Found 15 posts - Go to Last Post

When a movie comes out in 3D do you...

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 2 (4.55%) See it only in 3D or I don't see it at all

× 6 (13.64%) I only see certain films in 3D

× 14 (31.82%) I don't care either way, I'll catch which ever when I am buying my ticket

× 10 (22.73%) I try to stay away from films with this gimmick

× 12 (27.27%) I absolutly Hate 3D films, all flash and no substance

• Added 10-07-2013 03:05 AM
  • 44 votes
We are deep in the 3D movie trend. I personally hate it as I have always seen it as a gimmick. So I was wondering what the consensus was with my fellow GTN members.
So 3D has been around at least since the 70s, it's always been a gimmick and damn movie companies keep trying to force that shit down our throats. My wife and I refuse to go to any of them, not because they cost more, but because we don't like them. We got to Avatar kinda late and she left 40 mins in, said it was the worst movie she's ever seen and that was the last one we've been to. We go further away for kids movies that aren't in 3D.
I have no interest in the 3D gimmick, I'd rather just watch the movie as it's intended. I may make an exception for Gravity, but that's about it.
I can't stand 3D movies. They don't look any better and they give me massive head aches.
I don't care for them, but I'll see certain ones if I have enjoyed it a second time in 3D, if I want to. Gravity, for example. Or Tron sequel. Otherwise, meh.
Not a fan of this at all!
Originally Posted by roce96
The thread, or...? Oh, nm, it was an option. I'm dumb.
The thread, or...? Oh, nm, it was an option. I'm dumb.
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
I meant 3D movies, guess I could have gone into more detail. I wouldn't bash the topic of a thread.
Depends, was the movie filmed in 3D? I am the same way with IMAX.

I look up what cameras were used, what refresh rate they filmed at, format and aspect ratio, audio mix, and I go to the theater that matches.

Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises filmed action sequences on IMAX cameras, and that format is taller than a regular theater or even you home setup, so, I went to IMAX.

Hobbit was filmed in 4K on 48fps cameras, utilizing true stereoscopic lens.

All Marvel movies are digital cinema 2D, with after photography 3D conversion, so, I watch those in a 2D theater.

I go wherever the directors initial vision will be best interpreted.

Honestly, The Phantom Menace is the only 2D-to-3D conversion I have been impressed with...
I never considered it that way Futiles. Watching a movie from the directors perspective and intention. I'll have to include that in my contemplations of film watching now that you've allowed the thought to enter my mind. Thanks, really.

Having seen a fantastic film like Gravity in a 2d theater, knowing full well it was meant for IMAX 3d, I think I am now obligated to witness it in the directors intentional glory. Hmm.

Hobbit was filmed in 4K on 48fps cameras, utilizing true stereoscopic lens.

I go wherever the directors initial vision will be best interpreted.

Honestly, The Phantom Menace is the only 2D-to-3D conversion I have been impressed with...
Originally Posted by futiles
Phantom Menace Really? I was not a fan of the 3D for that movie and was glad they scrapped the rest of the films. I also saw Titanic in 3D and I would rather have just seen the movie as it was instead of the 3D.

Now Avatar which was intended to really utilize the 3D I saw first in 2D. Story and effects were great without the 3D. I did go check it out a 2nd time in 3D and from my recollection now I just remember the colors of the planet maybe being more vibrant and if I never saw it in 3D i would have been fine. I did get one small instance of feeling unbalance when they were all emerging from their cryo beds.

I got stuck seeing The Hobbit in 3D, honestly did not notice a big difference between the film and Avatar.

Not sure if your experiences were any different being that you are more in tune with that stuff.
Let me also add that I saw Prometheus in 2D verses 3D and that film is a turd of a movie. I imagine that the film would have been more tolerable in 3D, I just was not going to pay for a second viewing.

I watched Dredd on Netflix the other day. The movie was ok, but again this is another movie that utilizes 3D during the drug taking sequences. It might have been interesting to see how that played out in 3D.

In the end I rather see a really good movie that holds up over time, then a gimmick.
Let me also add that I saw Prometheus in 2D verses 3D and that film is a turd of a movie. I imagine that the film would have been more tolerable in 3D, I just was not going to pay for a second viewing.

I watched Dredd on Netflix the other day. The movie was ok, but again this is another movie that utilizes 3D during the drug taking sequences. It might have been interesting to see how that played out in 3D.

In the end I rather see a really good movie that holds up over time, then a gimmick.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Dredd in 3D for the slo-mo scenes is actually pretty cool. Worth checking it out someday.
Dredd in 3D for the slo-mo scenes is actually pretty cool. Worth checking it out someday.
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
Yeah, It looked cool just in 2D. I just imagine a lot of sparkles floating around the screen.
Phantom Menace Really? I was not a fan of the 3D for that movie and was glad they scrapped the rest of the films. I also saw Titanic in 3D and I would rather have just seen the movie as it was instead of the 3D.

Now Avatar which was intended to really utilize the 3D I saw first in 2D. Story and effects were great without the 3D. I did go check it out a 2nd time in 3D and from my recollection now I just remember the colors of the planet maybe being more vibrant and if I never saw it in 3D i would have been fine. I did get one small instance of feeling unbalance when they were all emerging from their cryo beds.

I got stuck seeing The Hobbit in 3D, honestly did not notice a big difference between the film and Avatar.

Not sure if your experiences were any different being that you are more in tune with that stuff.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts

The Phantom Menace 3d was intended to create a stage effect. There was no need for things to "come out of the screen" as that is just gimmicky garbage. However, TPM was able to truly create a depth-of-field presence, and actually make the backstage effects appear further than the forward scene. It is the only converted movie to actually appear like it was filmed in 3D.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account