XBox One shuts off after 5 minutes of gameplay

Xbox One / Series X|S

Found 22 posts - Go to Last Post

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I can go on the console and do pretty much anything and it'll work fine for as much time as I want, but if I play a game, it shuts off at the 5 minute mark. I've even used a stopwatch and the time is identical to when it shuts off each time.

Plugged into the wall, not a power strip. Have tried multiple outlets.
Have tried Instant On, as well as Energy Saving setting.
Tried multiple games.
Tried multiple games without any external drive connected.

Just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions before I wind up sending it to Microsoft, which I really don't want to do.
First fix they'll always ask you to do is try a hard reboot. Hold the power "switch" for 5 or so seconds until the console turns off. You can take the extra step of unplugging if you want.

Second step would be to factory reset. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, nor do I know how to do it. I do know it will be less painful if you use an external drive for all your games and apps, as you'll have to redownload/install anything on the internal.

Other info grabbing questions:
Are you in the preview program?
Do you have some crazy parental timer setting set up?
Did an evil gnome sync his smartglass app to your console to mess with you?
Are you playing games from disc, digital, or does it make no difference? (probably doesn't matter either way)
Other info grabbing questions:
Are you in the preview program?
Do you have some crazy parental timer setting set up?
Did an evil gnome sync his smartglass app to your console to mess with you?
Are you playing games from disc, digital, or does it make no difference? (probably doesn't matter either way)
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
I've done the hard reboot, multiple times.

No preview program. No parental timers. Games were via disc.
Wow that's a bad problem.
Does it shut down on digital games as well?
Hotdog already suggested it but a factory reset would be the only other option, before turning it over to microsoft support. I sent mine in and got it back all I think they actually did was do a factory reset.
Good Luck solving this.
Second step would be to factory reset. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, nor do I know how to do it. I do know it will be less painful if you use an external drive for all your games and apps, as you'll have to redownload/install anything on the internal.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
At this point, DomeJohnny, I would recommend the Factory Reset. If you use external storage, disconnect it. If you don't use external storage, go buy one, and transfer all of your games and apps to it (you'll wish you had), and then disconnect it.

Now, go to Settings -> System -> Console info & updates -> Reset console.

This will wipe everything, clear all cache and memory, format the hard drive, and build you a brand new console system. Will likely fix any issue you have, and they will likely ask you to do it before submitting it for repair. But, anything on the internal hard drive will be gone, and you will need to redownload EVERYTHING. But, if you have it all on external storage, you just plug it right back in.
Reading this my first thought was the console is overheating so another thing to rule out...

Something I have done myself in the past when playing disc based games, I have put the case on top of the grill area of the case, it is important to keep this area clear as it obstructs the air flow and your console will start overheating. A tell tale sign of this happening is the cooling fans go ballistic and very audible.
I think I've seen you posting this question in the Ambassador Chat! Overheating was my first thought as well. How long have you had it?
Overheating was my thought as well, but it's just weird that it's the exact amount of time every single time right down to the second. It is properly ventilated and nothing is on top of it. Also, I don't even have to actually play the game, all I have to do is load it and it'll kill everything at 5 minutes.

When it does shut off after 5 minutes of gameplay, it kills all power to the power brick. The light on the brick goes off completely and stays off until it is unplugged and plugged back in - that led me to believe that it was shutting down due to some kind of power/voltage issue. I went ahead and ordered a new power brick to see if that will solve the issue. If it doesn't, I'll perform the factory reset after I copy my stuff over to external (about 75% of my stuff is already copied over).

If that doesn't work, I'll send it to Microsoft. The unit is less than a year old, so it's under warranty until the end of January.

Appreciate all of the comments/suggestions. Thanks all.
Have*you tried it on a different outlet in your house? Might be wiring on one circuit, maybe?*
Have*you tried it on a different outlet in your house? Might be wiring on one circuit, maybe?*
Originally Posted by palmettobling
I did, I relocated it and it still does the same thing.
Is it only disc based games, or do digital ones do it also? Just checking in case it's an optical drive issue.
Is it only disc based games, or do digital ones do it also? Just checking in case it's an optical drive issue.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
It was both disc & digital.

I was able to change out the power brick with a different one and that fixed it. I'm still going to go ahead and move everything over to an external drive so that should something happen again and I need to do a factory reset, I'll be ready to go.
I copied all of the stuff off of the console to the external drive and did a factory reset of the console as was suggested. That seemed to solve whatever the issue was.

Thanks again!
I copied all of the stuff off of the console to the external drive and did a factory reset of the console as was suggested. That seemed to solve whatever the issue was.

Thanks again!
Originally Posted by DomeJohnny
External storage is the way to go! I jut swapped out a Day One for an X1S, and am giving the Day One to my brother-in-law, and I feel like an ass not giving him external storage. But, hey, you gotta put some money in it yourself.

Smile
As a person who picked up a 4TB driver recently I can certainly vouch for external storage, not only for being able to have every owned game installed (current count 227, seriously, it does change how you feel about gaming on the system knowing every game is literally a button push away), but as I'm learning now also for system swap/factory restore situations
As a person who picked up a 4TB driver recently I can certainly vouch for external storage, not only for being able to have every owned game installed (current count 227, seriously, it does change how you feel about gaming on the system knowing every game is literally a button push away), but as I'm learning now also for system swap/factory restore situations
Originally Posted by WoodlandSpirit
Well, Kaens and I have been pretty vocal proponents of external storage since it was switched on for the console. It also makes you hate physical media.
Well, Kaens and I have been pretty vocal proponents of external storage since it was switched on for the console. It also makes you hate physical media.
Originally Posted by futiles
Yeah mine has <550 games installed on it and I think I'm at about 80%. I have a lot of back compat games and ID games though. I was in a bind yesterday because my mother in law was watching tv with me in the kitchen and a FFXV commercial came on. She said, "Are you going to get that one?" "Eventually, once it goes on sale. I never pay full price for games.", I replied. "Oh because Christmas is coming up and I needed idea."

/queue awkward silence as I think "OMG, she's going to by me a disk, wtf am I going to do with that?!"
Yeah mine has <550 games installed on it and I think I'm at about 80%. I have a lot of back compat games and ID games though. I was in a bind yesterday because my mother in law was watching tv with me in the kitchen and a FFXV commercial came on. She said, "Are you going to get that one?" "Eventually, once it goes on sale. I never pay full price for games.", I replied. "Oh because Christmas is coming up and I needed idea."

/queue awkward silence as I think "OMG, she's going to by me a disk, wtf am I going to do with that?!"
Originally Posted by Kaens
"You know, Microsoft currency sure is nice, and it is just like getting an actual game from you..."

Originally Posted by Kaens
Best Buy sells digital codes in place of discs if you ask.....

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account