Microsoft is opening up its Xbox Live online service to gamers on other platforms

Gaming Chat

Found 24 posts - Go to Last Post

In a move that’s up there with Sonic the Hedgehog appearing next to Super Mario in a video game, Microsoft announced this morning on its Xbox blog that it’s opening up the Xbox Live online platform — the service you use to play games online through an Xbox One or Xbox 360 — to every platform.

First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

That’s a huge move.

It means games like “Destiny” or “Call of Duty” could be played online, together, by players who are on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. It means Microsoft is putting the ball in Sony’s court on doing the right thing: making as many cross-platform games as possible playable across both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Think about the situation right now: you buy this year’s “Call of Duty” on Xbox One, and your buddy buys it on PlayStation 4. You want to play the game online together, but you can’t. It’s the same game, with the same online modes. The only reason you can’t play the game online together is because you’re on different platforms, and the platform-makers — Sony and Microsoft — don’t allow you to play games online with people on the rival’s platform.

That’s dumb. Microsoft is saying, “We agree. That is dumb. Enough.”, and enabling game makers who are developing games for both platforms — the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One — to allow online play across both. Rad!

“Destiny” is a ridiculously popular first-person shooter on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Players scour the universe in search of content to enjoy. (Bungie)

Considering Microsoft and Sony’s long rivalry between Xbox and PlayStation, this is a pretty major philosophical shift. It’s a smart move from a company that’s putting up a solid fight against the PlayStation 4′s continued dominance in sales (over 36 million sold). Frankly, we’re excited to see what comes of this from Sony’s side; we reached out and haven’t heard back just yet.

In the meantime, “Rocket League” is getting cross-platform support for online play between Xbox One and PC. Bizarrely, the game already has cross-platform support between PlayStation 4 and PC, just not between all three platforms. Rather, PlayStation 4 players can play with PC players, and Xbox One players can play with PC players, but Xbox One and PlayStation 4 players can’t play together. Which is just as silly as it sounds.

Maybe “Rocket League” will be the first game in a new, consumer-first paradigm where you can simply play games with your friends regardless of what platform they bought the game on! Fingers crossed, but maybe don’t bet on it.
Last edited 03-15-2016 at 10:25 AM by P3.
One step closer to my dream of Nintendo games being on XBL. I'll be earning those Zelda achievements in no time!
One step closer to my dream of Nintendo games being on XBL. I'll be earning those Zelda achievements in no time!
Originally Posted by Kaens
Keep the dream alive....
Please remember to like your source....

I wonder if this is partly to do with more people going to Sony now... It would be really bizarre to cross play with Sony players... They would complain about our superior controllers... and we would all complain about those mouse users...

I wonder if this is partly to do with more people going to Sony now... It would be really bizarre to cross play with Sony players... They would complain about our superior controllers... and we would all complain about those mouse users...
Originally Posted by Fshguy
That is exactly what i was thinking... PC gamers can have the upper hand advantage in this with the mouse..
ugh yall might be forgetting that world of tanks was the 1st game to do this when the x1 version was released last august n since then jan 15th the ps4 version was released. when u go into a game on tanks now you are playing againest ppl on ps4,x360,pc n xbox 1 all at the same time. this is the reason ms is opening it up for other games
b4 u say 1st on something plz check other news ty
b4 u say 1st on something plz check other news ty
Originally Posted by ky pro 2008
\

World of Tanks is only cross play between 360 and One!

This new-gen release of Wargaming's popular online action game, which launched last year for Xbox 360, is available for pre-download on Xbox One via Xbox Live, and will support cross-platform play between the Xbox One and Xbox 360 versions.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/...-platform-play

like your source
like or link?
Playable on XBL != Achievements...
Here I thought I might be able to play Windows mobile games on my iPhone. Bah...
Playable on XBL != Achievements...
Originally Posted by futiles
I know, thus the "one step closer". I'm going to continue to say that XBox is the superior online system, Nintendo does it sooo poorly, they just need to open it up and let Nintendo make their games/consoles work with gamertag and achievements.
I was talking about this in my early xbox live days, its a good feature that may lead to something cool.
I know, thus the "one step closer". I'm going to continue to say that XBox is the superior online system, Nintendo does it sooo poorly, they just need to open it up and let Nintendo make their games/consoles work with gamertag and achievements.
Wouldn't that be something Nintendo teaming up with Microsoft for console releases since Sony didn't work out, there would be a huge rush for X1 if it ever happened.
Sony Says Universal Cross-Platform 'All About What The Developers And Publishers Want'

I'm glad to see Sony and Microsoft let this finally happen....
Originally Posted by QuiCkz Ninja
it is up to the Developers
it is up to the Developers
Originally Posted by Myuseru Foaran
its amazing how fast things get miss interpreted, the first hurdle to get over is if they can and are willing to work together. Sony has NOT said yes or no yet, just that they are willing to talk about it.

Sony Boss: Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Cross-Network Play Could be Blocked by “Policy and Business Issues”
http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...%EF%BF%BD.html
its amazing how fast things get miss interpreted, the first hurdle to get over is if they can and are willing to work together. Sony has NOT said yes or no yet, just that they are willing to talk about it.

Sony Boss: Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Cross-Network Play Could be Blocked by “Policy and Business Issues”
http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...%EF%BF%BD.html
Originally Posted by Sith Rick
In other words, don't call us, we'll call you... When the Cubs win the World Series... Which could actually happen... I mean, when the Lions win the Super Bowl... how's that? Sorry....
when the Lions win the Super Bowl... how's that? Sorry....
Super Bowl? We would be happy to just make and win a playoff game!
In other words, don't call us, we'll call you... When the Cubs win the World Series... Which could actually happen... I mean, when the Lions win the Super Bowl... how's that? Sorry....
Microsoft wants to do this by Summer time.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account