NFL Football discussion (2014/2015 season)

Sports

We're getting closer to the start of football season. I guess technically you could say it's already started but pre-season football isn't much fun to watch so in my book, it hasn't started yet.

As luck would have it, I landed some tickets to the home opener vs the Browns. Club seating, which is pretty sweet. I'm not overly optimistic about the upcoming season since there were so many personnel changes in the off season but it's certainly not hopeless. Time will tell, I guess.

At any rate, I'm ready to get this season started...bring on dem Brownies!

Go Skins! We'll suck same as we have for 20+ years now but that's my team.
Dolphins... Surely they're going to be better...
Dolphins... Surely they're going to be better...
Originally Posted by Fshguy
I wouldn't be so sure, the floor can still fall out from underneath them. I expect another mediocre, maybe even sub-mediocre, season from my Dolphins.

I miss the Jay Fiedler era...
I wouldn't be so sure, the floor can still fall out from underneath them. I expect another mediocre, maybe even sub-mediocre, season from my Dolphins.

I miss the Jay Fiedler era...
Originally Posted by LordChabelo13
Those were exciting, too bad they didn't have just a little more edge. Have to be optimistic, everybody starts out at 0-0.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Yay!Someone else who can suffer through another season with me, while Snyder figures out more ways to make the team less competitive.
I am pulling for my Colts as usual. Andrew Luck has been impressive over the first couple years, so I expect him to keep stepping it up. I personally wish the Colts would've kept Manning so Luck could've studied under him, but I understand their business move. Peyton is still a beast and the Broncos are better for having him.

Love me some football!

Anyone doing Fantasy Football? Should we start a GTN Fantasy Football League?
The Packers should be a force to reckon with again as long as we can stay healthy, which has hurt us the past couple years. Think they have a great chance to go far if Rodgers and Lacy can play all season.
I'm also looking forward to Pro-Football Mock starting back up. I look forward to the QB facebook conversations every week, like this gem....

NFL Quarterbacks on Facebook: How I spent my summer
The Packers should be a force to reckon with again as long as we can stay healthy, which has hurt us the past couple years. Think they have a great chance to go far if Rodgers and Lacy can play all season.
Originally Posted by Elem3ntal80
MY BROTHER!!! *internet high five*

Go Packers!!!
I heard your team doesn't have a website, since in order to have a website you first have to have 3 W's
Jets....yeah, I love them, but I won't fool myself into thinking they'll do anything good...
Originally Posted by Kaens
Well Are there going to b a Redskins? I thought they had to change their name for PR...lol..

Only ONE NATION HERE, THE RAIDER NATION! Goes along with the GAMER TAG NATION.....sweet!
Well Are there going to b a Redskins? I thought they had to change their name for PR...lol..

Only ONE NATION HERE, THE RAIDER NATION! Goes along with the GAMER TAG NATION.....sweet!
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Are you comparing GTN to a poorly run organization that hasn't been able to even get out of its own way for over a decade, while just making front office mistake after front office mistake, all while being run by a glory hungry maniac, giving relief to the fan base only through his death?

DAMN!!!

You are harsh.
Are you comparing GTN to a poorly run organization that hasn't been able to even get out of its own way for over a decade, while just making front office mistake after front office mistake, all while being run by a glory hungry maniac, giving relief to the fan base only through his death?

DAMN!!!

You are harsh.
Originally Posted by futiles
And how many Super Bowel wins..or even championship appearances do the Saints have???
And how many Super Bowel wins..or even championship appearances do the Saints have???
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
1 more this decade than the Raiders.

And you cannot argue against my statement. The Raiders, since the Superbowl loss to Tampa Bay, have the worse Win-Loss record, worst contract decisions, worst draft picks, and worst coaching continuity than any of the other 32 teams. (I actually like the Raiders, but, that doesn't make the past decade any better.)

Did you know that the Raiders actually had an effective salary cap of under $65 Million the last few years, when every other team was in the $120+ Million area? Do you know why? Because of contracts with signing bonuses spread across 3-5 years of players they cut after 1 or 2. The dead money on 2012 was actually more than the active money. That is BAD front office, and a front office that started and stopped with Al Davis means he was to blame. Any owner that has a hotline to the Coordinators, and can override the head coaches decisions is a bad situation.

Now, my statement was tongue-in-cheek, because you compared the site to the Raiders, but have you ever watched your team win a Super Bowl, or are those titles just in the narrative you inherited?

I grew up watching my team suck, live and in person for decades. Now they are good, and I love it. We used to be the team that lived on everyone's castaways. I had a New Orleans Saints Ken Stabler jersey, and people were convinced that somehow a worn out QB was going to be the salvation. We had TWO Billy Joes' playing QB at the same time, and we really thought that giving 1.5 drafts (not picks, drafts, all 7 picks one year and 3 the next) to Washington for the opportunity to ruin Ricky WIlliams was the one piece keeping us from a Super Bowl. I know what awful looks like. I am a certified shitfootballologist, and for the past decade, that IS the Raiders.

Good news:

Al Davis is gone.
Your head coach is actually being given time to get a team together
I think you have less than $15M in dead cap money (Meaning you have more cap available than Dallas or Washington, and could spend about what the Chiefs are spending - THAT'S HUGE!)
You division is decent, but your conference is currently the softer of the two (it's cyclical, the AFC will be strong again in a couple of years, and spend 3-6 on top), and it is always good to be a recovering team in the softer conference (Would be nicer to be in the AFC East, where it is Patriots and garbage, but, you can't make that choice)
Your Division provided THREE of the six playoff spots! (HALF!) So, you figure out a way to trade places with San Diego, and you are golden.

Now, feel free to throw some trash talk back, but comparing the 70s Raiders to the 10's Saints is silly. It kind of makes you sound like a Dolphins fan, and as it is, I already sent a Dolphins' fan Saints booties for his kid. (Love you Fryhole!)
Ouch, futiles bringing in the TL;DR attack!

Well hey at least in 2 years the Raiders will have a new stadium...in a new city.
Now, my statement was tongue-in-cheek, because you compared the site to the Raiders, but have you ever watched your team win a Super Bowl, or are those titles just in the narrative you inherited?
Originally Posted by futiles
I watched Marcus Allen tear my team up in 1984 Frown We were 14-2 and defending Super Bowl champs that year and it was crushing to me. Fortunately I got over it in 1987 and 1991 :hugegrin:

I do wish for my kids they could see the Skins do well, but my wife who is life long Steelers fan is successfully stealing their hearts from my grasp! People like winners.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account