Epic Challenge 2016

Gaming Chat

Which scoring system do you prefer for Epic Challenge 2016

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 13 (41.94%) Keep Epic Challenge 2015 scoring.

× 18 (58.06%) Simplify scoring by making retail and arcade games weighted equally.

• Added 12-28-2015 08:05 AM
  • 31 votes
Epic Challenge 2016

Just wanted to get a thread started for signups for next year and have some discussion on scoring since it was brought up to possibly change scoring to simplify things.

To Sign Up:
1) Post in this thread that you would like to join.
2) Join the Epic Challenge 2016 Leaderboard (this is unofficial leaderboard just for fun to track participant's completed games)

Signups will close at the end of February.

Rules:

You will be awarded "Epic Points" for every game you complete in 2016. These points will be based on the achievement with the highest TA score on TrueAchievements.

Games from all platforms count, but Apps do not.

I will keep a spreadsheet with a tally of how many games you complete as well as your "Epic Score". I will post this spreadsheet at end of every month along with scores, and I encourage people to check the spreadsheet and let me know if I didn't update something correctly.

The only thing you have to do is post in this thread when you complete a game. (See posting guidelines below)

To complete a game, you must complete all achievements in the game including 0 GS achievements and any DLC that is available for the game at that time. If you complete a game and then new DLC is released, you do not lose your completion. If you then complete the new DLC, just repost the completion with the updated highest TA achievement. The highest ratio for a specific game is updated in the spreadsheet each time someone posts their completion for that game, so if you have also completed that game, your score will go up or down based on the new TA ratio. Please post your completions in a reasonable time frame after you complete them (within a week vs months later).

Scoring ends at 12am US Pacific Time (GMT-8) on 01-01-17 and all completions must be posted before this time.

Posting Guidelines:

The post for each completion should contain 3 things:
1) Completion number for 2016 (optional)
2) Game Title - Post title exactly as it appears on TA (copy & paste is your friend)
3) Highest TA score and achievement name

Examples:

Completion #xx
Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce
4.19 (Dynasty Warrior)

Completion #xx
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (ESP Ver) (WP)
1.16 (Voy sobrado)

Completion #xx
Chaos;Head: Love Chu*Chu!
1.05 (various achievements)

Scoring:
The Epic Points for a game will be the value of the highest TA ratio achievement. All games from all platforms are weighted equally.

2015 Scoring (for historical purposes)

For 2015, a Base Point (BP) was determined from the highest TA Ratio achievement in the game which was then used to calculate the Epic Points (EP) depending whether it was a retail or arcade game.

For Base Points:
If High TA < 1.5, BP = 1.0
If 1.5 < High TA < 2.0, BP = 1.5
If High TA > 2.0, BP = High TA Truncated (eg. 5.51 = 5 BP)

For Epic Points:
If Retail game, EP = 2 x BP
If Arcade game, EP = 1 + BP (unless BP < 2, then just round BP)

Which means retail games are worth more epic points than arcade games with same High TA score achievement.
Example 1: For game with High TA of 4.6, BP = 4, the EP for arcade would be 5, and the EP for retail would be 8.
Example 2: For game with High TA of 1.75, BP = 1.5, the EP for arcade would be 2, and the EP for retail would be 3.
Last edited 02-12-2016 at 12:34 AM by Elem3ntal80.
Here are the final results for Epic Challenge 2016.

Congrats to Buckswana for the win!

Link to Spreadsheet

Epic Score
Buckswana 355.5
Hotdogmcgee 306.2
Elem3ntal80 205.7
Mephisto4thewin 176.8
BigNev44 139.4
Musquito 94.5
DomeJohnny 82.0
Fshguy 76.2
JGravert 75.1
MrGompers 69.8
Dacoto 59.8
The Fury l84l 54.3
spankyNspronkle 44.4
Yontnaem 43.4
fragilesound 36.7
porschephiliac 34.6
futiles 33.3
Badson42 13.0
Arcstar09 12.9
pTartTX 11.1
B8TINGU 0.0
Kaens 0.0

Completions
Buckswana 117
Hotdogmcgee 116
Mephisto4thewin 77
Elem3ntal80 56
Fshguy 45
Musquito 44
MrGompers 41
BigNev44 37
JGravert 37
DomeJohnny 32
The Fury l84l 31
Dacoto 21
Yontnaem 15
futiles 15
fragilesound 14
spankyNspronkle 12
Arcstar09 6
Badson42 6
pTartTX 5
porschephiliac 3
B8TINGU 0
Kaens 0
Last edited 01-02-2017 at 10:50 PM by Elem3ntal80.
Sign me up.

My preference is no difference between retail and arcade. Do Windows Phone, Win 8,... games count too?
Count me in.

Games are games (now). Easiest way to do it is make Epic Points = high TA, without modification, truncation, or calculation.

I like all of the other rules as is, i.e. new DLC does not take away your prior completion of the title (logistically a nightmare to track) and the Epic Value being adjusted as additional people complete the title (strategery)
Sign me up.

My preference is no difference between retail and arcade. Do Windows Phone, Win 8,... games count too?
Originally Posted by Musquito
Yes, all games count from all platforms, arcade game was just generic to denote a game with less than 1000 GS. The lines got blurred between retail and arcade with some of the new series games which start at 200 GS and end up with 1000 GS as episodes are added. Also there are technically no arcade games on X-box One now that all games are 1000 GS.
I have not written in this in awhile..... sign me up! Smile
Sign me up please. Never tried this before so could be fun.
Sign me up!

I agree to keep them equal as well.
I'm in again. Pretty sure my 3 year streak has come to an end, so time to start a new one. Smile
Sigh me up. I like your new idea for counting epic points, however it may be more fair to still weigh win 8 and win phone games less than retail titles. I don't think any of them have reached 1000GS yet except for Disney Fairies.
Sigh me up. I like your new idea for counting epic points, however it may be more fair to still weigh win 8 and win phone games less than retail titles. I don't think any of them have reached 1000GS yet except for Disney Fairies.
Originally Posted by MrGompers
Lower GS available does not automatically mean they are easier to complete. The Win10 games that are being released (the very, very few) are at 1000 GS as well. Anyone could look at the 2015 spreadsheet and count the number of WP and Win games compared to console games, and my guess is that they are a pretty low percentage of the overall total of games completed. Making them a lower weight adds additional calculations and tracking that isn't really worth the work.

Also interstetting to note, 22 votes as of this post, but only 9 people signed up. A lot of people just voting for the poll might skew the results, so I'd put extra weight into the comments that are left over the poll results.
The other reason for lower values for arcade/wp/win8 was that they were generally quicker to complete. This isn't the case any more for the most part, as most of the WP games that have been released lately are long/grindy, and there a tons of quick indy games constantly being released for the console. Really doesn't make sense for the extra work.
I'm in, because not everyone can be in last place...
Sign me up!

As for the points, games are games now. Not really sure why they were ever treated differently. It's not like an "arcade" title is automatically easier... It always depends on the game.

I agree with eliminating BP and making the TA the score.
The other reason for lower values for arcade/wp/win8 was that they were generally quicker to complete. This isn't the case any more for the most part, as most of the WP games that have been released lately are long/grindy, and there a tons of quick indy games constantly being released for the console. Really doesn't make sense for the extra work.
Originally Posted by Buckswana
I agree with this.
This year is going to be good for me so sign me up!

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account