Found 12 posts - Go to Last Post

I was just wondering if anyone could provide a good recommendation. Looking for a Windows Phone, specifically just to play games via WiFi (no contract, not use as a cell phone, etc). Thanks in advance!
I've been rolling with the same 928 for what seems like forever, and I when I upgrade I'm getting what QN said. The 950 is the way to go, and if you want the best processor you need to get the XL. Normally I got smaller screens so I wasn't going to get the XL, but there is a processor difference so I have to get the bigger screen. Depends on your needs, but it's gotta be the 950 or 950XL.
Also depends on what you want to drop on it, too.

You could go to Target, grab a Lumia 640 for $50, get the Win10 upgrade soon, and be happy for a while.

If you want to go top dog, then, I fucking love my Lumia 950 XL. LOVE
I would stress that you should buy a WP phone with 1 GB ram. Some of the old Nokia phones such as the 520 (which I own) only have 512 mb of ram. Some games require 1 gb of ram to play.

I also have a samsung focus SGH-917 which is windows 7 only. If you could find one of those cheap (under 20$) I would consider that since there's still a lot of windows 7 games available.

To make this easiest I would just go with the nokia's noted above. Target seems to be dumping these nokia phones on the market at low low prices. (I bought my nokia 520 at target for $50 a while back)
Also depends on what you want to drop on it, too.
Originally Posted by futiles
Yeah, very true...that 950XL is a bit steep at the moment.
Yeah, very true...that 950XL is a bit steep at the moment.
Originally Posted by DomeJohnny
Actually, we have a Nokia Lumia 640 and a Microsoft Lumia 640, and they appear to be the exact same stats, except screen size. The Nokia branded is like a 4.7" or 4.9" while the Microsoft branded is a 5.2"

I go back to recommended the 640 straight up to you then. It is an 8.1 device, it is getting a Win10 update (at some point), and can be yours for $50 no questions asked at Target or Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-gop...&skuId=9231014

It's got the 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, a MicroSD slot supporting 32 or 64GB to install on, it should cover all yours needs for a while.
Actually, we have a Nokia Lumia 640 and a Microsoft Lumia 640, and they appear to be the exact same stats, except screen size. The Nokia branded is like a 4.7" or 4.9" while the Microsoft branded is a 5.2"
950 XL:
Qualcomm Snapdragon 810
Octa-core 2.0GHz

640 or 640 XL:
Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
Quad core 1200 MHz

Not even close. Literally not even half as good (half the cores and 40% slower). Futiles just missed the part about if you want your phone to actually kick ass or have it run 10 like shit. It's fine if you have AT&T and are on a budget. If you can afford the 950 get that and I highly recommend saving for the XL.

500 & 600s are budget crap made for China, don't be fooled.
700 & 800s are old or budget stuff made for rest of world
900s are where we are, generally gotta look at the last two digits, mostly different versions for carriers
Anything four digits is a phablet, except the 1020 which was at the time the best camera you could get in a phone and still is very competitive.

1020,920,925,928,Icon were all the top Win8 or 8.1 devices, but the chipset is old and slower. If you want cheap these are still better than anything new in the 600s.
950 XL:
Qualcomm Snapdragon 810
Octa-core 2.0GHz

640 or 640 XL:
Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
Quad core 1200 MHz

Not even close. Literally not even half as good (half the cores and 40% slower). Futiles just missed the part about if you want your phone to actually kick ass or have it run 10 like shit. It's fine if you have AT&T and are on a budget. If you can afford the 950 get that and I highly recommend saving for the XL.

500 & 600s are budget crap made for China, don't be fooled.
700 & 800s are old or budget stuff made for rest of world
900s are where we are, generally gotta look at the last two digits, mostly different versions for carriers
Anything four digits is a phablet, except the 1020 which was at the time the best camera you could get in a phone and still is very competitive.

1020,920,925,928,Icon were all the top Win8 or 8.1 devices, but the chipset is old and slower. If you want cheap these are still better than anything new in the 600s.
Originally Posted by Kaens
No, you misread my post. The Nokia branded 640 and the Microsoft branded 640. That was the comparison. Not comparing any old phone to a brand new phone. Yes, I also have TWO 950 XLs.

So, go back, read my post, I never mention the 950 or 950 XL in that post. BUT when Microsoft took over and killed the Nokia brand on the Lumia, they also up sized the screen, but left it as A LUMIA 640, and also made a 640 XL.

And you missed the part where he said NO CELLULAR SERVICE, wifi only. So, carrier doesn't mean shit to him, but, AT&T phones do have the best selection of WP, so...

And Specifically to play games, nothing else.

So, yes, I stand by my 640 recommendation to Dome Johnny based on his specific query.

Now, ask me about what I think is the BEST Windows Mobile device, in general, and you will get a very different answer. But, I answered the question asked.
No, you misread my post. The Nokia branded 640 and the Microsoft branded 640. That was the comparison. Not comparing any old phone to a brand new phone. Yes, I also have TWO 950 XLs.
Yup I sure did, I apologize, that's what I get for posting right before bed after a long day of gaming.

And you missed the part where he said NO CELLULAR SERVICE, wifi only. So, carrier doesn't mean shit to him, but, AT&T phones do have the best selection of WP, so...
I didn't miss that part, I don't see why you think I did. Because I said "It's fine if you have AT&T and are on a budget."? That, like everything in my post after the processor stats, was general advice on windows phones.

So, yes, I stand by my 640 recommendation to Dome Johnny based on his specific query.

Now, ask me about what I think is the BEST Windows Mobile device, in general, and you will get a very different answer. But, I answered the question asked.
And I stand by my assessment that you are wrong, regardless of how many Windows phones you own. The 640 is a budget piece of shit that should never be recommended to anyone. When it has 10 on it, it will run even slower and any new games they are excited to play will run like shit.

@Dome - if you cannot afford a 950, or better yet 950 XL, then buy an Icon.

Icon:
Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800
Quad core 2200 MHz

640 or 640 XL:
Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
Quad core 1200 MHz
Last edited 01-31-2016 at 04:20 PM by Kaens.
My 1520 bit the bullet and I had to go back to 1020. I could not stand the small screen, so I ended up with 640 XL, which meets all my needs and was very cheap to any other phone that size, on any OS.
My 1520 bit the bullet and I had to go back to 1020. I could not stand the small screen, so I ended up with 640 XL, which meets all my needs and was very cheap to any other phone that size, on any OS.
Originally Posted by LordChabelo13
Thankfully going from the 1520 to the 950 XL was not too painful. I really do like the 6" screen, but, 5.7" is fine.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account