Porsche's Movie Reviews - Suicide Squad

Entertainment

Found 12 posts - Go to Last Post

Margot Robbies' Harley Quinn - Be honest Wink

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 9 (25.00%) I prefer Margot Robbie from Wolf on Wall Street...

× 2 (5.56%) Ew, no way. I ain't taking Jokers' sloppy seconds..

× 6 (16.67%) Uh, walking STD? AmIright?

× 5 (13.89%) My significant other is crazier... just saying...

× 14 (38.89%) ...the things i would do to her...

• Added 08-14-2016 04:16 AM
  • 36 votes
Whoever decided that Margot Robbie would be the perfect Harley Quinn should get a medal. Actualay, the two in charge of casting have won and been nominated for awards regarding thier ability to assign actors to legendary roles. Natalie Portman in Black Swan; Sin City, Requiem For A Dream, Silver Linings Playbook, Fury, American Hustle - just to name a few... The team of Mary Vernieu and Lindsay Graham managed to put together an ensemble for this film that stretches the boundaries of character arcs. Miss Robbie, however, steals the screen everything she is present, with her ludicrous sex appeal and appetite for insanity that is Harley Quinn. One of the most iconic female characters has found a true model to fully portray her insanity precisely.

That being said, Academy Award winner Jared Leto truly hollowed out his soul to invite the true darkness that the legendary Joker is. I mean, how can you have a character that has killed at least one of its' actors not be incredibly titanic? The characters themselves, between Harley and Joker, glue the entire film together. The love story of thiers is visited several times in the film, and holds our breaths captive until the very end. I was personally awestruck at the sublime submersion Margot Robbie and Jared Leto displayed.

Now, not to undermind the other performers in the room: Badass alien-punching Oscar nominee Will Smith; Jai Courtney from Divergent series fame; Oscar nominee Viola Davis (who is truly the evil of evil...); TV stars Jay Hernandez and Joel Kinneman; and the rest of the crew founded thier respective roles with great clarity. As a connesiour of filmography, I found the well-rounded, albeit evil, relationships flowed organically well throughout the film. Even watching it, you get a sense that the actors had fun while making it. Now, on tonthe actual review:

I felt the plot was underdevelopped. The DC universe has unfortunately chosen this as a midstep between Superman V Batman and The Justice League. I fear Wonder Woman may get this same mediocre treatment. It felt as if we were watching an elongated episode designed for true fans of the genre, instead of the brilliant stand alone project it could have garnished. The monetary success of the film so far all but guarantees a forced sequel, yet i have some uneasiness at its future success since the characters eventually arced individually separately from each other. It will create an interesting play as the unity that the film may have established towards the end was eliminated by their prison lives. What, spoiler alert? No, BS. They are the bad guys, its what they do. They heroically save the day, and go back to prison. Duh. Its the Suicide Squad. They weren't designed for survival.

What really shocked me was the dramatic oversexualization of Harley and even more so Enchantress (played by Cara Delevingne, a relative new-comer to the a-list). Their character costumes were not reflecttive of the comic origins, in my humble opinion, especially Enchantress. In the comics, she was covered and spitefull, yet here, shes clad in a bikini and tattoos. It felt, I don't know, off somehow, and even my son commemted on how bare she was. That aside, I am a male, and will enjoy this observation, along with millions of others who attend for that sexualmreason alone. Thats fine. It does increase the value ofntue DC universe by upturning the meloncholy that Sm V Bm left.

I did however have a lot of fun watching it. It was preechy in a few parts, having to create the story from scrap as to whom the characters were, but it all,eventually tied up nicely and allowed truly unforgettable experience. It was amazing finding myself genuinely rooting for the bad guys to win. Will Smith stole that aspect, as his evil, criminal Deadshot heart had been softened by his daughters' plea for him to quit. Ben Affleck (uncredited) returned briefly in a few short scenes as both Bat and Man, which was surprisingly nice. His contribution was tomready us for the Justice League and that was his only participation. Seeing that beacon of heroism that the Batman is, sparkled the imagination for what is to come fro, the DC universe. I, for once, finally found myself excited by the prospect of DCs competition with Marvel.

We, as audience, will be blessed by DC in the next several years, as we have been by Marvel already. This hump of a film sets a stage that Marvel had failed to approach (not like they could have I suppose). So, for true fans of what this could have been, I'm sorry, you may be slightly dissapointed in this one, but fear not, it still was a great roller coaster ride that I will repeatedly enjoy. That is the true measure of a film - is it worth seeing again while it is still in theaters? How many of us have returned to a film they just saw because they simply enjoyed it as a fun ride? I'll admit to Mad Max: Fury Road, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, and only a few others in the last 35+ years of my attendances. Suicide Squad, with its pile of easter eggs and hidden subtleties is among those few that I feel is worth watching again in the big screen.

Have fun!

(PS: my spell check has been acting very strange today on my tablet. I know there will be errors, and once I am on a PC, I will proof-read and adjust. Thanks for reading!)
Great review, I agree with most everything. I like the fact that DCs first outing with a team was based on secondary characters the B and C list if you will. This makes it easy to forgive the slight changes they made for "Hollywood's" sake and by the way easy for them to kill or change any of these characters in later iterations. After all it's name is Suicide Squad and every major storyline I ever read from the comics some one died. It's an easy way to weed out week characters.

Their criminals and bad ones at that so yes they deserve to go back to prison. I didn't like the sympathy they were trying to create for them. As for performance's I think it came dangerously close to being the Will Smith show, but luckily they did hing on the "Romance" of Quinn and Joker. I still have hopes that this is not the real Joker as I think this version os just to OG. I think the Joker is supposed to be just over the top balls crazy and I saw too much tough guy here and not enough crazy. I also have issues with his looks why all the ink? This Joker reminded alot of the "All Star Batman" line.

They didn't give everyone enough screen time, but I know why, thier stories just went interesting enough and lack of time.

They didn't give everyone enough screen time, but I know why, thier stories just went interesting enough and lack of time.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Exactly. They relied too much on fandom knowledge of the characters. At just over two hours, it still felt rushed and tight. I would have obviously enjoyed another hour if they detailed the arcs much better. And yes, it almost was all about Will, but the corralled it just in time. Saw it again yesterday - just as good, if not better.
The only thing I wanted to have more on in the movie, and they just showed it. No talk, no observation, just there.

When the Joker is laying out in the circle of weapons, there are three onsies. Black and white and another one. Just there.

Never talk about it. Never mention it. Never come back to it. And it was such a great detail, for the rest of the movie I was just sitting there thinking, "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ONSIES?!?!?!"
The only thing I wanted to have more on in the movie, and they just showed it. No talk, no observation, just there.

When the Joker is laying out in the circle of weapons, there are three onsies. Black and white and another one. Just there.

Never talk about it. Never mention it. Never come back to it. And it was such a great detail, for the rest of the movie I was just sitting there thinking, "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ONSIES?!?!?!"
Originally Posted by futiles
When I saw those I thought the same thing, it was kind of disturbing. What kind of an explanation was there......were they victims or kids of victims, was it hopes for Harley or was it that he is just balls crazy.....but even so.....disturbing, very, very disturbing.
I just wondered if they were being disturbing for disturbings' sake... Ever seen Sucker Punch? Zach Snyder is warped... but I love him.
I just wondered if they were being disturbing for disturbings' sake... Ever seen Sucker Punch? Zach Snyder is warped... but I love him.
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
No, but I'm definitely purring it on my radar now.
He is very hit and miss for me. I probably love as much of his stuff as I am bored with others.

Dawn of the Dead. His remake was nearly perfect. Seriously, it may be one of my favorite zombie films. I watch it whenever it is on.

300 was fine, but, kind of boring, since he just follows most of the story to the point of there is nothing there to interest me.

Watchmen I enjoyed, as I thought the changes actually made the story better. Terry Gilliam was set to direct it about 15 years earlier, but decided against it because it was "unfilmable" at the time. Terry Gilliam would have gone full space squid.

The Ga'Hoole owls, or whatever, was awful.

Suckerpunch was just boring. I went thinking, "Well, the last film was lame, so, this should be a good one, since he is only consistent in his inconsistency." I fell asleep. I don't know, just boring. Which is about the worse thing a movie can be for me. I'd rather hate a movie than be bored by it.

I liked Man of Steel, though, a lot. I thought it was an exceptional take on Superman.

WTF was BvS?

So, as for his Producer roles, Suckerpunch was bad. Never saw 300 sequel. Suicide Squad he was "Excecutive Producer" which is Hollywood speak for "not actually involved, but has some rights to the film, and this is how he gets his cut."
I've enjoyed everything that he's put out, with Sucker Punch on top. That movie is so clever that most of the world missed its' point, much like Memento or Pi.
I've enjoyed everything that he's put out, with Sucker Punch on top. That movie is so clever that most of the world missed its' point, much like Memento or Pi.
o_O

Now I think you're just being silly.

That's like saying, "Plain everyday popcorn with no butter or salt is just as good as Cracker Jacks."
o_O

Now I think you're just being silly.

That's like saying, "Plain everyday popcorn with no butter or salt is just as good as Cracker Jacks."
Originally Posted by futiles
I know, I know, it was critically destroyed. But there is a hidden subplot throughout the entire film that the extended edition actually highlighted a bit better. The main plot is a cover for the real plot.and story. It's not about Babydoll escaping the asylum but unfortunately getting a lobotomy when she failed. That's just what you see. Watch it again, knowing that Babydoll cannot tell her story anymore after she was lobotomized. It becomes much more cerebral.

Also, I am a plain popcorn guy, with just salt. Sometimes I do butter, but I'm happy with just salt. Big Grin

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account