Epic Challenge 2016

Gaming Chat

Which scoring system do you prefer for Epic Challenge 2016

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 13 (41.94%) Keep Epic Challenge 2015 scoring.

× 18 (58.06%) Simplify scoring by making retail and arcade games weighted equally.

• Added 12-28-2015 08:05 AM
  • 31 votes
Arcade #161
The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match
Highest 1.90
Originally Posted by MrGompers
Think you meant this to go in the Epic Challenge 2015 thread?
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I knew it would be difficult to tell which poll votes were legit, but from the feedback I see so far, we will go with the new scoring system where all games are weighted equally and the Epic Points for each game will just be the highest TA ratio.

I agree with the points that gamerscore available does not really equate to difficulty or time to complete, especially with all the ID@xbox games that are out now. I actually think that often WP and Win8 games have TA ratios that are undervalued since slightly more "hardcore" gamers tend to play on these additional platforms, and most don't have the advantage of DLC that tends to raise the high TA ratio.

I will keep a copy of the 2015 scoring spreadsheet in case we decide to go back to this scoring in the future.

Also please remember to join the Epic Challenge 2016 Unofficial Completed Games Leaderboard if you have signed up and not done so yet.
Arcade #161
The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match
Highest 1.90
Originally Posted by MrGompers
completely wrong thread
Think you meant this to go in the Epic Challenge 2015 thread?
Originally Posted by Elem3ntal80
Yea I deleted from this thread.
Is the competition active? I have a hard time figuring out the different time zones.

When is a game complete? DLC incl or excl?
Sign me up!

As for the points, games are games now. Not really sure why they were ever treated differently. It's not like an "arcade" title is automatically easier... It always depends on the game.

I agree with eliminating BP and making the TA the score.
Originally Posted by spankyNspronkle
The contest was originally created by Mighty Mango, General Tynstar and a few others on 360v at least 6 years ago, when there was a much bigger difference between retail and arcade, and no WP, Win8/10 or Indy games to speak of. Was a different time. Smile
Is the competition active? I have a hard time figuring out the different time zones.

When is a game complete? DLC incl or excl?
Originally Posted by Musquito
Competition is now going for 2016. A game is not complete until all current achievements have been earned (including 0gs achievements). If there is DLC out for it already, then it must be completed as well. If new DLC comes out, you don't lose your completion. If you do recomplete it however, you must repost with the new TA score (be quick, or it could be a lower TA). Wink If someone else completes the same game, then the TA score they post becomes the active score for it, possibly raising or lowering the score you posted. So you could complete a game @5.0 TA score, but if someone completes it later, that score would be adjusted to whatever they post, higher or lower.
Last edited 01-01-2016 at 02:30 PM by Buckswana.
Competition is now going for 2016. A game is not complete until all current achievements have been earned (including 0gs achievements). If there is DLC out for it already, then it must be completed as well. If new DLC comes out, you don't lose your completion. If you do recomplete it however, you must repost with the new TA score (be quick, or it could be a lower TA). Wink If someone else completes the same game, then the TA score they post becomes the active score for it, possibly raising or lowering the score you posted. So you could complete a game @5.0 TA score, but if someone completes it later, that score would be adjusted to whatever they post, higher or lower.
Originally Posted by Buckswana
Thanks for the explanation. I am new to this competition, so I will learn it on the way.
Yes, Epic Challenge 2016 is now active. Everything that Buckswana posted is also correct.

This shouldn't come down to the last minute, but in case it does, I set the cutoff for posting completions at midnight pacific time at the end of this year, and updated the rules.

Also, as stated in the rules, try to post your completions in a reasonable time after you complete them. I am not going to be super strict on this since it would be hard to keep track off, but just try not to post 3 months of completions all at once.

Good luck everyone and have fun!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.
Kicking things off...and I'm not counting my completions myself, the spreadsheet will do that for me.

Pneuma: Breath of Life
Soul 1.72

Giana Sisters: Dream Runners
Owlverkill 1.34

(also, that put me over 20k for the week, with a day and a half to spare)
Slice Zombies for Kinect
2.09 - The Winner Takes It All
Completion #1
Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition
Home - 1.13
Completion #1
Kinect Sesame Street TV DVD
1.77 (Herd 'Em Cowboy)

Completion #2
Kinect Fun Labs: Mars Rover Landing
3.31 (Integrity)
Completion #1