Physical vs. Digital Games in 2021

Gaming Chat

Found 13 posts - Go to Last Post

Featured Poll

When was the last time you bought a physical copy of a video game?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 11 (33.33%) In the last 6 months

× 5 (15.15%) 6-12 months ago

× 6 (18.18%) 1-3 years ago

× 6 (18.18%) 3-5 years ago

× 5 (15.15%) Over 5 years ago

• Added 05-06-2021 06:45 PM
  • 33 votes
With the introduction and convenience of digital game purchases in this gaming generation, I'm curious when was the last time you purchased a physical copy of a game?

Has your game purchasing habits shifted between physical and digital as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, Game Pass, or other conditions?

BOOM! Here's our featured poll for May 2021.
After I sold my 360, I've never purchased a physical copy of a game.
I bought some physical copies of games for a little while after I bought my Xbox One, but thanks to Games With Gold and devs/publishers like Ratalaika that release easily completed games, as well as not having a lot of space to store discs, I've switched to primarily digital copies.
I can't even remember. I think the last physical game I "bought" was Forza Horizon 3, because it came with a console bundle I was getting some spectacular deal on from MS.
I like the convenience of digital, but still prefer discs. I usually work on completing one game at a time, so leaving a game in the console is no issue for me. I also buy a lot less games these days and never on day one anymore. If Cyberpunk 2077 has not convinced you then nothing will. Out of all the games I have gotten for free from gold, I have only played one (Styx Master of Shadows) and I still need to complete it.

This is where the convenience for me is on digital. I bought Star Wars Battlefront on disc. Then when the DLC was on sale with an ultimate pack I bought it for $10. Then put the disc copy on the shelf. Same with the Division, bought the disc, and that title was then a free game of the month. On the shelf it goes.
I regret every single physical game purchased for Xbone, PS4, and Switch. Every so often, some used copy or super sale or ridiculous offer would tempt me, I would buy a disc, and then never play it, because the 100+ games digitally downloaded are already there, and I don't have to walk over to the closet, find the game, carry it over to the console, or go find it in the other console...
It’s all about the sales for me, and I’m just not tuned into sale info about physical copies of games. I’ll look around when I’m at Best Buy or Target but it seems like everything is just always static at that 59.99.
It’s all about the sales for me, and I’m just not tuned into sale info about physical copies of games. I’ll look around when I’m at Best Buy or Target but it seems like everything is just always static at that 59.99.
Originally Posted by thanatos8285
There are ways to get sales adverts sent to you for when games go on sale.
I cant believe people would ever want to get up from the Sofa to change a Disc.

(then again I remember the days you had to get up to press a button on the TV to change to one of the other 3 channels)
There are ways to get sales adverts sent to you for when games go on sale.
Originally Posted by Dvader83
For specific games only? And even so, I can only think of maybe 2-3 times in my life I've ever seen physical games go on sale for as much as digital ones go for.
For specific games only? And even so, I can only think of maybe 2-3 times in my life I've ever seen physical games go on sale for as much as digital ones go for.
Originally Posted by thanatos8285
Sorry, I thought you meant general sales on most games.
I don't pick up a lot of games to begin with, but I'm guessing it's been around 5 years. it's mostly Steam or the occasional direct Xbox download for me
I bought some physical copies of games I wanted to finish the achievements on last summer. But before that it had been about seven years since I bought a physical game for Xbox.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account