NFL Football discussion (2014/2015 season)

Sports

I watched Marcus Allen tear my team up in 1984 Frown We were 14-2 and defending Super Bowl champs that year and it was crushing to me. Fortunately I got over it in 1987 and 1991 :hugegrin:

I do wish for my kids they could see the Skins do well, but my wife who is life long Steelers fan is successfully stealing their hearts from my grasp! People like winners.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Yes, I tell my kid that it is much easier to be a Saints fan outside of New Orleans now, than it was when I was his age,
Only ONE NATION HERE, THE RAIDER NATION! Goes along with the GAMER TAG NATION.....sweet!
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I would absolutely LOVE if the Raiders moved to San Antonio. I know there is a 0.00001% chance of it happening but its better than 0%. They have always been my 2nd favorite/back up team and I am the weird one in my family for being a Dolphins fan, but I do like the Raiders.
Holy hell, did this guy read my earlier post before writing this "article" on Deadspin?

Why Your Team Sucks 2014: Oakland Raiders (Most of them are pretty entertaining. Broncos will be tomorrow.)
This is the year the Lions will get it done!
This is the year the Lions will get it done!
Originally Posted by Sith Rick
^this

(10 character minimum)
^this

(10 character minimum)
Originally Posted by pTartTX
A long as "it done" is winning a lot of games early, lifting up your hopes and then dashing them against the rocks of despair... Wish for the Lions's sake that it wasn't always this way...
A long as "it done" is winning a lot of games early, lifting up your hopes and then dashing them against the rocks of despair... Wish for the Lions's sake that it wasn't always this way...
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Dolphins' Style is much easier, when you can start thinking about the Miami Heat's next season by week 4.

Oh...

Wait..

Sorry.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Just one year, just one year, I would like to see the Lions make it to the Super Bowl, since they are one of few teams to never make it. If they ever did, the entire state of Michigan would break out into a riot, and probably overtake Ohio.
Just one year, just one year, I would like to see the Lions make it to the Super Bowl, since they are one of few teams to never make it. If they ever did, the entire state of Michigan would break out into a riot, and probably overtake Ohio.
Originally Posted by pTartTX
FUN FACT:

The Lions are the ONLY team to be active during every year of the Super Bowl era, and have not had a single appearance.
FUN FACT:

The Lions are the ONLY team to be active during every year of the Super Bowl era, and have not had a single appearance.
Originally Posted by futiles
And that's with the greatest running back of all time.
And that's with the greatest running back of all time.
While not exactly a fact, yes, I agree that on many other teams, Barry Sanders would likely have ended with a ring.
While not exactly a fact, yes, I agree that on many other teams, Barry Sanders would likely have ended with a ring.
It's an opinion. I think there is more to a back than sticking around for 20 years and having a great line. Yeah, if you think I'm giving that guy from Dallas and credit as a lifelong Skins fan you've lost your damn mind. Screw that guy.
It's an opinion. I think there is more to a back than sticking around for 20 years and having a great line. Yeah, if you think I'm giving that guy from Dallas and credit as a lifelong Skins fan you've lost your damn mind. Screw that guy.
I have no idea who you are talking about, you lost me with Dallas.

I was thinking Walter Payton.
Sweetness was pretty good. I'd still prefer Barry.
FUN FACT:

Just making the playoffs is like winning the Super Bowl around here!
1 more this decade than the Raiders.

And you cannot argue against my statement. The Raiders, since the Superbowl loss to Tampa Bay, have the worse Win-Loss record, worst contract decisions, worst draft picks, and worst coaching continuity than any of the other 32 teams. (I actually like the Raiders, but, that doesn't make the past decade any better.)

Did you know that the Raiders actually had an effective salary cap of under $65 Million the last few years, when every other team was in the $120+ Million area? Do you know why? Because of contracts with signing bonuses spread across 3-5 years of players they cut after 1 or 2. The dead money on 2012 was actually more than the active money. That is BAD front office, and a front office that started and stopped with Al Davis means he was to blame. Any owner that has a hotline to the Coordinators, and can override the head coaches decisions is a bad situation.

Now, my statement was tongue-in-cheek, because you compared the site to the Raiders, but have you ever watched your team win a Super Bowl, or are those titles just in the narrative you inherited?

I grew up watching my team suck, live and in person for decades. Now they are good, and I love it. We used to be the team that lived on everyone's castaways. I had a New Orleans Saints Ken Stabler jersey, and people were convinced that somehow a worn out QB was going to be the salvation. We had TWO Billy Joes' playing QB at the same time, and we really thought that giving 1.5 drafts (not picks, drafts, all 7 picks one year and 3 the next) to Washington for the opportunity to ruin Ricky WIlliams was the one piece keeping us from a Super Bowl. I know what awful looks like. I am a certified shitfootballologist, and for the past decade, that IS the Raiders.

Good news:

Al Davis is gone.
Your head coach is actually being given time to get a team together
I think you have less than $15M in dead cap money (Meaning you have more cap available than Dallas or Washington, and could spend about what the Chiefs are spending - THAT'S HUGE!)
You division is decent, but your conference is currently the softer of the two (it's cyclical, the AFC will be strong again in a couple of years, and spend 3-6 on top), and it is always good to be a recovering team in the softer conference (Would be nicer to be in the AFC East, where it is Patriots and garbage, but, you can't make that choice)
Your Division provided THREE of the six playoff spots! (HALF!) So, you figure out a way to trade places with San Diego, and you are golden.

Now, feel free to throw some trash talk back, but comparing the 70s Raiders to the 10's Saints is silly. It kind of makes you sound like a Dolphins fan, and as it is, I already sent a Dolphins' fan Saints booties for his kid. (Love you Fryhole!)
Hey I was just using my American right to voice my support for my team like everyone else and you have to single my comment out for ridicule.

I hope you didn't take my lack of replying as conceding of defeat. Where exactly are you getting your facts, The national Inquirer? I love when people get all "My team one a Super Bowl! You won once! Yes I admit your team has made it to the Super Bowl one more time than mine, this decade, I admit we have a bad win loss for the time being, but we don't have the worst win loss and I'm not comparing the 70's Raiders to the 10's Saints, I'm comparing the entire franchise's to each other. Every team has it's it ups and downs but according to the facts, in which I'm using The Raiders well out distance the Saints as Dynasty. Do you know the top worst NFL100 teams off all time , The Raiders make the list, once... and the Saints make the list too, four times! Lets be fare and check the top best NFL 100 teams of all time, the Saints are there, four times!...and the Raiders make it on an astounding eight times Lets look at NFL Playoff streaks, The Saints only have a single year streak. while the Raiders have a six year streak. The Raiders have five Super Bowl appearances and wining three of them with the Saints winning their single Super Bowl appearance hey good for them! Looks like the Raiders are double anything that the Saints have accomplished. Ok but really how do they stack against each other, when they play against each other: Well, well, look at this, The Saints have won six times over the Raiders and the Raiders have won five times over the Saints and they even had draw game against each other way back when... Not shabby.. but still I think the numbers speak for themselves. Over all the Raiders are a better team.

You see you stuck your foot in to my business when I was simply "tongue and checking" a comment just as you were, but since you had to go all hey look at my team is way better now and yours sucks and get defensive I felt the need to retort with my simple fact. To your question, I am 40 years old and have been watching the Riders play for probably over half of that. Yes I watched them move from Oakland to LA and back again, Yes I did watch my Raiders blow away a few Super Bowl NFL records against the ill fated Redskins and I also watched in utter horror as the Buckaneers destroyed them, (really they should have just threw out the play book, since Jon Gruden wrote it for them and played by ear, would have been way more exciting, but we got our just revenge when six years later my Raiders eliminated the Bucs from play offs and sealed Grudens fate. I believe Jim Plunkett should be in the NFL Football Hall of Fame.

Now currently the Raiders are pretty much sucking at this point, but mark my words it won't last and who knows maybe this year we'll see them get back into their winning ways.

Now with this being said, I do have a soft spot for the Saints, they were my brothers favorite team. I don't dislike them, I could venture to guess they would be my 3rd favorite of all the teams, Raiders being first of course and I kinda like the Steelers.. (It's really just a zombie thing...lol) but in all fairness to you. I don't take away from anyone who will defend their team, Win Lose or Draw.

Hey you invited me back to trash talk, I'm not worried about salary caps or any of that, I just care about the Win/Loss and now you can't argue my facts.
Oooooo don't mess with B8tingU's Raiders!
Let's see:

I said the Saints sucked, for a long time.

I said the Raiders suck now.

I said the Raiders had a lot of reasons to look up and be positive about the future.

And in no way is any of that refuted.

So...

(Oh, and not caring about the salary cap means not understanding just how important it is, and what factor it has played for your team.)

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account