What do you think of achievements/trophies 💎🏆

General Chat

Found 10 posts - Go to Last Post

Featured Poll

What do you think of achievements/trophies?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 24 (75.00%) Still love them

× 7 (21.88%) They're OK

× 1 (3.13%) I don't care. I'm just here for the poll.

× 0 (0%) I hate them

× 0 (0%) Other (please state in the comments)

• Added 08-02-2022 09:14 PM
  • 32 votes
It's been about 17 years since the Xbox 360 released and achievements became a normal thing in gaming. Sony soon followed suit by adding trophies to PlayStation games. So, nearly 20 years later, what do you think of achievements and trophies in games?
to be honest i like achievements the gratification of something after doing something specific is cool, to be fair i have played alot of games because of achievements and there has been games i said nope to after seeing the achievement list :::coughncaafootball12cough:::
to be honest i like achievements the gratification of something after doing something specific is cool, to be fair i have played alot of games because of achievements and there has been games i said nope to after seeing the achievement list :::coughncaafootball12cough:::
Originally Posted by DXU
That is the same reason I did not buy into Gears of War 3+. The requirements where just to much of a time sink. That and I didn't care for the gameplay.
That is the same reason I did not buy into Gears of War 3+. The requirements where just to much of a time sink. That and I didn't care for the gameplay.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
I admit that this is also the reason why I haven't played any game in the series after 3. But, given how I'll never get 100% completion on my tag, I may as well give them a chance now Lol

Initially I was enamored with the idea of achievements because I was the guy who kept his GTA 3 save file so I could show that I'd gotten 100% or a Triple Perfect Insane Stunt bonus, etc. Achievements seemed like the way to show that stuff off without having to keep full game saves of old games. I'm not opposed to them now, but I do see a lot of achievements based on blind luck or ridiculous goals (Gears' "Seriously" achievements, I'm looking at you here) as well as "shovelware" just thrown out there that let you get massive GS in a matter of minutes. I see people gaming to get GS rather to enjoy their games. I'm as guilty as the next given that I've been involved in lots of boosting sessions, including for the infamous Seriously achievements. Yes, as you can tell, I hate those Lol
bad thing about achievements is the completionist in me hates having so many unearned achievements due to closed servers, glitched or whatever. i have had conversations with my brother about would i have still played games if it wasn't for achievements and there's a handful i would have probably picked up, but at that matter if there was a way to pay to 0 out earned achievements there is only 1 that i would do that and it would be the only achievement in mega man 9 that i have i was just about to give up completely on that game when i killed the 1000 enemy and pop. my refusal to play ncaa 12 when i had played everything before it was 1 achievement and that was independence because i am a fan of the university of utah and there was not gonna be in way in hell i would have ever played with provo state (utah's rival) and win a national championship
It's discouraging when I run into achievements that are way too difficult to be realistic, but I do think achievements overall have encouraged me to try parts of a game I would have skipped otherwise. It feels like you get to experience more of what the developers wanted when they put all that work in
The achievements are gratifying to see how you complete the game 100%... BUT

Lately, Xbox sells you games that can't be completed...
with Broken Achievements or impossible to obtain because there are no servers in the games they sell you... they don't care.

a shame
After all these years I still love achievements but I only concentrate on the single player achievements. I'm not into the multiplayer achievements so I don't worry too much on completing my games 100%.
I am a fan of Achievements that live up to their name.

I am not a fan of achievements in games that require purchase of a game and no effort.
I get a lot of free stuff - from everyone from Nacon to EastAsiaSoft - so I play a lot of games of variable quality. Like most people, I had no idea Xitilon and the like would start throwing 5k around like sweets, but what am I going to do when I already own the games? not get the free 4k extra?

But on the whole, I like games regardless of achievements. It's nice to have a record of what I've played and the challenges I've overcome, but the game always come first.

In fact, these last few days, I've been working my way through the Ultima series (again). Not to mention my huge collection of "retro" software.

I don't need achievements in my games, but I prefer my achievements to have a proper game attached to them.
Last edited 09-16-2022 at 06:41 AM by C64 Mat.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account