted that instead.

Now The Thing was and is still fantastic! I see it as sci-fi first since it is based on the 1950s film. It's the practical effects that give it the horror slant.
Thread moved into Entertainment.

It's The Thing for me. I have to admit that I have not really seen Tron in it's entirety and I am a big Jeff Bridges fan. There is something about Blade Runner that just doesn't do anything for me. Some movies you need to be there at the inception. Blade Runner didn't compel me to go to the theater, so I saw it many years later. I have since watched it multiple times, I have watched the director's cut. I have tried many times but it is still an eh movie to me. It could be that I just enjoyed Ford in Star Wars to much and just wanted that instead.

Now The Thing was and is still fantastic! I see it as sci-fi first since it is based on the 1950s film. It's the practical effects that give it the horror slant.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Or it could be that Ridley Scott took an excellent Science Fiction story, hacked out all the interesting and thought provoking pieces, changed the title to "Blade Runner" and produced an epic piece of shit..

Either or.
Or it could be that Ridley Scott took an excellent Science Fiction story, hacked out all the interesting and thought provoking pieces, changed the title to "Blade Runner" and produced an epic piece of shit..

Either or.
That can certainly be true as well. Do I even dare to ask if you watched the sequel? I have not seen it myself.
That can certainly be true as well. Do I even dare to ask if you watched the sequel? I have not seen it myself.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Not much of a Ryan Gosling fan, and obviously not much of a fan of the original, so, no, I have not watched it. I have not actively avoided it or anything, but, I honestly kind of forgot it existed until you asked.

Either or.
It's good that people have different tastes. For me, the Final Cut is one of my absolute favourite films. I absolutely love The Thing too. But I found Tron really boring.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account