Feature Clarification - New Privacy Settings

Feature Requests

Found 13 posts - Go to Last Post

Started
If I change my privacy settings from super private, no one can see my page, to just Friends can see my page, would that add me into the listings of who has earned a badge for everyone to see, or would JUST my friends be able to see it, or would I still be invisible there?

I'd like for my friends to be able to see it.
Status changed from 'Planned' to 'Started' - This currently works as expected on Badge pages. I'll roll this out to other listings on the site so those with private profiles only appear if you are friends with them.
I'm not sure why there is a super private option. Especially for individuals who so publicly displays their playing habits elsewhere. It makes no sense to censor here but not in other places. What do I know, right?
I'm not sure why there is a super private option. Especially for individuals who so publicly displays their playing habits elsewhere. It makes no sense to censor here but not in other places. What do I know, right?
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
I cannot speak for everyone, but, some people have asked other gaming sites for similar privacy settings. And that has led to features where not everyone can post on your feed, or only friends can see your feed...
Oh, ok. It seems odd to me that if one was so reclusive, why would he or she choose to partake of a public forum? Wouldn't it be easier to not even join in the first place? I would think that if my anonymity was so important, then I would take measures to avoid anything promoting what I would wish stayed private. For someone who is already a member, I would initially ask "why bother with anonymity" when a single please search would merit the majority of results I would be interested in, as a gamer researching other gamers on a gaming website. Make sense?
On another note, demanding that a site owner Institute changes to suit a minority's wishes sort of violates the original aspect of the sites owner's mission. If one is so sensitive to thier data being public, then that person should simply remove themselves from the public place, instead of requesting seemingly unnecessary changes. That's the kind of political drama that has destroyed the American Constitution, bleeding off into a gaming culture, as an example.
Of course, to play devil's advocate, one may wish to participate in a public discussion and still keep certain details private. For example, just because I go to a town meeting doesn't mean that I want a sign posted that has my full name, address, phone number, and e-mail on it.
I understand that aspect of it for sure. But from what I am understanding and have researched, some profiles have absolutely no public details visible. I am referring to that aspect only - what's the point then in even joining? I understand keeping certain details private, but everything? Doesn't make logical sense.
On another note, demanding that a site owner Institute changes to suit a minority's wishes sort of violates the original aspect of the sites owner's mission.
Then you ought to tell some people to quit posting altogether...

I think you've strayed away from the original request. It's not that he wants no one to see anything of his. He would like his friends to be able to see his badges, progress, etc, but not those who aren't his friends for very public things like badges. Pretty much the way facebook allows you to tweak your settings for public, friends only, and no one.

For a site development tool, it would allow Eric to test out new features like mystery badges without having the public catch on before the feature is fully tested and released.

Just because something doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it isn't a valid request.
I understand that aspect of it for sure. But from what I am understanding and have researched, some profiles have absolutely no public details visible. I am referring to that aspect only - what's the point then in even joining? I understand keeping certain details private, but everything? Doesn't make logical sense.
So, what you're saying, is that if I don't want to make at least something on my profile visible and accessible to everybody, I should be unable to join this site and post in the forums? To you, making it so that not everybody has access to everything we do on the site (or in some cases, some people, like those not on your friends list, have no access to your profile) does not make sense. There will always be somebody that thinks something somebody else thinks or does simply doesn't make sense.

Remember that the world is made up of different personalities and opinions. There's nothing wrong with that, even if we can't understand why somebody thinks the way they do, as long as it isn't hurtful to others.

As far as demanding changes to suit a minority, nobody has demanded anything. People have asked for more privacy settings, which is what the request option is all about. People request things all the time that not everybody will like or use. Eric can choose to implement or ignore these feature requests as he sees fit.

But, hey, that's just my opinion.
I apologize to all here. Hotdog's explanation filled the gaps I had obviously missed. I had thought the request for absolute privacy, not privacy limited to friends, much like fb's offering. My bad, sorry guys. Just ignore me like usual Smile
I apologize to all here. Hotdog's explanation filled the gaps I had obviously missed. I had thought the request for absolute privacy, not privacy limited to friends, much like fb's offering. My bad, sorry guys. Just ignore me like usual Smile
Actually, there was no request made at all. There ALREADY IS three privacy settings, and I was asking for clarification on what each setting did, and what would be the effect of changing between them.

That actually caused Eric to decide to tweak them out some. And then ask me to test the tweaks he has made.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account