Porsche's Movie Reviews - American Sniper

Entertainment

Found 17 posts - Go to Last Post

Where do I start? Maybe I should preface what I am about to write with the recognition that, as a modern military veteran, modern military movies have a special bias and compassion in my heart and in my mind. I found myself thoroughly enjoying films like Zero Dark Thirty and Act of Valor, among countless others, because I am, or was, part of that world. Having met and known actual soldiers who were on the ground during the events of Black Hawk Down and having met and briefly interacted with Marcus Luttrell, the actual person from the Lone Survivor movie, I have a deep connection with the world of modern conflict. Because of this, my review may be skewed and biased, but for what it's worth, here it is:

American Sniper is the Clint Eastwood directed film about Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, the Legendary most lethal sniper in American military history. It chronicalizes Kyle's youth and upbringing, decision to join the services, and his extensive and impressive career, culminating in his unfortunate early demise by the hands of a fellow veteran in February 2013. If that's a spoiler for you, then you're disconnected from this entirely. Bradley Cooper portrays Chris Kyle, and does a performance that is unsettling and perfect. I have never seen Mr. Cooper dive so deep into a role, and play it so effectively. It is said that he had undergone many of the training regiments and learned new skills so he could play Kyle better, and his dedication to it really shows. I would hope that he wins the Oscar he so richly deserves from this ritualistic and now forever iconic performance.

Sienna Miller dons the mask of Tara Kyle, Chris' sweet and complicated spouse. She wears the role of worried housewife and mother during his deployments astoundingly well and convincingly accurate. Her story and participation in the film is limited to short inter-deployment scenes where they meet, marry, parent, and turmoil. Her engagement to the role is spot-on to the stereotypical veteran spouse who worries about her husband and his experiences - rightfully so. She nails it, and makes the film that much more enjoyable. All the other roles played out are fantastic and finish creating the theme that Eastwood accurately desired.

The story centralizes Kyle's sacrifices to himself, declaring God, Country, Family to an emotionally wounded brother in arms, and the damage carries over. The iconic ending scene Jeremy Renner put out in Hurt Locker is faithfully regurgitated here, but in a much more believable stance. The enemy, when discovering how lethal Kyle is, puts an international bounty on his head, and the game is set forth in both being hunted and hunting. It is this Froggy HOG that prevails as a soldier, but fails as a father and husband until the two come crashing together. Bradley Cooper sheds tears that are so convincing, you may forget that you are actually watching an actor act. He decides after 4 tours and over 1000 days OCONUS (deployed), he's done. He quits the SEALS and fixes his family. He served his God, his Country, and his Family. The film lays on the both spectrums of the anti-war proclamation and the pro defend-my-country persona that so many young men. myself included, feel deep in our souls. When America attacks, it is the sheepdogs that answered the call.

I highly recommend that film be watched in a cinematic setting. Waiting for DVD or digital would do it a massive disservice, both to your perception and Chris Kyle's memory. He fought the nasty battle, more brilliantly than most, and continued to hold his wounded warrior brothers high after he left the service. His dedication to his fellow man is well-documented and finely displayed for viewing - watch it while you can. Immerse yourself in the SEAL sniper world, the overwatch. The protectors, the Hunters of Gunmen.

I was flattened when I heard of his death. I felt a break occur, as if the universe was now so unbalanced, it was going to explode. The final few minutes of the film are dedicated to his massive memorial service, attended to by several tens of thousands across all of Texas. Chris Kyle was a real American. A true patriot. A real iconic idol. His death was a great loss in the modern military world. RIP Chief. I don't have a Trident, but you can have my tab.
Last edited 01-17-2015 at 01:10 AM by porschephiliac.
In progress
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
Yeah hurry up and put in a placeholder so no one can take your forum space. Smart!
Yeah hurry up and put in a placeholder so no one can take your forum space. Smart!
Originally Posted by Kaens
It's a work ethic thing. I put it down, then I write it right away! Look now, it's finished. Big Grin
It's a work ethic thing. I put it down, then I write it right away! Look now, it's finished. Big Grin
Right, otherwise you'll endure ridicule for not doing it! I am very much looking forward to seeing the movie, because I am a fan of the man.
Seeing it with some friends this weekend, i just finished watching the special on Hannity and now i can't wait.
I'm still reeling over it. All night long. The contributions to the world that the man had done is incredible.
Watched it last night and it was awesome. Very well done and easily one of the most realistic military based films I've seen in a long time. Even the simple things were done right. Unlike video games, they obviously had some very good consultants. When Kyle was in training the trainer even got on his ass about shooting on exhale, in between heartbeats, and that the trigger squeeze should be so slow and steady that it actually takes you by surprise when the rifle fires. It f**king drives me absolutely insane when I see a game with the "hold breath to steady your shot" horsecrap. Holding your breath is how you think it's done when you're three...then you learn how to do it right. But all of that ridiculousness was kept FAR away from this film. It was almost perfect, imo.

Plus, when I first heard Cooper had the lead I thought it was an odd choice but apparently I don't know crap because he was absolutely perfect for the part and completely nailed it. Not once did Hangover Cooper cross my mind.

Also, the end was extremely well done. No sensationalizing which would have taken away from the movie as a whole. The way they did it was all about his life, not death.

Books aside (I've read neither, yet) I think it blows Lone Survivor out of the water. Mostly because I believe Kyle's actions throughout the movie mirror the way I'd like to think I would do things in the same situation much more-so than Lone Survivor. He was all about protecting his unit, moral compass be damned. He did things that would be extremely hard to live with afterwards, but it was always to protect the men by his side.
Porsche, you're a badass bro! Thanks for your service.

I really want to take my dad to this movie, but his PTSD from being a Marine during Vietnam may make even leaving the house hard knowing this movie is in store. I'm still going to ask.

Have you seen what Seth Rogen and Michael Moore wrote on Twitter about the movie? Not like it matters, but those are two people I couldn't give a shit less about anymore. American Sniper seems like the best movie ever made, and those two talentless hacks are saying some insane stuff about it. Seth is saying it reminds him of Nazi Propaganda. Moore called all snipers cowards, yet he has a bleeding heart over the true cowards at Columbine...
Rogen's comment was obtuse and people flipped. Hard to say for sure if it was negative or just poorly written.

Moore's comments make me sick. He attacked the man, a real American patriot directly. Pathetic.
It's strange, I heard that the movie was supposed to be based on the story of one of the best snipers of all time, but I noticed he hard scoped the entire movie. There were no trick shots or anything. Kind of seems like they're just marketing it as the story of one of the best snipers ever to sell tickets..
Just my opinion by the way.
It's strange, I heard that the movie was supposed to be based on the story of one of the best snipers of all time, but I noticed he hard scoped the entire movie. There were no trick shots or anything. Kind of seems like they're just marketing it as the story of one of the best snipers ever to sell tickets..
Just my opinion by the way.
Originally Posted by Langhostio
Pretty sure that "best" is subjective and depend on your criteria. Chris is the most lethal, having the most confirmed kills, in US history. If you define "best" by who hit the longest sniper shot he's only 8th in history of the world. These records are kinda like who has the longest FG in NFL history, the scenarios where you attempt a 62 yard FG are so rare there are probably tons of guys that could beat that.

By my criteria, Chris is easily one of the best ever, but you can make an argument about opportunity, equipment, whatever. I saw some documentaries on Carlos Hathcock who was in Vietnam and he did some CRAZY stuff, hard shots, long solo missions, sniper duels, etc and you could definitely make a case for him.

If you think who can do 'trick shots' is how you define the best sniper, you probably been playing too much Call of Duty.
Thanks all for the comments, keep it up!

The Tom Berringer Sniper movie series was loosely based on Hathcock's legend. Dude is a crazy mofo.

We employed for like 12 years at my shop a Marine scout sniper, and he only has 5 confirmed kills - the requirements for getting a confirmed kill are quite hard, so knowing Kyle had over 160.... damn.

I'm not going to expend any energy into the liberal mindset. Moore is a complete waste of existence. I hadn't heard about Rogen's comments, but he's an idiot too, but in a comedic way. I dunno, it's very tiring trying to keep up with the politics that somehow get involved in everything. I just live my life the best I know how; f*ck what stupid people say.
Thanks all for the comments, keep it up!

The Tom Berringer Sniper movie series was loosely based on Hathcock's legend. Dude is a crazy mofo.

We employed for like 12 years at my shop a Marine scout sniper, and he only has 5 confirmed kills - the requirements for getting a confirmed kill are quite hard, so knowing Kyle had over 160.... damn.

I'm not going to expend any energy into the liberal mindset. Moore is a complete waste of existence. I hadn't heard about Rogen's comments, but he's an idiot too, but in a comedic way. I dunno, it's very tiring trying to keep up with the politics that somehow get involved in everything. I just live my life the best I know how; f*ck what stupid people say.
Definitely agree on Moore. Rogan's comments were more along the lines of Kyle being portrayed as a saint. The problem with his thinking is that none of us know Kyle...maybe he actually WAS a nice, respectable guy. I realize that 99% of the people you'll ever meet have some type of skeletons in their closet but there are some good folks out there...maybe Kyle was one of them. It's not like they're going to write in a fake scene where he knocks his kids teeth out just to compensate for a world who expects everyone to be somewhat evil.

Plus, depending on your personal POV, he wasn't portrayed as a saint anyway..

For example, those who thought the guys in Lone Survivor did the right thing by letting the goat herders go would probably take issue with Kyle for shooting a kid...grenade or not. I am not even close to being in that camp, personally, but YMMV
I haven't seen the movie yet; not sure if I will - no offense to the man; I just don't typically watch these movies on the big screen. I have been following this thread and just read the comments by Rogan and Moore. I think that Rogan just didn't make his initial statement clear enough and choose to believe that he did not mean to offend. Moore, on the other hand, is a complete idiot and tool. He clearly made a blanket statement about snipers. Just because he did not directly reference the movie or Kyle, he still called the man a coward. His excuse here would not protect him from Mike Tyson if he said that all black people were cowards, so why does he think this situation would be different. I can't say for sure that I've seen anything that he's done, but I can say for sure that I will make it a point to never do so in the future.
Every year I plan my Vegas trip and every friggin year I completely forget about the gun show! Sooner or later I will schedule my trip so I can be there for it!

Chris Kyle’s Widow Appeared at SHOT Show to Support Sniper Group

$62 grand for a .338 Lapua. That's insane! It's awesome that it went so high though since it was for charity.
Every year I plan my Vegas trip and every friggin year I completely forget about the gun show! Sooner or later I will schedule my trip so I can be there for it!

Chris Kyle’s Widow Appeared at SHOT Show to Support Sniper Group

$62 grand for a .338 Lapua. That's insane! It's awesome that it went so high though since it was for charity.
Originally Posted by SG Steelhead
I'd definitely be interested in going if I can meet Taya and give her a big hug. Going to see it again tonight with a few buddies, I'll see how a second viewing adjusts my review. Thanks again for the comments!

As far as political tweets, people are allowed their opinion, but famous people should have their thoughts checked before released. Might have saved Rogen from hassle, but Moore continues to crucify himself.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account