Nintendo Switch

Gaming Chat

Found 28 posts - Go to Last Post

Well, I pre-ordered mine just now. $300 for a home and portable console, that fits just fine in my plans.
I haven't seen any of the new coverage for the Switch. Is the handheld portion still about the size of a Sega Game Gear?
I haven't seen any of the new coverage for the Switch. Is the handheld portion still about the size of a Sega Game Gear?
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
It's been a long time since I held a game gear. But, to me, it looks more like an iPad Mini, in size. It is a 6.2 inch screen, and an iPad Mini is 7.9, so, somewhere between large phone and small tablet. Then with joy cons attached, a little bit larger.

I'll be taking some pics and whatever else I can at the end of the month. So, if I get hands on, I will post pics here.
It's been a long time since I held a game gear. But, to me, it looks more like an iPad Mini, in size. It is a 6.2 inch screen, and an iPad Mini is 7.9, so, somewhere between large phone and small tablet. Then with joy cons attached, a little bit larger.

I'll be taking some pics and whatever else I can at the end of the month. So, if I get hands on, I will post pics here.
Originally Posted by futiles
Cool; thanks.
I am torn. I may be most interested in a Sandbox Mario game, like a true sandbox Mario game, but then, Zelda...

(Oh and Skyrim, again!)
I am torn. I may be most interested in a Sandbox Mario game, like a true sandbox Mario game, but then, Zelda...

(Oh and Skyrim, again!)
That sounds epic!
That sounds epic!
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
Although, some of the things, like Arms and 1 2 Switch, look like they could be fun for the event I am going to in March, not long after launch.
It's kind of weird, for this to be coming out in March, I really haven't heard much about it. It looks ugly...but it's Nintendo, so I'm waiting on a full judgement. Honestly I think they should go the way of Sega, give up on the home consol and start licensing, then stick with the hand held, bit I guess this one is supposed to be what the Wii U was supposed to be,both handheld and home console. I think they are like the DCU. Lol.
It feels weird that it is coming out in March too since not much has been revealed about it. I'm still really interested in the Switch though and would love to get one at some point. I really love handheld consoles, and being able to play it on the TV as well is a bonus for me. A bunch of the game announcements are exciting to me as well like I am Seusuna, Project Octopath Traveler, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Taiko Drum Master, Tales, and Blazblue! Sadly I'm not sure when I could get one though since the console is going to be $400 here, and I can't really spend that much right now. Frown
It's kind of weird, for this to be coming out in March, I really haven't heard much about it. It looks ugly...but it's Nintendo, so I'm waiting on a full judgement. Honestly I think they should go the way of Sega, give up on the home consol and start licensing, then stick with the hand held, bit I guess this one is supposed to be what the Wii U was supposed to be,both handheld and home console. I think they are like the DCU. Lol.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Except that Sega only ever had the best selling console in one generation. Nintendo, on the other hand, has had the best selling console every other console generation. So, it makes sense for them to stay at it.

I am not sure I get the ugly comment, though. Other than the Dreamcast, I have never found a home console to be particularly interesting looking.
Everyone has a handheld gaming device in their pocket - their phone. This will be a huge failure and Nintendo will keep trying. I wish they would go the way of SEGA and become a cross platform developer, but I don't see that happening unfortunately because they are a toy maker and national pride.
Everyone has a handheld gaming device in their pocket - their phone. This will be a huge failure and Nintendo will keep trying. I wish they would go the way of SEGA and become a cross platform developer, but I don't see that happening unfortunately because they are a toy maker and national pride.
Originally Posted by Kaens
That's more of the way I was thinking, you just said it better. I think Nintendos time as a consol is done. I didn't buy there last three consoles' and I really don't see myself buying this one.
I hear this argument a lot, and I can appreciate the sentiment, but, since the 3DS continues to ship 1 Million units a quarter, worldwide, 6 years after release, there is still a very strong handheld market. Source

And, I have never seen solid evidence that phones hurt the handheld market. Rather, they appear to grow the overall mobile market. I know many people that game on their phone that never owned a handheld, so, that isn't really hurting Nintendo, is it?
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-th...son-1791177092

Interesting size comparison for the system.
Originally Posted by Dacoto
Thanks for that, Dacoto.
I hear this argument a lot, and I can appreciate the sentiment, but, since the 3DS continues to ship 1 Million units a quarter, worldwide, 6 years after release, there is still a very strong handheld market. Source

And, I have never seen solid evidence that phones hurt the handheld market. Rather, they appear to grow the overall mobile market. I know many people that game on their phone that never owned a handheld, so, that isn't really hurting Nintendo, is it?
Thanks for listing your source, firsts thing I notice is half of that comes from Japan, the other half is here. 500k a quarter is only 150k a month. Great considering the ages of the product, but they keep making new SKUs to keep the numbers going.

Re: you haven't seen it affect the market, well considering there is ONLY one product left, the 3DS. Now I don't have numbers, and I don't care to look for them, but here is what I know. All anecdotal and all personal experience.

1. A decade ago, my son, now 20, and all of his friends had GBAs, and played Pokemon and a few other games like crazy. Take them to the bus, take them to daycare, all playing them all the time. I took mine to work and played with coworkers, at least a dozen of us had them. We'd pull out the four way link cables at lunch and play several games. Now my daughter, who just turned 11, has a DSI and a 3DS, with a dozen games of her own and access to probably 50 of mine, never ever ever plays. She's on the phone non stop. Her and all of her friends, all play on their phones, and they played with their parents hand-me-down phones since they could barely walk. These kids were raised with a screen in their hands and it wasn't a 3DS. There are only so many devices one person wants to carry.

2. I always take my 3DS with me when I fly (only about 1-2 times a year). I would walk around the airport and hotel trying to get street pass people for my mini games. In the beginning, I could barely keep up clearing out the 10 mii limit and I would see adults and kids playing it. Last year when I flew to Boston, I got 2.. TWO.. people the entire trip. And as a result when I went to AZ for Xmas, I didn't even bother. I saw 0 kids playing it, but I saw many people actively playing Pokemon Go.

3. Parents (not enthusiast parents like you or I) can't keep up with DS, DSi, 3DS, 2DS, New 3DS. Which games work with what, and they cost $35-40 each. Versus, "Here's my old phone, I've loaded it with tons of free games"

4. In case you thought the reason my daughter wasn't into her 3DS is because she's a girl, well she has over 10k gamerscore, plays crazy amounts of Roblox, Minecraft, Wizards101, and now she's playing Neverwinter. She plays Sliter.io, Subway Surfers, and tons of other phone games. She watches tons of gaming on Youtube and even makes her own gaming videos (we don't publish them anywhere, she's too young for that). But if you still think that's not the way of the world these days, I have three nephews (8,12, and 15) who live three hours away in a completely different environment. They never play a Nintendo handheld, but the play on their tablets and phones. When he was 5 they were all over there playing Five Nights at Freddy's.

So I didn't go digging up numbers, but handhelds are dead. The only survivor is 3DS, and that has half to a quarter of the numbers it did only 5 years ago. And if I WAS going to dig up numbers, I'd find some software sales to prove my point.
Thanks for listing your source, firsts thing I notice is half of that comes from Japan, the other half is here. 500k a quarter is only 150k a month. Great considering the ages of the product, but they keep making new SKUs to keep the numbers going.

Re: you haven't seen it affect the market, well considering there is ONLY one product left, the 3DS. Now I don't have numbers, and I don't care to look for them, but here is what I know. All anecdotal and all personal experience.

1. A decade ago, my son, now 20, and all of his friends had GBAs, and played Pokemon and a few other games like crazy. Take them to the bus, take them to daycare, all playing them all the time. I took mine to work and played with coworkers, at least a dozen of us had them. We'd pull out the four way link cables at lunch and play several games. Now my daughter, who just turned 11, has a DSI and a 3DS, with a dozen games of her own and access to probably 50 of mine, never ever ever plays. She's on the phone non stop. Her and all of her friends, all play on their phones, and they played with their parents hand-me-down phones since they could barely walk. These kids were raised with a screen in their hands and it wasn't a 3DS. There are only so many devices one person wants to carry.

2. I always take my 3DS with me when I fly (only about 1-2 times a year). I would walk around the airport and hotel trying to get street pass people for my mini games. In the beginning, I could barely keep up clearing out the 10 mii limit and I would see adults and kids playing it. Last year when I flew to Boston, I got 2.. TWO.. people the entire trip. And as a result when I went to AZ for Xmas, I didn't even bother. I saw 0 kids playing it, but I saw many people actively playing Pokemon Go.

3. Parents (not enthusiast parents like you or I) can't keep up with DS, DSi, 3DS, 2DS, New 3DS. Which games work with what, and they cost $35-40 each. Versus, "Here's my old phone, I've loaded it with tons of free games"

4. In case you thought the reason my daughter wasn't into her 3DS is because she's a girl, well she has over 10k gamerscore, plays crazy amounts of Roblox, Minecraft, Wizards101, and now she's playing Neverwinter. She plays Sliter.io, Subway Surfers, and tons of other phone games. She watches tons of gaming on Youtube and even makes her own gaming videos (we don't publish them anywhere, she's too young for that). But if you still think that's not the way of the world these days, I have three nephews (8,12, and 15) who live three hours away in a completely different environment. They never play a Nintendo handheld, but the play on their tablets and phones. When he was 5 they were all over there playing Five Nights at Freddy's.

So I didn't go digging up numbers, but handhelds are dead. The only survivor is 3DS, and that has half to a quarter of the numbers it did only 5 years ago. And if I WAS going to dig up numbers, I'd find some software sales to prove my point.

I would never consider 4. Not sure what I would have ever said to make you think that.

The handheld market has always been a 1-horse town, though.

Gameboy had a few opponents over time, none ever amounted to anything.

Lynx and Gamegear and Nomad and TurboGraphix 16. All were actually solid hardware, but, yeah, it always seems a 1-device show.

Later GBA and DS had to deal with the likes of the PSP, and the PSVita, and even the Nokia N-Gage (damn, I had to really think about that one for a bit, could not remember the name).

And currently the 3DS, and it's red-headed mutant cousin the 2DS.

I do believe we live in a time of 3 electronic game market spaces.

Home - Your PC and Console space, not likely to go anywhere just yet. It will likely evolve, but, I think it is in the form we are going to see for a while.

Portable - The classic handheld space. Little more advanced than you tablet/phone games, but, not quite home gaming. I think this is the one most apt to a great change, including possible death, right now. And I think the Switch is the start of that. Good or bad.

Mobile - The new, but very popular, kid in the neighborhood. Yes, lots and lots of people play lots and lots of mobile games, but, the vast majority of them are fillers (to steal a term from my tabletop world). Basically games to play between other things.

But, I like the idea of the Switch pushing a merger of the first two. Something I have been hoping to see MS do with its Win10 environment and play anywhere.
Home - Your PC and Console space, not likely to go anywhere just yet. It will likely evolve, but, I think it is in the form we are going to see for a while.

Portable - The classic handheld space. Little more advanced than you tablet/phone games, but, not quite home gaming. I think this is the one most apt to a great change, including possible death, right now. And I think the Switch is the start of that. Good or bad.

Mobile - The new, but very popular, kid in the neighborhood. Yes, lots and lots of people play lots and lots of mobile games, but, the vast majority of them are fillers (to steal a term from my tabletop world). Basically games to play between other things.
Well you know I respect your opinion, I however have a different one. I do not believe the "portable" exists anymore because I don't see it. Anywhere, I don't hear about any buzz for any games, the only thing I see (and I'm in TONS of Facebook groups) is collectors excited about getting a special edition, which they put out many various ones. I believe people have a home console and/or PC and a phone/tablet for mobile.

To me, this is exactly like mid 2000s. I used to carry every day, these items to work...

Yes I know how cool I was, please don't shower praise on me. But then in 2007 I switched to this..

I didn't have to storage space of my 80GB iPod, the push to talk features of phone, or the quality of my camera, but it had one thing - convenience.
Well you know I respect your opinion, I however have a different one. I do not believe the "portable" exists anymore because I don't see it. Anywhere, I don't hear about any buzz for any games, the only thing I see (and I'm in TONS of Facebook groups) is collectors excited about getting a special edition, which they put out many various ones. I believe people have a home console and/or PC and a phone/tablet for mobile.

To me, this is exactly like mid 2000s. I used to carry every day, these items to work...

Yes I know how cool I was, please don't shower praise on me. But then in 2007 I switched to this..

I didn't have to storage space of my 80GB iPod, the push to talk features of phone, or the quality of my camera, but it had one thing - convenience.
Things might be where I see it. Conventions.

I do a lot of conventions, and that may very well be swaying my view.

When I go to GenCon, I see handhelds. But not only AT GenCon. I saw them at DFW, at KCI on my layover, at IND. In downtown Indy. At GenCon.

When I go to PAX South, I mean, they have a Handheld Lounge, so, maybe I am asking to see it there.

When I go to ELU.

And these rooms aren't any smaller, nor less crowded, nor less hyped to be there.

So, it could be perception.

But, I DO see mobile gaming in addition to the rest. And I love that.
Also, I don't think portable fills the same mode it used to. I do think mobile fills some of that, now.

But, when I travel, for real, I see portable gaming.

But yeah, doctor's office, waiting room, sitting on the shitter (WP). Those are mobile experiences.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account