Start tracking MS-designated "Rare Achievements"

Feature Requests

Completed

Do you want to track your "Rare Achievements" on GTN?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 38 (59.38%) Yes

× 26 (40.63%) Hell yes

• Added 10-09-2016 02:20 PM
  • 64 votes
  • Votes are public
I assume TA is screen scraping so it doesn't update properly?

A new game is going to have rare achievements for like first 10 minutes...bit of a rubbish feature when you think of it like that...
Originally Posted by dieselv2
TA is not screen scraping, they are official partners with MS before MS dropped their community help program, I forgot what it was called.
Status changed to 'Planned'
Originally Posted by GTN Eric
And then there is this....the final and official word. Smile
If we track that do we lose achievement rarity function here? We can't have both.
Originally Posted by dieselv2
Why not? I mean, an xbox.com rarity vs GTN rarity wouldn't be tough to track at all...
Status changed to 'Planned'
Originally Posted by GTN Eric
Yay Awesome Smile
TA is not screen scraping, they are official partners with MS before MS dropped their community help program, I forgot what it was called.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Actually, they are/do scrape, or, at least the new equivalent of scraping.. It was the Xbox Community Developers Program, and they were added to that long AFTER they had their site up. However, that program is dead, and all data feeds from it are gone. Much like any other site doing any other Xbox Community functions, TA has learned how to read the Smartglass APIs.
And, if we give them a badge, what happens as more people get these "rare" achievements. If/when they stop being rare, does it then take away a badge because you no longer have that number?
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
Might want to put new achievements on a one-month hiatus to give them some time to normalize before including them in a badge count, if we're that concerned by it. Eric probably can do the math and see how long it takes for an average achievement to shake out to its final rarity.
Probably worth pointing out, an achievement is classed as rare on Xbox when it's less than 10% of the player base, not 1% as the linked site in the original post states and other people seem to have picked up on.
Probably worth pointing out, an achievement is classed as rare on Xbox when it's less than 10% of the player base, not 1% as the linked site in the original post states and other people seem to have picked up on.
Originally Posted by WoodlandSpirit
Either way we should not badge this new "rarity" system. Tracking XB rares vs GTN rares is one thing. Badging them is another. Unless they are 100% dynamic and you can lose the badge, it's a terrible idea.
people would have to accept the fact that they would lose something if we start badging "rare" achievements. This community is not ready for that.
Originally Posted by Dacoto
Please elaborate. What part of the community?
Originally Posted by N0RVY
The part of the community that voiced their concerns over losing badges the last time this issue came up. Two to three years ago. Not for rarity, obviously, but for something else. I can't remember, and honestly don't feel like searching through the forums to find the thread that had everyone complaining about the thought of losing something because their "earned" criteria was no longer valid.
The part of the community that voiced their concerns over losing badges the last time this issue came up. Two to three years ago. Not for rarity, obviously, but for something else. I can't remember, and honestly don't feel like searching through the forums to find the thread that had everyone complaining about the thought of losing something because their "earned" criteria was no longer valid.
First I'd like to thank futiles for your info, I wasn't aware they pulled everyone out and went under an assumption (I know my bad) because they were/may have been grandfathered in? Also due to the fact they got their own app, again another assumption X-Box teamed up with them did to it's popularity, another reason why X-Box would even consider the "rare" achievements..

Now on to why I used the quote. This has indeed been an issue that point is very valid, but I just want to throw this out there; Eric hasn't mentioned anything about a badge just for these new X-Box designated rare achievements. They could and probably will, just by name alone, be incorporated into the already "rare" achievements stats here on GTN. Not sure where the badge talk started, but for now let's not get all worked up over something that hasn't even been mentioned by Eric. Now this could change, but for now, I personally no nothing of anything extra other than planned tracking for this and all that is still up in the air too as how it will be designated,but I'm sure Eric has something in mind.
Now on to why I used the quote. This has indeed been an issue that point is very valid, but I just want to throw this out there; Eric hasn't mentioned anything about a badge just for these new X-Box designated rare achievements.
You are correct. ERIC hasn't said anything. But a suggestion was put out there to badge this, because people want to badge all the things. As with any badge suggestion, there is community discussion. Granted this isn't the "suggest all new badge ideas here" thread, but it is a thread about tracking rare achievements.
Originally Posted by N0RVY
The very vocal part of the community that have adamantly said "never lose badges, ever" multiple times for the last 3 years.
You are correct. ERIC hasn't said anything. But a suggestion was put out there to badge this, because people want to badge all the things. As with any badge suggestion, there is community discussion. Granted this isn't the "suggest all new badge ideas here" thread, but it is a thread about tracking rare achievements.
I think we're all on the same page on this, I was just putting out there, just in case someone hadn't realized there was not officially a badge for these. I completely understand where your coming from.
Fi... Not sure where the badge talk started, ...
Just an fyi: the badge talk begin in the original post.
Two things here:

Eric can track and badge whatever he wants, his site, his final choice.

There is also a precedent for badges where progress to a badge can change, and you lose progress, but do not actually lose any earned badges. When Apps Tracking changed, and only apps WITH achievements became tracked, many people lost progress on whichever app badge they were next in line for, but, did not lose any badges they had already earned. So, you earn 10 "Xbox-Tracked Rare" Achievements, and get the "10 Badge" but then 5 of those achievements become "Not Rare" and you are down to 5/25 for the "25 Badge" even though you have the "10 Badge" already.

Both of these are based on precedent on the site.
Why do we even need a badge?

We don't get a badge for having gtn rare achievements at the moment (do we?)

How about just simple tracking realigning the figures

Common - 51%+ (GTN)
Uncommon - 41-50% (GTN)
Rare - 31-40% (GTN)
Very Rare - 21-30% (GTN)
Super Rare - 0-20% (GTN)
Microsoft Rare - 0-10% (Xbox)

Just have some interesting stat reading from it.

EDIT:

Found this in changelog the day after this was marked as planned

v5.3.96
Achievement unlock percentages are now being imported and stored in the system. This update will be rolled out over the next couple of weeks.

Yesterday 01:47 PM
I actually think TA made a smart decision in how they handle it. They present both their and MS stats. It's good to see how your community is doing as a whole vs the general population. We here at GTN (or TA) should have a much higher completion rate on those rare type achievements because we are gaming enthusiasts. We are here because we care and it is more than a past time, it's a passion. Things like the JP import of a game have WAY higher completion rates because this is an English speaking site and the only people who have those games are rabid freaks like myself who import games and you didn't do that to NOT finish them.

I trust Eric will do what is best, as futiles point it out, GTN is his site.
Things like the JP import of a game have WAY higher completion rates because this is an English speaking site and the only people who have those games are rabid freaks like myself who import games and you didn't do that to NOT finish them.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Or people that go to Achievement Fest.... Which, I think you get half credit for IIRC.
Or people that go to Achievement Fest.... Which, I think you get half credit for IIRC.
Yep, Kaens is an honorary Achievement Fester. And an official Achievement Fest supporter.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account