I'm buying one of these today, I'd like some opinions (So, a poll...)

Tech & Electronics

Found 34 posts - Go to Last Post

Which TV would you get if you were futiles?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 35 (53.85%) LG 79" 79UF7700

× 30 (46.15%) Vizio 80" M80-C3

• Added 08-27-2015 01:30 PM
  • 65 votes
  • Votes are public
4 3" Lag bolts into 2 studs. The house will come down before the TV or mount does.
Originally Posted by futiles
Don't forget pilot holes!
Gets delivered Saturday. Entertainment furniture delivered today. Mount goes up tomorrow, then get the boxes in the wall, cables fished, wall plates finished, cables into cable management arm, and components on the shelves by Saturday morning.

Should be ready to watch a game, or a 4K film, or play a game by Saturday night.
Gets delivered Saturday. Entertainment furniture delivered today. Mount goes up tomorrow, then get the boxes in the wall, cables fished, wall plates finished, cables into cable management arm, and components on the shelves by Saturday morning.

Should be ready to watch a game, or a 4K film, or play a game by Saturday night.
Sweet, we will need to see a pic of this monster once its all set up.

TV is on the wall, and most cabling is done, however, the TV and the SONOS need longer power cords, and more than 6' of a 2-slot polarized or non-polarized AC power cord is difficult to find local. Both being delivered this week.

Showing off some 4K Content, this was either Netflix or Ultraflix, I don't remember, and was just 4K Show Off content, like you would see in the store.

For scale, setup as seen from the kitchen. Couch is a good 10-12' from the TV.
Last edited 09-05-2015 at 10:14 PM by futiles.
File Type: jpg
I still need to find the PS3 and Wii U, in a box somewhere. Xbox 360, Xbox One, DirecTV STB, PS4, and Wii are all connected and working.
That looks pretty stellar. Have you given any consideration to a thorough calibration now that you're set up? There are people you can hire to handle the process for you, but it's doable on your own, too. I'm sure you'd be capable enough to handle it if you go that route.
That looks pretty stellar. Have you given any consideration to a thorough calibration now that you're set up? There are people you can hire to handle the process for you, but it's doable on your own, too. I'm sure you'd be capable enough to handle it if you go that route.
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
I some calibration disk when I bought my projector. It came with some red/blue things to look through, man I forget where that thing went. Anyhow, it was recommendation from the people at AVS forums and looked great. I bet there is less calibration needed for a 4K tv because when I looked at these tvs there was no contrast ratio, but I did see something saying it was like 40M:1 (my best tv only having 4M:1). What I'm saying it, his TV can do it all!

I was worried about the viewing distance actually, but sounds about perfect. First time I bought a 60" I only had about 6-7' to the couch and if you watch a single movie you'd have a headache. I personally think 1.5 - 2x is perfect, tv still feels big but far enough to not have problems. So for 80" I'd want to be 120-160" away, or 10 feet. Exactly where futiles has it. Looks good!
So, I am one of those people that can calibrate. I have multiple calibration discs, as well as Red, Blue, and Green glasses for the calibrations. But, you are 100% right, it will be done, but not until I have everything settled, including curtains or whatever on the windows. No point in calibrating before getting lighting right.

TV viewing distance actually has an equation, based on how far away before your eyes can see the pixelation on the screen (which is what causes the headaches Kaens mentions). On 1st gen HD, you wanted 3x the diagonal, so, for 80" you need to be a minimum of 240" - or 20 feet. When 1080p came out, the doubling of the resolution actually allowed you to cut viewing distance in half, so, 80" TV needed a viewing distance of 120" or 10'. 4K effectively cuts it in half again, so, 80" needs a viewing distance of 60" or 5'. Now, I like to be a little further back, anyway, but, I also knew I wanted the most TV for my money/space/wall.
Looks great. The side cabinets makes it seem a little smaller then 80". It's a nice set up non the less.
Looks great. The side cabinets makes it seem a little smaller then 80". It's a nice set up non the less.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Only because it doesn't have scale. That furniture is over 11' wide. When you see it in person, it is pretty spectacular. Thought about posting a picture with me in it for scale.
Only because it doesn't have scale. That furniture is over 11' wide. When you see it in person, it is pretty spectacular. Thought about posting a picture with me in it for scale.
That's probably what is missing to show the size of the screen.
That won't help people that don't already know you're a giant. Maybe get some standard objects, like a yardstick or lawn chair.
That won't help people that don't already know you're a giant. Maybe get some standard objects, like a yardstick or lawn chair.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
The TV is almost as wide as my wingspan. 72" vs 77"

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account