Do you think we need generation exclusive games?

Xbox One / Series X|S

Found 9 posts - Go to Last Post

Do we urgently need more generation-exclusive games?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 3 (15.00%) YES! Every new game should focus on a full Gen9 release only.

× 8 (40.00%) Yes! Even if released on Gen8, Gen9 should be the priority.

× 5 (25.00%) I don't mind, a game's a game.

× 3 (15.00%) Not really. Sure, do an enhanced version, but it's not important.

× 1 (5.00%) NO, the new gen is crap. Let's just stay on Xbox One.

• Added 10-15-2022 09:35 AM
  • 20 votes
It's time for a new poll! Today, it's about the screw up (in my opinion) regarding the launch of the current generation of consoles.

Yes, global pandemic, supply chains, etc. etc. That's already taken into account. But specifically, we're talking about games here.

Regardless of what Microsoft said at the time, this is a new generation, and EVERY new console generation needs its showcase games to sell it.

Within the launch window of a new console - say, the first year, but definitely something on day one - there needs to be a collection of games which entice you in. I'm not talking about smart delivery versions of games with a slightly higher resolution or framerate, and I'm definitely not talking about the Sometimes You games which could run on a 386.

I mean proper, next gen only games
which ONLY release on new machines. We've had The Medium and Scorn, but most other games - even Cyberpunk 2077 and Halo Infinite - have had Xbox One versions.

We need, I believe, an influx of generation exclusive games. Things which push the envelope, like we've had every generation. DOOM wasn't possible on the C64. Tomb Raider couldn't have been made on the Mega Drive. Jak and Daxter couldn't have been done on the PS1. Kameo couldn't have been made on the OG Xbox.

That's how I feel. How do you feel?

For me, the faster load times, smoother visuals, upgraded graphics, etc are worth it. There were plenty of games to play that I had not yet, but, bringing the game console up to specs with the rest of my setup was all I needed.
I barely even use my Series X console as my One (Day One Edition) still works marvelously. So far I've only really used the Series X for double boxing and to play Valhalla. As virtually no games seem to be made just for this console (certainly none that I've felt the need to purchase thus far) I've had no real need to use it. Which makes it mostly just a brick on my TV stand. Bring on the Gen 9 games.
I barely even use my Series X console as my One (Day One Edition) still works marvelously. So far I've only really used the Series X for double boxing and to play Valhalla. As virtually no games seem to be made just for this console (certainly none that I've felt the need to purchase thus far) I've had no real need to use it. Which makes it mostly just a brick on my TV stand. Bring on the Gen 9 games.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
Man, the super slow speed of the X1X drives compared to the XSX made me hate having to go back to the old consoles. It was super noticeable with some of the MP games, when 2 of us were on XSX and 2 were on X1X
I love my Series X. I love my Scorpio too, but the series X is amazing. Quick resume (for single player games) has brought me to the next step of laziness Lol

The SSD is super fast, FPS boost, Auto HDR... I just want some proper games!
Last edited 10-16-2022 at 02:02 PM by C64 Mat.
Man, the super slow speed of the X1X drives compared to the XSX made me hate having to go back to the old consoles. It was super noticeable with some of the MP games, when 2 of us were on XSX and 2 were on X1X
Originally Posted by futiles
But that's just it, it's not that I'm "going back" to the old console as I've never really left it. Admittedly, I don't do the MP games much (primarily just when boosting) so that might be why I don't notice much of a change when using it to play Valhalla or boost with myself. I do admit that Valhalla appears to have a visual difference when I play when compared to other games, but as I haven't played the game on the One, I'm not sure if that's the console or the game itself.
But that's just it, it's not that I'm "going back" to the old console as I've never really left it. Admittedly, I don't do the MP games much (primarily just when boosting) so that might be why I don't notice much of a change when using it to play Valhalla or boost with myself. I do admit that Valhalla appears to have a visual difference when I play when compared to other games, but as I haven't played the game on the One, I'm not sure if that's the console or the game itself.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
The Anvil Next engine is so good, the last three AC games look amazing regardless.
I like when games have separate TITLEIDs for Xbox One and Xbox Series. with their respective achievements and improvements in the last generation
I don’t particularly care as long as the Gen 9 version isn’t lower quality in the name of keeping it Gen 8 compatible. Not that I’m saying that’s happening anywhere but that’s the only scenario where I’d care.

From the developers’ standpoint though, if this were any other generation, it seems like it would really be shooting yourself in the foot to keep focusing on previous-gen compatibility. But I have no idea what the logistics look like this generation in terms of how many people actually have the newest consoles to play the games. This might be the one time where you’d be limiting your customer base too much for it to make sense to only release for current gen.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account