Found 22 posts - Go to Last Post

I'm considering getting a Windows Phone through Verizon. Any advice for someone new to the smart phone scene?
I'm considering getting a Windows Phone through Verizon. Any advice for someone new to the smart phone scene?
Originally Posted by Dvader83
Wait a couple more months... Windows 10 phone should be this Fall sometimes. Either that or they're going to kill it. Or get the cheapest one you can get on Edge and wait... Or buy a used one and run it on Wi-Fi.
The HTC One (M8) looks pretty nice and reasonable with a 2 year contract. That's just me looking online. I have a Nokia Icon through Verizon but I don't think you can get that anymore. They might still have Nokia WP at the stores still but I don't think you can get a Nokia WP phone through Verizon anymore...
Currently you cant beat the Lumia 1520.3 specs (but the phone is no loner in production) which is either an AT&T exclusive or a pricey in the unlocked version. (way worth it, it's the phone I have) If you want a phone now, the Lumia 640 and 640 XL are great for the Wi-Fi only option. But if you want to stick with Verizon I would listen to Fshguy
I went through two WPs (on Verizon) and gave up...jumped back to iPhone. They simply did a lot of obnoxious things like not receiving pic messages (you instead receive a message saying "click to download media" or some such then you just hope you have enough signal to get the damn thing some time in the next half hour) and if my signal was weak, which it often is at my house, it would send multiple copies of every text I sent. I'm sure that annoyed a few people. It would also receive multiple copies on a low signal, which was pretty annoying for me Lol

I desperately wanted to love the phone and I gave it plenty of time to improve...a couple years and two different phones, but it just wasn't for me. Now, whether or not some of these problems were carrier (Verizon) related, I do not know. These issues may not even exist on AT&T or whatever else is out there, so I can't speak to that with any certainty.

So basically I'm with Fsh....wait and roll the dice on WP10 or browse ebay for a cheap phone and buy it just for gaming purposes (on wifi).
I asked a few months ago, since I am still running on my 4 year old Trophy WP7 (love it actually), but it's not playing any WP8 games for me - I am fixing to wait until newr stuff rolls out here in the fall. I am on Verizon too BTW
I did mine on the cheap. Good condition Icons are $240 on ebay.

If you're not going to use it too much, you can do $30/month through Page Plus BYOD. https://www.pagepluscellular.com/pla...k-n-text-1200/
verizon is not the most friendly service for WP. They don't allow group messaging except through their own app, which is why toddy doesn't have friends anymore.
I use a Lumia 1520 which I honestly think is among the best phones on the market no matter what OS or Carrier. I am running Windows 10 build 10036 on it. Which runs fine but is not ideal if the rumors of the new 6 and 8 core phones are true they would be worth waiting for. I was told that the 1520 I am running now will not support continuum. Which to me is a big deal because I use my phone as a laptop more than a phone. I would advise waiting until some official hardware announcements are made. Also the htc M8 looks like the only option on Verizon I would consider at this point.
So.... If I'm reading into these answers correctly, I shouldn't get a Windows Phone just to add Xbox lite games for the achievements. I would be better off getting a normal phone for talking & texting like everybody else.
I don't see a point of carrying around a second phone to use as a Gameboy. But I'm also not on Verizon and have never seen the "windows phone issues" related to picture messages. I think what most of them are saying is now is a bad time to buy a Windows Phone due to a new generation coming to market as soon as September.

If you just want a handheld device to unlock achievements on I believe the Lumia 635? with 1GB of RAM will meet you needs as a $100 of contract phone you can just connect to WiFi. but as far as a $700 two year commitment I would wait.
So.... If I'm reading into these answers correctly, I shouldn't get a Windows Phone just to add Xbox lite games for the achievements. I would be better off getting a normal phone for talking & texting like everybody else.
Nope. I have a Nokia 1520, and love it. In fact i have 2, one personal and one work. I have had an iPhone and an Android, never much cared for either, so, I went back to Windows Phone.

I don't see a point of carrying around a second phone to use as a Gameboy. But I'm also not on Verizon and have never seen the "windows phone issues" related to picture messages. I think what most of them are saying is now is a bad time to buy a Windows Phone due to a new generation coming to market as soon as September.

If you just want a handheld device to unlock achievements on I believe the Lumia 635? with 1GB of RAM will meet you needs as a $100 of contract phone you can just connect to WiFi. but as far as a $700 two year commitment I would wait.
Originally Posted by StophJ
I have seen the issues as described above, but, only in group texts that include at least one iPhone user. I had the issue when I was on Android, too. Most of my extended family is iPhone, and I get it in their threads. When I am in just WP threads or WP/Android threads, I never see the issue. iOS uses its own method for handing off SMS and MMS, and it does not always play well with others that use a standard. Basically, same thing with users that have iOS, and use iMessaging, have trouble going seemlessly to other OS based devices.

As for the Lumia 635, is contract/plan are not a concern, because it is not getting activated as a phone, then buying it at Best Buy, Target, or Wal-Mart in the "GoPhone" packaging for $50 is the absolute best way to get it.
I said the HTC phone looked like a good deal. I prefer Nokia myself, but I had an HTC and it did me justice for unlocking achievements and what not. Do what you want bro, you asked for advice and that's what you got. Take it or leave it. And I don't mean this in a negative way at all.
I said the HTC phone looked like a good deal. I prefer Nokia myself, but I had an HTC and it did me justice for unlocking achievements and what not. Do what you want bro, you asked for advice and that's what you got. Take it or leave it. And I don't mean this in a negative way at all.
Originally Posted by Preludecris
I've had two different HTC and the second one I ad to replace three times due to known catastrophic programing errors that only the phone providers knew about at the time, they are probably more widely known problems now but still any new device will have problems. I'm currently with Cricket and they are doing me jus fine with a Nokia. Best part is I'm not locked in to any plan it's month by month and they got bought out by AT&T which most providers actually use AT&T towers anyway. So good coverage but in few spots. Over all I have been with Sprint, T-Moblie & Verizon and so far Cricket has been beating them all in terms of service and price.
Interesting read I stumbled upon today......

Windows Phone is as good as dead
Originally Posted by SG Steelhead
I read a similar article that said the whole WP and purchase of Nokia was Ballmer''s baby and the new CEO is not on board with Ballmer's vision. Yesterday I also read an article, which I can't find anymore, about how this new CEO plans to kill WP within the next three years.

Why do I suddenly feel like I have a Betamax in my hands...
I read a similar article that said the whole WP and purchase of Nokia was Ballmer''s baby and the new CEO is not on board with Ballmer's vision. Yesterday I also read an article, which I can't find anymore, about how this new CEO plans to kill WP within the next three years.

Why do I suddenly feel like I have a Betamax in my hands...
Originally Posted by LordChabelo13
I'm not concerned at all. The single pane/3 screens format of Win10 lends itself better to WP. It will likely change, but, change is good.
Interesting read I stumbled upon today......

Windows Phone is as good as dead
Originally Posted by SG Steelhead
Odd double post...
Odd double post...
Originally Posted by futiles
I think he's just wanting to make sure his point comes across.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account