Windows Phone 8.1 to receive a raft of new goodies in it's first update

Windows Phone

Found 20 posts - Go to Last Post

Windows Phone 8.1 is currently rolling out across the world, bringing with it a ton of improvements the OS desperately needed to reach feature parity with its un-nameable competition. The code base will become even more unified for developers, allowing developers to port Windows Phone apps to Windows and Xbox with minimal effort. Consumer's will enjoy various quality of life improvements, including an action centre, a Halo inspired Siri-like personal assistant on steroids, and beautiful transparent tiles, allowing for some incredible customisation.

Not content, Microsoft are preparing Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1 (or Update 1), which will bring #Winphans even more features to make those heathenous detractors jelly.

You can check availability for Windows Phone 8.1 (accompanied by the Lumia Cyan firmware update) by clicking here.

Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 will bring Cortana to new markets

China will receive a localized edition of Cortana to be dubbed Huna. Additionally, the UK will receive a version of Cortana sporting a more appropriate accent for Her Majesties subjects (I have a hunch it won't be a Northern accent however).

The Chinese version of Cortana will feature alternative characterisation, as can be seen above, as well as providing more transparent controls over privacy, as well as all the expected features.

The UK version of Cortana will have CORRECT spellings, such as 'armour', 'colour', and more liberal use of the letter z (pronounced ZED by the way...). Cortana will also have a tweaked personality for the UK market, so expect cynicism, sarcasm and chronic alcoholism. Basically Red Dwarf's A.I. Holly, I'm hoping. In-fact, she should probably just be Holly.

Canada, India and Australia will receive an alpha mode Cortana, which will likely bring similar functionality as switching your region to America currently does for preview users.

Microsoft have been hiring for a massive international expansion for Bing products, so I expect Cortana to be fully fleshed out across the world in the coming months.

Improvements to Internet Explorer

Update 1 will also bring much needed improvements to users web browsing experience. One notable example is the inability to view pictures on the Twitter mobile site. Despite IE's market share, many web devs create sites using the code base used in Safari and Chrome, known as webkit, this results in anomalies for certain sites that only use webkit CSS extensions.

Live app folders

Windows Phone users already enjoy some third party solutions for creating app folders, including Nokia's own app folders, Microsoft have taken the concept a step further. Live app folders will behave like live tiles, preventing you from missing live tile updates, additionally, the functionality appears to display folder labels in some way as detailed in the picture posted on the Windows Phone Blog. Whether these folders open up into a list, or open up directly onto the start screen with a label remains to be seen.

More improvements to Xbox Music

Xbox Music on Windows Phone has been the subject of considerable controversy. The app launched with the dev preview, separated from the core OS - as a result, much functionality was lost, and becoming independent of the OS resulted in some lost speed and fluidity.

The team recently discussed the future of the app with WPCentral, and I recommend checking it out - the mentality behind separating it from the OS means that updates can be more frequent, and long term plans (such as the long rumoured OneDrive music locker feature) can be implemented without a costly and complicated OS update.

Some of the Xbox Music functionality has migrated back to the OS, bringing with it improved stability, and a return of the awesome live tile. The app will also become available for the kids corner app screen.

Other miscellaneous improvements

Including a live store tile, showing deals and featured apps, similar to what's currently available on Windows 8. Better SMS management, including merging and forwarding. Vendors will be able to put the phone into an app sandbox state, for store display purposes. There will also be security enhancements, as well as VPN support.

These improvements are a tad beefier than previous interim updates, and will hopefully signal a future of more rapid updates in Satya's "mobile first" Microsoft.

Update 1 will become available to Developer Preview users as early as next week, with a general roll out coming before the end of the summer.

Source: Windows Phone Blog

Live folder great feature, IE is very speed :-)
some people, depending on which phone you have, already have the update. im still waiting on lumia to get the update. I want that cortana!!
I finally got the Lumia 920 update today. Had a pre-update patch, then the 8.1. Looks like no Cortana here yet though for some reason.
I finally got the Lumia 920 update today. Had a pre-update patch, then the 8.1. Looks like no Cortana here yet though for some reason.
Originally Posted by Buckswana
gay, that's all want is cortana...
I'm in Canada. It's in the one for the US, and some people have switched regions to get it. I'll just wait for now, not too worried about it.
Looks like Verizon is screwing me out of the update for my Lumia 928
Originally Posted by Cer3bra1Asassin
Me too! It's simply a ploy to get me to buy a new phone or renew my contract!
why what happened?!
Cyan update is great
I liked it back when you could log in to Zune and force the update....i have Sprint and may never get it
I've been trying to be patient while waiting for the update.. Are they not going to update the 928?!
Mr. pTart has a Lumia 928 through Verizon and has Cortona.... He was a beta user of 8.1
I just heard a bunch of Verizon employee's saying and telling people that Verizon wasn't gonna roll out the update as its up to them since the 928 is a Verizon phone. have a look on the nokia discussion boards, plenty of talk about it.. At this point, its all talk so you never know
Cortana is part of WP8.1 and available via the Preview for Developers.
Cortana is part of WP8.1 and available via the Preview for Developers.
Originally Posted by QuiCkz Ninja
Yes, that's what Mr. pTart did. He has Cortona. And let me tell you, if it's the same as on his phone, you guys arn't missing out on much. It's still quite glitchy and has a lot of bugs. Maybe thats why it's not on all the updates?
New update is out :-) fixing bugs
I still didn't get the update for my lumia icon... pretty bummed...
I still didn't get the update for my lumia icon... pretty bummed...
Originally Posted by Preludecris
In the same boat awaiting my Nokia Lumia 928 from Verizon update. I've realized it probably won't happen.
In the same boat awaiting my Nokia Lumia 928 from Verizon update. I've realized it probably won't happen.
Originally Posted by roce96
is the 928 the same as the icon. I never really paid attention to the models of the phone. or is the icon the newer version of that? technically the 929?
is the 928 the same as the icon. I never really paid attention to the models of the phone. or is the icon the newer version of that? technically the 929?
Originally Posted by Preludecris
Yeah the Icon looks to be the next variation for the phone. My upgrade isn't until next year so I haven't really been looking too much at new products. Haven't had any problems so I live by if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account