Xbox 360 won't stay connected to internet and/or xbox live

Xbox 360

Found 14 posts - Go to Last Post

Is it possible for the ethernet port on an xbox 360 to fail ? My xbox 360 will not stay connected to live and I've tried numerous fixes already. This is for a WIRED connection. My other xbox 360 that is on a wireless connection will connect fine and stay connected. MY 360 is connected to the internet according to the network connection test.

I do not see any service messages for live being down, so I don't think that's it. My xbone which is on a wired connection stays connected fine as well. I keep getting the error code 80151904. I have also received the message "ICMP error"

I have also tried switching my hard drives to the other wireless xbox 360 and they work fine over there. The ethernet port is the only thing I can think of at this point or perhaps live is having issues that they are not telling us.
have you try to unplug and re plug your wired connection?
Note Before you reset the Xbox 360 console's network settings, make sure that you write down the current settings in case you have to restore them later. If you are using a secured wireless network, you will also need your wireless network password.

1. Press the Guide button on your controller, select Settings and select System Settings.
  2. Select Network Settings.
  3. Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network when the network list is displayed.
  4. Select Configure Network. On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults. When prompted, select Yes, Restore to Factory Defaults.

Note This resets the console's network settings only, and not other settings.

5. Turn off your console.
  6. Turn on your console.
    Wireless only: You will receive a message to configure wireless settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to your wireless network.

Now test your Xbox Live connection:

1. Press the Guide button on your controller, then select Settings, select System Settings and select Network Settings.
  2. Select the name of your Wireless Network, or select Wired Network for a wired connection.
  3. Select Test Xbox Live Connection.

If this solution worked, your console will connect to Xbox Live.
I have tried those suggestions. I even cleared system cache and system updates. My thread title is slightly misleading though and I couldn't edit the title. My 360 will connect to the internet, it won't connect to live or if it does it only stays connected for a couple minutes. My xbone connects fine.

As a last resort I hooked up my 360 via wireless adapter and it still won't connect. My other 360 connects fine via wireless and all of the hard drives I have. (I have 3 hard drives that I change out from time to time)

I read that xbox live gold is free this weekend and was perhaps thinking that may be an issue since that probably brings a lot more users online. However, my other 360 connects fine, so I think that theory goes out the window.

I'm curious if others have experienced the same issue before. I am not getting any red rings of death either. I just haven't heard of a 360 failing in this manner before and I doubt this 360 is still under warranty, so if I can't get it sorted looks like it will be going in the garbage or perhaps parted out.

Maybe live or my ISP made changes to the forwarding ports ? I've never had to forward ports before.
I have tried those suggestions. I even cleared system cache and system updates. My thread title is slightly misleading though and I couldn't edit the title. My 360 will connect to the internet, it won't connect to live or if it does it only stays connected for a couple minutes. My xbone connects fine.

As a last resort I hooked up my 360 via wireless adapter and it still won't connect. My other 360 connects fine via wireless and all of the hard drives I have. (I have 3 hard drives that I change out from time to time)

I read that xbox live gold is free this weekend and was perhaps thinking that may be an issue since that probably brings a lot more users online. However, my other 360 connects fine, so I think that theory goes out the window.

I'm curious if others have experienced the same issue before. I am not getting any red rings of death either. I just haven't heard of a 360 failing in this manner before and I doubt this 360 is still under warranty, so if I can't get it sorted looks like it will be going in the garbage or perhaps parted out.

Maybe live or my ISP made changes to the forwarding ports ? I've never had to forward ports before.
Originally Posted by MrGompers
try this connect your Xbox 360 console to Xbox Live using a Windows computer in place of a router http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...g/win-computer if that don't work its your xbox
I imagine you have a router/modem combo. Have you tried switching the problem xbox ethernet cable on it? The cable itself and the the port it connects to on the router/modem. If the problem persists then most likely its the xbox. Also is the tab on the ethernet in good condition/not broken, where it might wiggle on its own and not make contact with the xbox or router/modem?
Not Ethernet if wireless fails. Sounds like banned console to me.
Hook up a laptop/pc to the same cable that's hooked to the 360 and run a speedtest. Check for packet loss. I had an issue with packet loss awhile back causing the same problem. Had to be fixed by my ISP.
This sound interesting. I would say ISP or modem problem but as you stated your other 360 and X1 work wireless. I had issues with mine wireless then later wired but that was with a bad ISP company and on all.
Is the 360 in question an older model could be slowly dying. Hope you solve this I know how bad this sucks, Good Luck to you.
Well, you said it fails wired and wireless, and you said only this device fails, other devices function and connect to service without issue, it has to be the device. The fact that it shows the failure across both network connections on the device, I tend to agree with Kaens. (Neither of us is saying you did something wrong, or cause the console to get banned.)

Is this a recent acquisition of a used console?

I looked up your error code: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...-code-80151904

That doesn't really point me in any good direction, the trouble shooting might as well just been called "A Very Generic Guide to Trouble Shooting Connectivity Issues with an Internet Connected Device."
I'm using a console that I personally bought a long time ago, so it's not a used one I picked up at a garage sale. I did try to check if the console was banned, but it looks like that page doesn't work anymore. I would expect that if the console was banned I would receive some type of message. I do not engage in anything that would lead to a console band however.

The thing I find really weird is it was only this console that could not connect to live, but my other consoles and non gaming devices would connect to the internet fine. I tried every suggestion here, and I would have put money on having a bad Ethernet cable (I've had an HDMI cable fail before) but that wasn't it either.

After one hour on the phone with my ISP and numerous router and modem reboots the console connects and stays connected to live. I hate it when you know more than the help desk people who are trying to help you. I have no explanation why it connects now. My ISP did send a signal to my modem that perhaps released the stored MAC address ?

One thing that comes to mind is maybe the console was assigned an IP in the DHCP table that it DIDN'T like for some reason. I don't know why that would happen, but it was an issue with my old Linksys router. Usually solved by releasing the DHCP table - then renewing. I'm not an IT pro so I don't know if that makes any sense. Seems like any old IP would work as its assigned by the DHCP server.

Then again it may have been ghosts in the machine. Maybe I should sleep with one eye open now.
I may have spoke to soon. My xbone won't connect now. Looks like it is a bad port on the router. I changed ports and now xbone connects. I never would've guessed a port could fail. Perhaps its time to look for a new router. Any recommendations ?
I may have spoke to soon. My xbone won't connect now. Looks like it is a bad port on the router. I changed ports and now xbone connects. I never would've guessed a port could fail. Perhaps its time to look for a new router. Any recommendations ?
Originally Posted by MrGompers
For residential, I only buy Linksys/Cisco or D-Link, I know plenty of people that like Belkin, but, I never used them. I actually have been on router/modem hybrids for about 12 years now, though, so, my last experience is limited...
I looked up your error code: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...-code-80151904

That doesn't really point me in any good direction, the trouble shooting might as well just been called "A Very Generic Guide to Trouble Shooting Connectivity Issues with an Internet Connected Device."
Originally Posted by futiles
You should look at the Bungie help site for all of Noah's Arc's codes for why your internet sucks re: Destiny.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account