My Hard Drive is making noises

Xbox 360

Found 5 posts - Go to Last Post

I have a Black Xbox Elite with120 gig Hard Drive. The HD is now making some loud noises just sitting at the dashboard. I am getting worried that the drive could go and I will loose all my game saves, Halo films and games (I know I can re-download them). Anyone have a similar problem and how long do I have? I am already looking online to buy a new 250 gig drive just in case.
Describe the sound and I'll let you know the probable issue. (Hate to admit my geek side, but I use to repair computers and original xbox 360's)... Also any abnormal sound that you are certain is coming from the hard drive, I would back up as soon as possible, and I wouldnt use my xbox till I get that hard drive backed up.
If your HDD is making sounds (especially grindy/crunchy sounds), then yes, it is more than likely on it's way out.

I would buy a new MS HDD and the transfer cable (unless you are skilled with this type of thing, and can remove the HDD and duplicate it yourself) SOON.

Spectre is absolutely right, don't continue using it, because it could be very close to failure...
A grindy noise would be a fair description, almost as if the hard drive is writing data. it only does it occasionally. Right now i am installing a game and it made the noise for about 2% of the install.

I backed up all my important saves on a memory card last night. I have a transfer cable from when I moved my data from my 20 gig to this one. I could buy a 250 HD $60 at Newegg.com or I could wait for black friday. They are selling a xbox bundle for $189. Debating between the two.
A grindy noise would be a fair description, almost as if the hard drive is writing data. it only does it occasionally. Right now i am installing a game and it made the noise for about 2% of the install.

I backed up all my important saves on a memory card last night. I have a transfer cable from when I moved my data from my 20 gig to this one. I could buy a 250 HD $60 at Newegg.com or I could wait for black friday. They are selling a xbox bundle for $189. Debating between the two.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Sooner rather than later. You may have hours or you may have months, but, it will likely be a full hardware failure.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account