Found 20 posts - Go to Last Post

Completed
I would just simply like the site to add MOBA to the genre list (for games such as SMITE)

I mean, Equestrian & Dodgeball have their own genres...
Last edited 12-15-2016 at 06:50 PM by GTN Eric.
Status changed to 'Under Review' - Aside from SMITE, do you have any other examples of games that would fall under the MOBA genre? I will review this soon.
Status changed to 'Under Review' - Aside from SMITE, do you have any other examples of games that would fall under the MOBA genre? I will review this soon.
Originally Posted by GTN Eric
Exactly, there aren't enough MOBAs to care on anything but PC. However then he pointed out Dodgeball has it's own and if tha'ts true then damn the floodgates are open!
Awesomenauts
https://www.gamertagnation.com/games/game-1532/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awesomenauts

Awesomenauts Assemble
https://www.gamertagnation.com/games/game-3760/

Guardians of Middle-earth
https://www.gamertagnation.com/games/game-1964/

& SMITE of course

That makes 4 games just from some quick research.

(This isn't even counting the many iffy games that I can think of off of my head such a Battleborn. Which is just a little bit more of an FPS than a MOBA, I guess...)

Edit: There are only 3 games in the dodgeball genre, with the most played only having 70 total gamers.
Last edited 12-16-2016 at 07:37 PM by PangoBara.
Couldn't games such as The Division and or Defiance also be considered for this as well?
Defiance is more of a MMO like Destiny. Not sure on The Division.
Couldn't games such as The Division and or Defiance also be considered for this as well?
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
The Division would have more in common with an online Sandbox/Shooter than a MOBA. I mean, if you broke it down into the simplest terms, then any online PvP game would be a MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena).

Star Wars Battlefront and the older Battlefield titles would actually fall into MOBA genre. One of the usual main points of MOBAs is you play a specific character, on a single map, attempting to reduce enemy control points/spawn towers, with use of AI support.

That is why MOBA started out as ARTS, Action Real Time Strategy, since they developed out of the RTS genre.
The Division would have more in common with an online Sandbox/Shooter than a MOBA. I mean, if you broke it down into the simplest terms, then any online PvP game would be a MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena).

Star Wars Battlefront and the older Battlefield titles would actually fall into MOBA genre. One of the usual main points of MOBAs is you play a specific character, on a single map, attempting to reduce enemy control points/spawn towers, with use of AI support.

That is why MOBA started out as ARTS, Action Real Time Strategy, since they developed out of the RTS genre.
Originally Posted by futiles
That actually describes The Division, you can play solo but you can also connect to a team and take out control points/missions, but it does have a single player campaign aspect to it, although it is a lot harder playing alone and encourages team play. I can see your point though of the MOBA genre getting out of control.. maybe it would be considered a secondary genre?
That's why 2 of the games I mentioned literally say MOBA in their description on the website.

(Awesomenauts doesn't, but Awesomenauts: Assemble says that it's a MOBA and that "The 2D multiplayer game that started it all is back!" so it's basically saying that Awesomenauts is one)
That actually describes The Division, you can play solo but you can also connect to a team and take out control points/missions, but it does have a single player campaign aspect to it, although it is a lot harder playing alone and encourages team play. I can see your point though of the MOBA genre getting out of control.. maybe it would be considered a secondary genre?
Does it have AI helpers/minions? I mean, that is a huge aspect of MOBAs. I haven't played Division, but, everything I have seen or read on it, it looks way more like a sandbox shooter, all action, no RTS. Of course, Overwatch is probably making that even more fuzzy, since it was designed as a shooter version of the MOBA genre. There is another one, too, is it Battleborn? The Gearbox game, it was also designed as a FPS version of a MOBA.

The Division, on the other hand, was designed more as an RPG/Sandbox/Shooter. Do they have similarities? Sure, but, then again, any PvP FPS mode other than straight Deathmatch is going to "resemble" MOBA, because of tower control/checkpoint/King of the Hill/etc.
Ok, well no The Division doesn't have AI minions, so if that is a requirement then that would rule it out, as for Battleborn, I do have that one, but have not started it. I do not have Overwatch though.
Ok, well no The Division doesn't have AI minions, so if that is a requirement then that would rule it out, as for Battleborn, I do have that one, but have not started it. I do not have Overwatch though.
Battleborn is very, very, very iffy. It has a large amount of MOBA elements, but is mainly just considered a class based shooter

Overwatch isn't a MOBA, it's just a class based shooter. You need some AI creeps
Battleborn is very, very, very iffy. It has a large amount of MOBA elements, but is mainly just considered a class based shooter

Overwatch isn't a MOBA, it's just a class based shooter. You need some AI creeps
Originally Posted by MetalGearFR33N0
Right, like I said, they were designed as the Shooter version of MOBAs. That is directly from the developers mouths.
I wouldn't think that having an isometric view is necessary requirement for a MOBA.
Btw, now that I've actually owned Battleborn for awhile now.
It is a MOBA, unless having a campaign excludes it
Btw, now that I've actually owned Battleborn for awhile now.
It is a MOBA, unless having a campaign excludes it
Originally Posted by MetalGearFR33N0
I wouldn't say doomed, i guess it could be, but GTN has a way of being particular and it just may need some more games before the green light and/or it may already be in que? Until Eric post and changes a label it's not over.
My list so far:
Awesomenauts

Awesomenauts Assemble

Guardians of Middle-earth

SMITE

Battleborn

Guilty Gear 2: Overture

Monday Night Combat

Super Monday Night Combat

Gigantic

King of Wushu (Not yet released)
Status changed from 'Under Review' to 'Planned' - Thank you for putting together a list of gamss that fall under the MOBA genre. I will add this genre and reclassify the games mentioned above.
Status changed from 'Planned' to 'Completed'

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account