× 8 (14.81%) West - Arizona Cardinals

× 7 (12.96%) West - San Francisco 49ers

× 9 (16.67%) West - Seattle Seahawks

× 5 (9.26%) West - St. Louis Rams

• Added 09-12-2014 08:17 PM
  • 54 votes
  • Multiple choice enabled
  • Votes are public
And now the good side of the NFL, where real football is played.
Where is the NOT Cowboys option? Did somebody come in and vote for every team? And shouldn't that be the x-skins?
So many poor Redskins fans. At least I don't suffer alone.
We will NEVER change our name! It's not racist and never has been. Keep your political correctness out of here!
We will NEVER change our name! It's not racist and never has been. Keep your political correctness out of here!
Originally Posted by Kaens
Okay, you might not, but the NFL franchise that plays in Washington D.C. area probably will. Whether or not you believe it's racist, there are enough people in the world that do believe it is. Sorry man.
Where is the NOT Cowboys option?
Originally Posted by Fshguy
This has my vote! Smile

Actually, I went with a couple of teams — Detroit, Green Bay, Atlanta, New Orleans and Seattle. I could see each of these teams making a run for the NFC title.
So, I have to ask: How many of those that voted for the Seattle Seahawks would have chosen them a year ago, before their Super Bowl winning season? I know I would have, but I've lived in the Seattle area my whole life and grew up a Seahawks fan, despite many losing seasons.
So, I have to ask: How many of those that voted for the Seattle Seahawks would have chosen them a year ago, before their Super Bowl winning season? I know I would have, but I've lived in the Seattle area my whole life and grew up a Seahawks fan, despite many losing seasons.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
What does it matter? How is having new fans an issue? Casual fans always cheer for winners, and that just means better exposure.

Honestly, I love that the Saints fan base has expanded so much because of their recent history. Now that I live 13 hours away, I get to see a lot more of the games at my house because of the amount of National Coverage games they get.
New fans are always great; I'm just wondering how many people would have never given the Seahawks a second thought before if they hadn't won the Super Bowl last year. Is it wrong of me to be curious which fans might only be fair weather fans?
Is it wrong of me to be curious which fans might only be fair weather fans?
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
Yes.

And, when you posted the question, there were only 3 people that had picked Seattle, so, it isn't like they were loaded up with people saying that was their favorite.
I can't believe Detroit is so popular.
I disagree with your opinion there, futiles, but I will keep any further curiosity to myself for fear of your wrath Wink
Carolina ftw!!! oh we just whopped Detroit lol
Originally Posted by Cer3bra1Asassin
CONGRATS ON BEATING THE MOST MEDIOCRE TEAM OF ALL TIME!!!

SAME OLD LIONS!!!
I can't believe Detroit is so popular.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Right? is there that many people here from Michigan? I find it hard to believe anyone outside of the greater Detroit area would like such a terrible team. yes im curious too and I don't give a damn what futiles thinks
, There is nothing wrong with wondering where/why fans like a certain team, but anyone liking the Lions outside the area should have their head examined. GO STEALERS!!! oh dang they suck too.....at least its almost hockey season......
Right? is there that many people here from Michigan? I find it hard to believe anyone outside of the greater Detroit area would like such a terrible team. yes im curious too and I don't give a damn what futiles thinks
, There is nothing wrong with wondering where/why fans like a certain team, but anyone liking the Lions outside the area should have their head examined. GO STEALERS!!! oh dang they suck too.....at least its almost hockey season......
Originally Posted by Sith Rick
That is a very different statement than "who are the fair weather fans?" or "who only likes them because of the Super Bowl win last year?" or "I've been liking them for so much longer than you." or any variation of those. A generic why/when/how is different, and can be a curiosity point. Like mine, I live in Kansas now, but I am a Saints fan. My why/when/how is March 1977, being born in Metairie, LA (part of New Orleans metro) and living there until October 2007.

I know many Kansas locals that followed the Saints the last 3 years, not because of the victories, but because Darren Sproles is from the town I currently live in. Now they follow the Eagles.

It is the sports version of the hipster that I argue against. Calling someone out because they don't meet some credibility you have decided to enforce is awful.
futiles;

I never said that I was better than anybody so please don't put words in my mouth (or my text, whatever). I am not the "sports version of a hipster" (I certainly don't think so); frankly, I barely watch sports, but I enjoy watching my local teams play, especially if I can be there in person. I am sorry that you dislike my inquiry as to who currently picks the Seahawks as their favorite team because of their Super Bowl win, or that you think I'm "calling them out". I said that I grew up a Seahawks fan as a statement of truth not as an indication of any sort of superiority complex.You yourself have stated: "Casual fans always cheer for winners". Should I take that as you feeling superior because you're not a "casual fan"? No, I shouldn't.

I am not trying to fight with you here, which is why my previous reply was that I would keep my curiosity to myself. It's also why I attempted to make a joke about it, even though I know that humor, like sarcasm, doesn't always transition well into text. I was merely curious as to who might be, as you would put it, a casual fan versus who might have been a fan prior to their winning season.

Rather than fight, why don't you, Sith Rick, and I just let this thread get back on the topic of GTN members' favorite teams in the NFC.
Knock it off, children. Smile

My personal favorite are and will always be the Cards. I'm a true-blooded AZ native and I am a firm believer in hometown/state pride. I root for local high school teams. I root for "my" teams through thick and thin - as a Cards fan, I've seen a lot of heartache.

Having said that, I also believe that rabid fanboyism is ridiculous. It's the same juvenile mentality that started with "my dad is better than yours" in kindergarten. It's time to grow up and evolve, IE, enjoy the game as its played. I love me some football - I'll watch any game, any time. Having an obsession bias towards one team ultimately limits a true fans' experience. The worst are the fans of players, who will root for whichever team their player is on. That's downright creepy.

Love the game. Be a fan of the game.
Well, to each their own, porschephiliac. You are a fan of the game, I am a fan of the Seahawks, and futiles is a fan of a player... I'm sure that these definitions are only a partial description and not the entirety of our fandoms. Somebody out there is a fan of a network that airs the game. It's all good, right? The only team that I actively root against is San Francisco, but that's just because my boss likes them and I like to give him a hard time when/if they lose; especially when it's against Seattle.
So long as it brings joy to your life, that's great. Choose experiences that will increase happiness, and you'll be happier. That's coming from a once bitter, grumpy, grizzled, disabled veteran. I find joy and peace watching the game. I used to find anxiety and frustration with solitary fandom - a plethora created by Cards in the past - so not anymore.

I do have an old close friend who LOVES the Packers, so I'll antagonize him to add to the entertainment value. It's quite refreshing and humorous It's to poke at superfans Wink without intended disrespect, which is what this thread has some subtly laced throughout.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account