Porsche's Movie Reviews: Doctor Strange

Entertainment

Found 9 posts - Go to Last Post

I just got out of the theatre playing this and will write a review up as soon as I get home.

Preview: whoa.

Edit: Review Added. Enjoy.

Doctor Stephen Strange. Legendary respected neurosurgeon, capable of thinking beyond the limits of modern medicine, and able to maintain a perfect memory, allowing a near perfect record for extrememly difficult neuro cases, finds himself without the source of his ego-boosting tools - his delicate and finely tuned hands, adapted by years of practice and study, to be a perfect extension of his psyche - damaged beyond western medicines limits of repair. He vainly searches for a remedy, exhausting countless financial and emotional resources, resulting in paying his entire wasted fortune on his own dawned desires.

Only then, has he approached the edge of rock bottom. Only then, is he spiritually prepared to accept his ethereal challenge as aneeded extradimensional savior of the multi-verse.

Fantastic British actor Benedict Cumberbatch lends his rather astounding performance credits to the Marvel cinematic universe, nailing the elusive and desperate Doctor Strange character at its quintessential core. In the entire realm of the Marvel universe, it is my personal opinion that Mr. Holmes, er, Doctor Who, er, Khan, er Benedict was the absolute perfect actor for the role. It can be argued that Robert Downey Jr has evolved his Tony Stark and Iron Man into what we have grown to expect. Any of us fans could argue that any favorite actor has embodied our favorite role well. I think, again my opinion, that Doctor Strange would have failed had any other actor attempted the mildly iconic role. Having said that, I was personally astounded at the graphic imagery that encompassed the cinematic landscape in this film.

Or, in other words, I haven't been impressed by a films visual interpretation from script (or comic) in a very long time. The culminating event between our protagonist and antagonist (played by the effortless Mads Mickkelsen) at the end of the movie was such an outstanding feat of cinematic prowess that I left overly satisfied in my visual expectations. Combined with the perfect acting of an entire cast, including Academy Award alum Tilda Swinton and Chewetel Ejiofor, the entire experience was greatly enjoyed.

I do not fancy myself as a true Marvel fan, having been only introduced in my youth and casually following along over the decades, but now, since we can achieve a result of visual enticements, I have delved deeper into the mythology that is Marvel. I eagerly await each new addition to the lore, and allow myself to relish in lost memories surfacing and wonderful memories newly created as I share this phenomenon with my son. I do this also with Star Trek and Star Wars, and it has created a very grand bonding session as each new film is released. As I spend time surrounding my hopes with each new film, my son does as well, researching the characters together as they surface. Doctor Strange has allowed yet another discussion of a morally great fantastic lore to behold. For that, I am grateful. Had the film been any less than the great tool it is, linking so many Marvel stories together, then I doubt we would have been as satisfied.

If you are a fan of Marvel, then this is a mandatory event to behold in a large theatre. The imagery and effort involved created a visual experience rarely seen, and wholly overwhelming. The last time I was this satisfied with a film was Mad Max Fury Road. Doctor Strange will be aneeding addition to my personal library the day it comes out, and I, and my son, will frequent the film in theatres at least a few more times.

I will avoid the spiritual aspect of this film, as each person will have his or her own interpretation of the underlying message littered throughout. I will however advise that the introspective nature of thought that some may retreat to during a viewing is a sure sign that you are more than you expect of yourself. You'll see what I mean when you witness it.

Go see it.

Now. Or then. Time is irrelevant to the good Doctor.

... Again?
Last edited 11-07-2016 at 01:23 AM by porschephiliac.
Absolutely LOVED this movie so I can't wait for your review, hopefully it won't take as long as your last one...lol.
I'm no critic, but I liked the pacing of this movie.
Absolutely LOVED this movie so I can't wait for your review, hopefully it won't take as long as your last one...lol.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Hey now, you know I'm a really preoccupied guy! I mean, just think ab - squirrel!

What was I doing?
I love the way you van review a film without spoilers, you're fantastic and I firmly believe you may have a genuine back for it...you should see about a part time job or something writing reviews and actually getting paid for it. Seriously.

Great review I'm glad you thought so highly of the movie. I thought it had to be something very special as this is really the first time the MCU has gotten into the mystic arts..now I'm not the biggest Dr. Strange fan (comic side) but this movie really helped bring him up and I really think we have a new contender for the face of marvel movies sans Robert Downy Jr. As Tony Stark.

The only thing I would add to your wonderful review is, that you need to remind people to stay until the very end of the credits...as in every Marvel movie.
I think that the only way my viewing of this movie could have been improved would be if we'd watched in in 3D. Which we'll do if we watched it again.
I love the way you van review a film without spoilers, you're fantastic and I firmly believe you may have a genuine back for it...you should see about a part time job or something writing reviews and actually getting paid for it. Seriously.

Great review I'm glad you thought so highly of the movie. I thought it had to be something very special as this is really the first time the MCU has gotten into the mystic arts..now I'm not the biggest Dr. Strange fan (comic side) but this movie really helped bring him up and I really think we have a new contender for the face of marvel movies sans Robert Downy Jr. As Tony Stark.

The only thing I would add to your wonderful review is, that you need to remind people to stay until the very end of the credits...as in every Marvel movie.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Well, thank you very much, for that supremely kind compliment. I have never ventured out to paid publishing, just merely offered my opinion free of charge - which allows for a bit more freedom of speech, I believe.

Benedict would be a great replacement for the Marvel face - he has established an iconic career spanning so many cult favorites. His addition to the series is a great bonus to the whole. And he nailed it!

And yes, I should advise a complete credits viewing. The 2 stingers in this one are glorious.
It was a hoot, easily in the top of the Non-Captain America movies. And, it is always fun to see Benedict Cumberbatch, and say things like, "Benedict Cumberbatch wearing an unencumbered cucumber cummerbund."

Thanks John Oliver

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account