In which era did you really start getting into computer games?

General Chat

Found 7 posts - Go to Last Post

When did you start to really get into gaming?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 5 (20.00%) The early days: Atari 2600, Apple II

× 8 (32.00%) The 8-bit era: C64, Spectrum, NES, Master System

× 5 (20.00%) The 16-bit era: Amiga, 486, Atari ST, SNES, Megadrive

× 2 (8.00%) The modern era: Pentium, PlayStation, Saturn, N64

× 0 (0%) The next generation: PS2, Xbox

× 1 (4.00%) Post-modern era: Xbox 360, PS3, Steam

× 4 (16.00%) The 8th Generation: Xbox One, PS4, GOG, Epic, Tablets, Phones

• Added 09-11-2022 01:07 PM
  • 25 votes
Gaming Eras can be quantified in a few different ways, for example the "bit" measure, or the "generation" measure.

For this poll, I've used a combination of various factors to ask a very straightforward question: When did you first get into gaming as a proper hobby?

For me, it was around 1987/1988, when all my friends had 8-bit computers and a handful had 8-bit consoles. As you all know, my home computer of choice was - and largely still is - the Commodore 64. Even when my friends moved on to Amiga, Megadrive and Super Nintendo, I still loved my C64. I still do.

What was it for you? Can you remember your first gaming experience, or the first time you got a system at home? We're all different ages and generations here, and I'm interested in where we all started Smile
Last edited 09-11-2022 at 01:08 PM by C64 Mat.
We had some version of an Atari when I was a little kid (Kindergarten or before) but the first console that I had any regular play time on was our NES. In fact that was the first console that I bought my very first game for: TMNT (I used birthday or Christmas money to buy it). I never did finish that game thanks to the brutal water level Lol
With that said, the first console I ever bought for myself was the SNES, which I bought with my very first paycheck from my very first real job in high school.
We had some version of an Atari when I was a little kid (Kindergarten or before) but the first console that I had any regular play time on was our NES. In fact that was the first console that I bought my very first game for: TMNT (I used birthday or Christmas money to buy it). I never did finish that game thanks to the brutal water level Lol
With that said, the first console I ever bought for myself was the SNES, which I bought with my very first paycheck from my very first real job in high school.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
Is the water level where you're diffusing the bombs? Hated that! Looking forward to it on the Cowabunga collection ^⁠_⁠^
My first introduction to gaming was in Kindergarten when a boy in my class at school who lived a couple of houses down the street had an NES, so I went over to play Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt.

However, I started to get into gaming more seriously a few years later when I did random jobs to earn money to buy an N64.
Is the water level where you're diffusing the bombs? Hated that! Looking forward to it on the Cowabunga collection ^⁠_⁠^
Originally Posted by C64 Mat
Yes, that's the one. The level that started my hate for water based levels/puzzles lol. Many of The Legend of Zelda water temples were dumb and frustrating as well lol.
Gaming Eras can be quantified in a few different ways, for example the "bit" measure, or the "generation" measure.

For this poll, I've used a combination of various factors to ask a very straightforward question: When did you first get into gaming as a proper hobby?

For me, it was around 1987/1988, when all my friends had 8-bit computers and a handful had 8-bit consoles. As you all know, my home computer of choice was - and largely still is - the Commodore 64. Even when my friends moved on to Amiga, Megadrive and Super Nintendo, I still loved my C64. I still do.

What was it for you? Can you remember your first gaming experience, or the first time you got a system at home? We're all different ages and generations here, and I'm interested in where we all started Smile
Originally Posted by C64 Mat
Would Arcade cabinets fall into this as a choice? That is where I started, feeding quarters into games like Space Invaders, Pacman, & Dragon's Lair. I only owned the Commodore 64 for many years as consoles were released. My cousins had the consoles all down the line. I played at their houses all the way to the Original Xbox. I bought the 1st Halo game because of my cousins before I bought the console. 1st console I bought was the PS2 (Gasp!) for GTA III. After Halo, it was Xbox all the way.
SNES, my first console!. Not long after I had the original Gameboy for a short period of time. Saved up for the Sega Nomad, anyone remember those? Still have that one.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account