How do you collect entertainment media?

General Chat

Found 9 posts - Go to Last Post

How do you collect media? (Multiple Choice)

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 13 (61.90%) Games - Physical

× 20 (95.24%) Games - Digital

× 7 (33.33%) Music - Physical

× 13 (61.90%) Music - Digital

× 10 (47.62%) Films - Physical

× 10 (47.62%) Films - Digital

× 6 (28.57%) TV - Physical

× 11 (52.38%) TV - Digital

• Added 11-21-2022 09:29 PM
  • 21 votes
  • Multiple choice enabled
I still LOVE to have a physical release where possible, as long as it's a proper one. By that I mean, there's no point collecting a disc if it's essentially just a small license file for a massive download. If it's a proper game on a disc, then I'm all for it.

Despite that, convenience and the huge surge in indie developers has meant I have a massive digital library.

With music, as long as I can get FLAC or other lossless formats, I'm fine. I do love the sound of a vinyl records though! Really can't beat that warmth, not to mention the wide dynamic scale.

Films, I'm happy to watch on demand for most things, but if it's something I love, I'll own it the best way possible. This has meant going from video cassettes to DVDs, BRs and finally 4K HDR BRs. Even when streaming is advertised as 4k, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as a disc copy.

What do you guys do?

I prefer physical media, but am willing to get digital versions from time to time. Typically when I get a movie/tv show, I'll try to get a disc that comes with a digital copy. For music, if I want the full album, I usually get the physical version and then rip it to digital. I'll buy the physical games as much as possible, though sometimes it's cheaper to get a digital version (plus Games with Gold 360 games were free, so I couldn't turn those down lol).

P.S. I changed the 2nd "Films - Physical" to "Films - Digital" as I figured that was your intent. Smile
I’ve never bought a digital version of a movie or TV show and I don’t think I ever will.

Digital games and music is one thing - it’s often the only way to buy it - but a digital license for a movie or show is a bridge I can’t cross. And hearing about Amazon Prime taking those away from people when some contractual agreement ends is just ridiculous.
And hearing about Amazon Prime taking those away from people when some contractual agreement ends is just ridiculous.
Originally Posted by zoidberg1339
This right here is why I am just about always getting physical copies over the connivence of digital. When it comes to films and TV shows, I use digital which is very convenient to watch, and to determine if it is something that I would want to own. I don't blindly just buy to have. I really have to like it. Not owning physical also means that at the whim of whoever they can digitally edit whatever they want for what ever reason. I want to see it as the creator intended it to be in the time it was created.

Perfect example was the Chinese version of Fight Club where the ending doesn't happen and the authorities win. Ha!

Lets also not forgot all the commentary tracks and behind the scene stuff. I love all that extra footage and insight.

Games are the same, physical copies over digital. Same reason as above, however if they are throwing free games at me digitally I will take them. The Division I bought on disc and then it was a GotM so I took them up on it for the connivence. I don't share my Xbox with anyone so it is not a big deal to me to pop in a disc.

Music is the least consumed media for me, I have CDs that I have digitized and I will listen to them mostly when I am driving. I rarely listen to music at home.

Let me also add that I think if you really love something, you go that extra mile to own it physically. You display it and you enjoy the tactile feel of what you bought. No one is taking that away from anyone.
Last edited 11-22-2022 at 07:50 PM by MarvzMitts.
Let me also add that I think if you really love something, you go that extra mile to own it physically. You display it and you enjoy the tactile feel of what you bought. No one is taking that away from anyone.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
https://giphy.com/gifs/asks-fieri-de...-DfbpTbQ9TvSX6
Originally Posted by C64 Mat
LOL, That really made me laugh as I thought for sure it was going to be a crazy news story / counter point about stuff being confiscated...and I was all ready to respond with a Deitrich style bunker of contraband from V for Vendetta.
Storage is too cheap, and it is far too easy to have multiple back-ups of everything you own. I have had my collections destroyed in natural disasters, and the stuff I had digitally, I still have. Even if I buy something physical, the first thing I do is make it a digital copy, then throw the physical copy in a closet, or sell it.
I collect Games, Music, TV and films digitally.

Otherwise I wouldn't have room for my Comics.
I like to buy xbox one games in digital (cheaper) and 360 on disc, mostly my collection is made up of more than 70 360 games and then only 5 xbox one haha, I love buying all the junk I find cheap by cex or a times per buying and selling app

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account